Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally rode ina Re-ECU'd Cayenne TT,,,WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 01:57 AM
RobertG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finally rode ina Re-ECU'd Cayenne TT,,,WOW!

First, here is what one passenger said while riding in the souped up Pepper at the same time as me. Then Ill post my response to his post.
Posted By: Funny Guy
Date: Saturday, 29 March 2003, at 8:32:01 p.m.

ok, fully loaded Cayenne TT, with new supped up ECU and 4 passengers, Jamey driving.

a) The Black TT looked much better in person than the silver S I saw last week. I can not tell why. Maybe the front is different, maybe the color, maybe both. Bottom line is that this car will not gain any new buyers due to its looks.

b) With the air suspension the TT sits lower than your average SUV. It looked more like an oversized station wagon. It also drives like an oversized station vagon. Much much better than the average SUV. Way less body roll. But not like a sedan with sport springs or a sports car. I can say I am impressed with the way it corners for such a big vehicle. You need to remember the size of the car before you push it too much.

c) Power. Plenty but the torque converter makes it so smooth that you do not feel it in a way you feel it in a 996T with Tiptronic. Bottom line: A lot of power but not that impressive as other reports mentioned. The car is big.

d) Quality? Average. A lot of **very** crappy small plastic parts in the interior; spread everywhere. That would be a big no-no for a car of this price. However, I want to be fair so I will say most new vehicles such as the new Mercs S, etc suffer from the same disease. The leather quality was very good though.

e) Value? Hmm, I will give it a zero. Way too expensive. I mean you can have the exact same car from VW, with the same or more torque, 2.5x better MPG (The TT will average 10MPG if driven as a Porsche), the same suspension for almost half the price. And many folks will call the Tuareg better looking too. I am not sure how this VW/Porsche will work out. You must be really dying to get the Porsche crest to sport so much more $$$. IMO .......................................................Now, My response
Posted By: Robert (Agoura Hills)
Date: Saturday, 29 March 2003, at 11:15:57 p.m.

In Response To: Cayenne TT test drive report with Robert Grant and Jamey ... (Funny Guy)

a) Beforethe ride, it was FUGLY to me. After the ride it was only UGLY to me.Lots of cheap trim on the outside.

b)the air suspension is great!its a mandatory option, Sport mode is the only way to go. Normal and Supple modes makes the SUV way too bouncy over speed bumps.

c) first time ive even been in a porsche with 3 other people and not be too cramped. Power on this ECU'd Pepper for an SUV was impressive. Although, when the gas is stomped. The front end lift and rear end squat is so big that you would think your going to pop a wheelie. But again, I was really impressed with the handling and power for something so heavy.Although, I do think the brakes are way over boosted.

d)Funny Guy is right, Inside the Pepper is going to be a major rattle trap in 30K miles. The lack of quality inside isnt about the big things. Its the little things. Like the cheap plastic grab handles on the roof. The B-piller air bag inserts were all loose as were 3 of the 4 outside door handles, Also the switch gear feels cheap as the little doors with folded plastic hinges that hide clothing hooks. The little things all add up, Also, I didnt think the leather was all that great. Even though it was incredibly uniform. It had the feeling that the color was spray painted on and had a rough feeling. Much different feeling than that of the new Mazerati Jamey had in the shop. That leather was smooth and supple.

e)Value? Hell no, None at all, But, Porsche is not known for value. Honestly, the Turbo should have been priced at $70 to $75K based on the quality of materials. I agree with Funny Guy, Porsche is going to have trouble with the VW Tuareg. It shares so much yet will cost less. the smart man or woman will get the VW Tuareg. But,that power is sweeeeeeeeeeet! and having it chipped makes it even more responive and peppier! Also, this fall Autoweek says that VW Will bring into the USA the Deisel Twin Turbo version. More torque than the CTT and you can get 20MPG.
Ps. Before ECU the Pepper got 10.6 MPG, After 10.3MPG.
I would say, ditch the "S" model and save your pennies and get the C Turbo.

That's all. I think Porsche overall did a great job for this vehicle segment. However, who needs this vehicle segment is a whole other question ...

PS: This report was reviewed and approved by the 4th passenger that we will not reveal here...
Old 03-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Excellent reading. But what's the story behind this re-mapped ECU?
And I fully agree that at around $75K, the Turbo would be a slam-dunk. At all but $100K, it's more a "statement" for the rich.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:40 AM
RobertG
Racer

i cant say who is doing the ECU. All I can say is that the person doing it. Is THE guru and is very famous in Porsche racing circles. He/they are getting ready to advertize and so I dont want to spill the beans anymore than I have.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:38 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

At the risk of disrobing the emperor, I'll venture that he also remapped my 993TT ECU with a drive and tune. He handles these projects for many, many different tuners, but generally remains in the background.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:38 PM
RobertG
Racer

Quick Reply: Finally rode ina Re-ECU'd Cayenne TT,,,WOW!