Anyone have a Diesel Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a Diesel Yet?

I'm interested in your thought's and real work mileage for them. Also are they selling? or Did the dealers have to pick one up and now they are sitting on the lots?

To me it seems the only logical way to own a truck now days is diesel and my wife loves them.

I just don't like the Audi's looks or else the 3rd row would be a draw for us.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upgraded from a 2011 Touareg TDI to a 2013 Cayenne Diesel. Liked the Touareg, love the Cayenne. Better performance AND better fuel economy. If you want an idea of how well they're selling, just ask a dealer for one under MSRP.

//greg//
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

They started getting delivered in late Aug and early Sept.

They don't seem to be sitting long on the dealer lots in my area, but I know they are getting them.

There doesn't seem to be any appreciable waiting lists for build slots that you can customize to your liking. I put my order in just before the early Oct slots got locked, so no wait at my dealer.

Seems a mixed bag if you can get a good deal or not. I saw one person claim a 6% discount in CA, 4 seems to be the norm, but there have also been complaints of 0 too.

There have been a few discussions of their MPG and it generally sounds like you can get it or better if you can drive economically. If you drive it hard, not so much but it's still much better than the V6 or V8 engines under similar driving.

Contrary to the numbers, most people seem to think it feels like the S as far as the acceleration (diesel torque is addictive) so it seems to fit well between the base and S models.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was actually thinking of resale down the line with the ask on how they are selling. When jeep came out with their Diesel lineup they literally sat on the lots for ages. Wanted to see if that story would repeat here. Touregs seem to hold up well in the secondary market (2011 are avging at $36-37 dealer cost), which should translate to Porsche.Time will tell.

I think its a good replacement for our LR3.

like to get some impressions of them
Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In 5-7 years I bet the diesels will have held their resale value WAY better than any of the gas models.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

also I bet I am thinking is a good one. I've been following the dealer auctions for the touregs and they do well as outlined above.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Be careful betting on resale. P!gs are still a niche market (VWs have a much larger market share compared to Audi or Porsche) and diesels are a niche market for normal consumer vehicles still. Both of those will work against you.

Always buy a new car expecting that you'll get 100% of its value (whatever that value is to you) out of it in the time you plan to own it. Then whatever you can get out of it when you sell it is gravy. If you have to worry about resale value, no new car (and certainly not a luxury one) is a good buy for you.

Very few cars are good or even safe investments.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha, well i dont buy new cars period.. i can't play the depreciation game anymore. But having been into diesels for a while.. I have noticed a strong trend towards them holding value much better relative to gas counterparts.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Kinnaxan
4th Gear

Pick my CD up last Friday just a great ride plenty of power is everything and more I thought it would be. Avg right around 25 mpg on first tank mostly around town. Depending on the market anywhere from a $100 off MSRP to $3500 off within a 200 mile radius. I had been looking since 2011 MY came out so they knew I would wait for a deal....there r deals to be made.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Aremee
5th Gear

Is a niche market for sure, but the people who are looking for a diesel Cayenne 3 or 5 years down the road will have limited availability and this will drive up the values. I may not be attractive to the main steam market, but for people who are looking for that specific vehicle, they will be hard to find. Example is to try as a find a used V-10 Diesel Toureg. Impossible. When you do find it they are crazy money. But when they were new, no one wanted them nor knew they existed.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tend to buy Niche vehicles, mostly b/c I find them interesting (hell I drive a LR Defender 90 as my DD). I'm going to start the process and see if its the right truck for us. It'll be my Wife's daily driver. As I am going to carry on with the 90.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Ha, well i dont buy new cars period.. i can't play the depreciation game anymore.
heh heh , we agree, but the bloody CD here in Oz just is not depreciating enough!
So we ordered new and got the extras we wanted. We couldn't get many of our preferred extras on s/h cars. in the end the premium was not that much, & our enjoyment will out weigh the cost.

One area is buying the super expensive wheel sets. We brought with 18" & fitting after market 20".

On the other side, if the RR 4.4 V8 had been better then our original plan would've worked with an expected 25% saving on a 6mth old car.
Our driveway has $750,000 of new car value now worth maybe $110,000 on a good day on cars which apart from the 928 are 10years old from new.

& yes i also reckon the CD drives better than the V8!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Be careful betting on resale. P!gs are still a niche market (VWs have a much larger market share compared to Audi or Porsche) and diesels are a niche market for normal consumer vehicles still. Both of those will work against you.
I've been driving diesels since 1985, and back then I'd agree with the "niche" comment. But in my experience, they've consistently returned better resale/trade value than their counterpart gasoline version. Example; back in '95 I bought a 10 year old Mercedes 300CD with 170k that had been languishing in a Chevy dealer lot for months. Nobody wanted a high mileage foreign diesel back then. Book price was ~$13k, I paid $6980 out the door. For years, folks would ask me "why diesel?". Drove it for 16 years, and hadt the last laugh when I got $6000 trade-in for it last year. Dealer had it resold within 3 weeks.

Twenty years ago, the diesel choice was pretty much limited to E-class Mercedes, small VWs, a Japanese compact pickup, and huge 3/4 and 1 ton American pickups and utility vehicles. A niche. But today the diesel selection has widened appreciably, and is growing yearly. GM for example is now selling a 2013 Chevy Cruze diesel. And as this segment grows, folks start taking a second look at used diesels. Increased sales in the new segment seldom results in anything less than appreciated resale values in the used segment.

//greg//
Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

I have had my CD now for over 2 months and have logged almost 5,000kms. Absolutely love the handling and the torque, as it has plenty of power for spirited daily driving. This is my first Porsche and I couldn't be happier with the CD.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the weight of the diesel. Is it lighter or heavier than the V8 gas version? Part of the reason to like a Cayenne is the sportiness of it compared to other SUVs, so I'm wondering how much the diesel might take away from this.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Diesel Yet?