Sponsored by:

Key unluck work regularly for anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 06:40 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts
Post Key unluck work regularly for anyone else

Too bad they use on one button for both lock and unlock. I can hit the button ten time and it will just keep locking the doors on ocassion. Give up us key most of the time. Anyone else experiencing issue with renote key lock and unlock feature.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Stirs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once the key is pressed to lock the doors it enters a locking cycle which takes a few seconds. If you press they button again during this cycle it simply restarts the cycle and will not unlock the doors. Wait at least 4-5 seconds are you lock the doors before trying to unlock them. I do agree that range of the keyless entry is lousy and since their is no audible signal it is difficult to tell when the doors unlock without trying them. (You can program the signal for the locking function).
Old 05-23-2003, 06:28 PM
rocketman
AutoX

stirs,

do you know if the range is a circuit issue or due to old/weak battery (although the battery shouldn't be weak for a new car)?

We had a mercedes that was the same way - had to get within 10-15 ft before it would work. I gotta honda that will lock/unlock from halfway across a parking lot.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Stirs
Instructor

I think it's inherent in the system and not battery related as neither or my remotes work any different and it seems to be widely reported.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:23 PM
dawktah
Racer

I tried just pushing button on the key yesterday and doors didn't unlock, I had to come around and grab handle for it to open. I guess this is the same problem. Based on my other car you should hit button on remote and lights should flash once to signal unlock. Didn't happen.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:17 PM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

dawktah, sounds like you have keyless entry! After a month, I still can't leave my pepper with 100% confidence in it being locked...
Old 05-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by SurfCayenne:
<strong>dawktah, sounds like you have keyless entry! After a month, I still can't leave my pepper with 100% confidence in it being locked...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Really?
Have you tested this?
I mean, have you put the key in your pocket (or such) then walked away, put the key on the ground and walked back to the car to see if the doors were locked?
Have you found the car to remain open long after the key has left the perimeter of the vehicle?
If so -- NOT okay. You can imagine it becoming a "game" for people to watch for Cayenne/Touareg/FX45/Mercedes to park down town and watch for the "oh so cool" driver to walk away without a key in hand and then go check the door before the system has a chance to arm itself. Of course, in San Francisco, this level of sophistication would only ever be a game since, well, bricks just aren't that hard to find ...
Old 05-26-2003, 12:21 PM
P-seller
User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by SurfCayenne:
<strong>dawktah, sounds like you have keyless entry! After a month, I still can't leave my pepper with 100% confidence in it being locked...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Here's what I do........Get out, touch button on handle, walk away. Its locked. instant peace of mind, no worries.

When returning, Ive noticed that the range varies with how much stuff is in your pocket with the key. Most times, it doenst unlock till I reach for the handle. Actually very cool, imo

Im waiting for someone to get dropped off at work or whatever, and have the driver drive away, only to discover that they dont have the key. The car will run till you shut it off......then...

Peace
PS
Old 05-27-2003, 01:03 AM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

I guess I need to clarify my history with the keyless entry.

First of all, the first week I owned my Cayenne, I had left the spare key in the car with all of the other dealer supplied items and manuals...duh! Doing so obviously confused the locking system (and owner!)

On the same note, the only minor problem that I have had with the car is the convenience settings on the onboard computer/chip won't stick.. Included in those settings are the horn/turn signal flash signals in the locking options. In other words, I don't get an audible or visual signal when locked. The dealer is looking into the problem so it's no big deal!

I love the keyless entry, but still am only 98% sure it's locked when I walk away.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:26 PM
dawktah
Racer

I have walked away and put key on ground and went back. Locked! Since I can hear an audible unlock when I reach for that handle I have been taking that to mean it was locked prior to reaching for the handle.

I also have tried changing settings on the computer and they wont stick. I read last night that you have to lock vehicle for settings to take place. I have a trip to dealer scheduled for tomorrow a.m. so this needs to be figured out.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:46 PM
ESKPORT
Intermediate

In order for locking changes to be remembered by the computer, you must lock the car with the key. The computer then remembers the settings. I don't believe the manual tells you this - someone on another board did. At least with the horn feature on, you hear two beeps when locking the truck.

The only difficulty I've had with the Entry and Drive is that sometimes the truck does not lock by pushing the button on the driver's handle. I just touch the back door instead.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:54 PM
turbobill
8th Gear

My TT NEVER locks when the key is out of range. Is it supposed to lock on its own? So when I go out to the garage to grab a manual, the door should be locked unless I bring the key with me? I know mine does not work that way--it only locks when I touch the button on the door handle, which is fine with me. I leave it unlocked in teh garage, and it has never locked itself, ever!
Old 06-01-2003, 10:23 PM
ESKPORT
Intermediate

Turbobill,
It's NOT supposed to lock when you walk away. You have to:
1) Touch the button on the handle (any of the 4)
2) Use the button on the key.

Quick Reply: Key unluck work regularly for anyone else