Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Input on Land Rover Evoque or Porsche Cayenne SUV (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/709947-input-on-land-rover-evoque-or-porsche-cayenne-suv.html)

TexasRider 08-03-2012 12:57 PM

Input on Land Rover Evoque or Porsche Cayenne SUV

Cross posted from OT.

Ok guys I know I am in for a kicking now , but I need the RL inputs here . :)

I am looking for a new smaller scale SUV for Mrs. TexasRider.

She has had the X-5 and did not like it so much, and the Cadillac Escalade too that she likes but she wants something a bit smaller - she is doing her part for downsizing and greening . The Escalade price keeps esca-lating too - Yikes !

We went to Land Rover yesterday and she thought the Sport was .... well too Land Rover-ish. But the supercharged Sport can sure haul A. onroad .

But she liked the new Range Rover Evoque . And while I do too, I still remember the bad old days of Land Rover relability. It happens when you been around as long I have.

She hasnt driven a Cayenne yet, but she thinks Porsche is more "sport", the Cadillac SRX is more luxury, and the Range Rover might be in between. It is spliiting hairs there, but I am pretty sure the Rover is better in inclement weather, and the Porsche is faster, no doubt. She might be on to someting too as the larger Range Rovers are probably due for somewhat of a styling refresh here sometime soon.

I can get going and order her a Range Rover but I only have about a week , and then I am in it . So I am asking for the broader knowledge and inputs of the RLers, especially on the Range Rover in terms of its mechanicals and reliability on the newest models.

I searched around but there was not a lot of information on the Evoque out there. I saw it was so called designed, or maybe introduced, by Victoria Beckham. Hmm.. Ok.. but that doesnt mean much, unless it REALLY was designed by her, in which case NOT would be the answer. I guess even Land Rover needs Bling these days !

Interestingly the new Range Rover Evoque has evoked the Range Rover purist crowd in about the same way the Cayenne sat with the Porsche purists .

Thanks !

Divot 08-03-2012 01:14 PM

Ignore Lewis!

Slow Guy 08-03-2012 01:22 PM

She hasnt driven a Cayenne yet, but she thinks Porsche is more "sport", the Cadillac SRX is more luxury, and the Range Rover might be in between. It is spliiting hairs there, but I am pretty sure the Rover is better in inclement weather, and the Porsche is faster, no doubt. She might be on to someting too as the larger Range Rovers are probably due for somewhat of a styling refresh here sometime soon.
Don't know what weather you're planing on driving in but I can't imagine it being more than the Cayenne can handle. While the Cayenne does have it's "issues" that's not one of them. It also has the "sport" part down in spades.

Slow Guy 08-03-2012 01:31 PM

BTW, this discussion has also been taking place in the 993 forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...uv-lately.html

TexasRider 08-03-2012 01:35 PM

If she takes it to Nebraska in the winter then she could see a lot more weather than we have here in Houston.

XR4Tim 08-03-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by TexasRider (Post 9737650)
And while I do too, I still remember the bad old days of Land Rover relability. It happens when you been around as long I have.

It hasn't been that long. I've done loads of work on 2002-2005 Land Rovers - some of the worst engineering I've seen. No experience with the Evoque however. Maybe they fixed everything. I've heard the Supercharged Range Rovers are considerably more reliable than the others too.

Andy E. 08-03-2012 01:55 PM

Purchase or Lease? If you're handing the keys back after a few years, I'd say go for it. The Evoque has advanced styling and begs for stares.

On the other hand, if you plan to purchase the Evoque, I would strongly suggest against it. While many (not all) of the reliability issues have been adressed by Tata (new owners of Jaguar/Land Rover Group), there are still other factors to think of:
1) High depreciation of any Land Rover product (or any British car for that matter)
2) Cost of servicing/maintenance
3) Buying a beta version of any production car. Ask an owner of a 2003 Cayenne....
4) Advanced futuristic styling will tone down after a few years and will become mundane

TexasRider 08-03-2012 02:10 PM

^^^^^

Thanks Andy and Tim . Both solid. While we generally lease them she was thinking of buying this one. I said we would be SURE, double sure to get an extended Land Rover factory warranty. But it is still an aggravating mess to be in the shop all the time.

TexasRider 08-03-2012 02:13 PM

This little tidbit - but I have seen a fair amount of "good" JD Powers go bad, as well as the "bad" go good. But Land Rover HAD to benefit from Fords ownership. Now if there is even ONE Lucas electric part in it - then I am off of it LOL ! :)

http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/20...2-682x1024.jpg

ltc 08-03-2012 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Divot (Post 9737690)
Ignore Lewis!

Truer words have never been spoken.

ltc 08-03-2012 02:55 PM

If you're concerned with "green", get the Cayenne Hybrid, or perhaps the Cayenne Diesel.

If you are going to own a P!g, barring a prenup agreement, an extended warranty is an absolute must.
I am not sure if a Porsche dealer will sell you a Porsche extended warranty on a new P!g; they may offer you an aftermarket (Hawaii Five O) warranty.

I still remember the last time Larry's widow was at the Porsche dealership (picking up her 993 Targa from service IIRC). She saw the new Cayenne and Panamera, I asked her if she wanted one, and I would type her response, but forum rules prevent it.

TexasRider 08-03-2012 03:05 PM

The "green " is a little bit - more the green in my pocket. ;)

I did not ask on the Porsche , but when I did before it had a factory warranty. But I will get it on the Land Rover one way or the other, and a factory one too- or I will just check the box marked "Lease" . Or the box marked " something else. ;) " I only accept the factory warranty or extendeds . Been like that a long time.

endless_corners 08-03-2012 04:02 PM

I think the evoque is more comparable to an X3 or GLK or Q5... the cayenne is bigger.. NO?

XR4Tim 08-03-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by TexasRider (Post 9737733)
If she takes it to Nebraska in the winter then she could see a lot more weather than we have here in Houston.

I would also note that having driven several Cayennes in Alaska, you will not likely see weather that it can't handle. Land Rover's 4wd system is better, but you won't need it unless you plan on some serious off-roading.

grohgreg 08-03-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by endless_corners (Post 9738083)
I think the evoque is more comparable to an X3 or GLK or Q5... the cayenne is bigger.. NO?

x2. Ya just beat me to it. Plus the Evoque is a 4-banger. The upcoming Macan will be the Porsche closest in class to the Evoque.

//greg//