Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Xenon Headlight Leveling Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Unfortunately, have not had the time to pull the little point for the battery strap. I have an oil change coming up soon, and was just planning on having the dealership try some magic first, now that I replaced it.

Basically have been living with the annoying sound when the lights come, however my headlights have stopped doing the bobbing thing when driving and are steady now.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:44 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
Try doing a battery reset, (this proceure is for a singlebattery car only) in front of the drivers seat there is small plastic cover on the floor, pull up this cover. there will be a 13mm nut holding down a ground cable remove this nut and lift the cable. Now get a pair of jumper cables and grab on to the ground stud make sure you are not touching the cable in anyway. Now pop the hood and uncover the red covered jump start point + . Now make sure you are not touching that ground cable, you are just hooked to the stud the able is all byitself not toching anything. touch the other end of your jumper cable to the + you may get a small spark the first touch but should be no spark after that. If it sparks again you have a dual battery car stop now. If it does not spark clamp the cable to the + point and go get a drink.
It really only needs 30 seconds to clear every thing.
Remove your jumper cable and attach the ground cable Your faults will be cleared if they are no longer present.
Thanks, I just tried this today, left if for about 5 minutes. The windows, codes, abs, alarm settings, and some misc comfort settings had to be reset, but other than that, I still get the error whenever my headlights come on. I assume at this point my headlights have to be adjusted or something else is broken.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a way to determine which sensor is faulty?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Is there a way to determine which sensor is faulty?
I think this is a piwis only option for us. I seem to recall I suspected the front one was the problem on my car, I don't know why though. Did you do a full scan of your car for all the module errors?

I do remember when I asked the dealer, they confirmed, which made me buy just the one.

Perhaps my back one is shot too
Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Following up on this thread. I would like to replace the sensors myself. My questions are:
1) Has anyone been able to clear the error code at home?
2) Does the light adjustment work properly without clearing the error code?
3) Do the front and rear sensors have different part numbers, or are they both 955 341 076 21?
4) Is it usually the front or rear one that goes bad?

I'm thinking about doing the rear one first, because when a rear passenger exits the car, I notice the light tries to adjust itself.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:12 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by racer_65
Following up on this thread. I would like to replace the sensors myself. My questions are:
1) Has anyone been able to clear the error code at home?
2) Does the light adjustment work properly without clearing the error code?
3) Do the front and rear sensors have different part numbers, or are they both 955 341 076 21?
4) Is it usually the front or rear one that goes bad?

I'm thinking about doing the rear one first, because when a rear passenger exits the car, I notice the light tries to adjust itself.
Dealer told me if you just replace it, should be fine if it is fitted EXACTLY like the old one, however mine was physically broken, was was probably adjusted once so everything was off. Only way I new at that point was to have the readings from the sensor set to match what it was told was level, etc.

You can download the PDF from Porsche that has all the part numbers, I believe they are both the same, but double check. Any parts dealer should be able to tell you.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:05 PM
bekks
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm bringing this up again.
Did anyone find a solution to clearing the warning? I have a broken arm in the back, but I'm thinking that if I crawl under while it is flat, I should be able to adjust it to where it should be. Anyway to tell if my sensor is bad and it wasn't just the broken arm that put it out of position?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:10 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

The code needs to be cleared via durametric or piwis and the home position for the headlights needs to be recoded.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:58 PM
Scott McKinney
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same issue on my 2006 Cayenne S, warning message states, Check Headlamp Beam Adjustment. I have replaced both front and rear height sensors but nothing has been fixed. Any idea on how to fix this issue?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:13 PM
touareg
Drifting

In the end I think I had to take it to the dealer, they re-calibrated it.

My understanding is, for example, the old one says your car is level at 30hms resistance, you place the new one in, and even though your car is level, it is reading 38ohms. So it cant adjust for that range, and triggers the warning.

Been too long ago for me to remember. Sorry! Durametric has had a few updates since then, worth checking I suppose.

Quick Reply: Replacing Xenon Headlight Leveling Sensor