Sponsored by:

remember the lambo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 04:02 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

My brother has a body shop in PA and dreads when 911s come in (other then the dough that the owner will dole out ). He says there are more different size screws holding the body panels to the tub that it boarders on ridiculous.

Later...
Old 06-10-2002, 12:40 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we have (once again) stumbled upon one of the fundementals of Porsche's appeal. Dr. Ferdinand was clearly an engineering genius, and the 911 was/is the fulfillment of his far-reaching concept for efficient and sporting transport. He began to develop this at Austro-Daimler, then at Benz, further researched via Auto Union GP & LSR cars, reduced to production status w/ the KdF-VW, his tight-knit family start-up yielded the 356, then the 911 evolution of today that we "know & love". An engineering expression bridging 80 years is impressive to say the least.

I view the lengthy evolution (& the mundane evidence of it, like "all those different screws") as resulting in a unique and superior sportscar. I am convinced that it is so good because it is the product of a singular genius who was, well, right - he came up with the correct answer (for his goals, for the times, for the state of the technology). All the weird aspects of the design & the seemingly infinite "guilding-of-the-lily" that we bemoan are an intimate part of the legacy. No creative genius, no weird side issues, no 911.

In a way, I guess that brings us back to the C, and to much of the purist-reactionary wailng about the "soul of Porsche". Ferdinand (& Ferry) is gone, & while PAG is great in talent and appreciation (or leveraging) of his legacy... you can't go home again.

The 996 is a fine 911, informed by all its forebearers, but we all note the change from creative concept to exemplary execution of a matured product. That is what I expect from the C, exemplary execution (inc. small selection of screws needed) and solid profitability. So the 911 legacy will be respected and carried forth, even in the context of a 21st century niche market. That may be the best we can hope for, and that may not be too bad - that is what is supposed to happen with genius' ideas.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:23 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Silverbullet951:
<strong>that's not the point. Lamborghini started out by making tractors and off road vehicles. That's why it will never be forgotten. unless porsche want to start making tractors, then I don't recomend making this truck. I guess porsche wants to do the opposite of lamborghini.
porsche should stick to sports cars.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If I remember correctly the very first Porsche ever was red/orange tractor. I haven't been, but if you go to the museum in Stuttgart I'm told it's there. I have seen pictures as I'm sure many have.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:15 PM
cmoss

Might also point out that during WWII, Porsche designed and made tanks(Tiger Tank, Ferdinand Self-Propelled Gun) and engines for the German military. Find a picture of a Tiger Tank engine. Look at that engine, then look at the flat-12 of the 917. Even the cooling fan looks the same.
Chris
Old 06-13-2002, 09:21 PM
cmoss

Sorry, Porsche did not win the final design for the Tiger, that went to Henschel another company.
Chris
Old 06-17-2002, 04:42 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
FYI the Porsche tractor was displayed in the Porsche museum in Zuffenhausen when I visited in March....
Also they had a 959 from Pari Dakar and in the Porche Zentrum an empty crate with Cayenne plastered on it...
Finally right outside the factory a huge billboard had a Cayenne picture with the following script:
"Cayenne. The Next Porsche"

Quick Reply: remember the lambo?