Cayenne S, new MAF solved idle issue, Rev much more free

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 AM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cayenne S, new MAF solved idle issue, Rev much more free

hello to everybody !

greetings from germany and some experience with my last DIY job. first of all excuse my mistakes in english language, i am not perfect.

i had several problems last weeks and coil and plug changing, filter replacement didnt solve it completely. take it to porsche, they told me dont worry everything ok.

we have 2 cayennes in our family and one of them is running very smooth like a V8 has to run in my opinion. so i know not everything is ok like porsche trying to explain me.

i read a lot here in the forum - at this point i have to say great help for me and members are very friendly and helpful with questions- and decided to try to solve the idle and rough feeling by changing the MAF sensors.

i dont need to explain how to do it, i guess everybody news. its a easy job even for a equity trader who dont have a lot of technical know how like me

just want to tell you something about the result.

Idle issue dissapeared, car ins running much more smooth

rev and engine power feels much better. before engine needs really some time to reach 6000 rev with kickdown. now its running very fast in direction 6000.

all in all i would say, the PIG is running much more better than before.

kind regards from Germany, Thomas
Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thomas, congrats on the successful DIY repair. Sorry to hear you sometimes run into the same attitude from repair techs as we do over here.

And your English is a heck of a lot better than my German.

Take care.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Can you help me on DIY on changing maf sensors? Just can't seem to find any info on changing out the maf. Thanks. Mike
Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Thomas, congrats on the successful DIY repair. Sorry to hear you sometimes run into the same attitude from repair techs as we do over here.

And your English is a heck of a lot better than my German.

Take care.
thank you. the difference between a german porsche forum and a us forum like rennlist is very easy.

here everybody happy to help each other. if you ask a simple question in a german forum many people making strange comments...... he is driving a porsche but no money for going to have a repair in a shop .... and other strange comments.

about my english.... i need it with my job. you for shure not:-)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Can you help me on DIY on changing maf sensors? Just can't seem to find any info on changing out the maf. Thanks. Mike

how can i help you? which car are you driving?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

What tools are needed and step by step process to locate maf- are there 2 of them? It's a 2006 cayenne s with 100k miles. My wife drives a fair bit ie true soccer mom. Issue at hand is car still has weird hesitation/idle issues and coils/sparks done plus fuel pumps replaced by dealer but to no avail problem still there. I'm really afraid to go back to dealer because car has been in at least 5 times. I don't get any codes ie cel. But since car has 100k miles maf maybe the issue here since that hasn't been changed. If you have pics that would be great as well. Thanks for your time and any info would be so appreciated. Regards mike
Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

What tools are needed and step by step process to locate maf- are there 2 of them? It's a 2006 cayenne s with 100k miles. My wife drives a fair bit ie true soccer mom. Issue at hand is car still has weird hesitation/idle issues and coils/sparks done plus fuel pumps replaced by dealer but to no avail problem still there. I'm really afraid to go back to dealer because car has been in at least 5 times. I don't get any codes ie cel. But since car has 100k miles maf maybe the issue here since that hasn't been changed. If you have pics that would be great as well. Thanks for your time and any info would be so appreciated. Regards mike

hi mike,

as i mention before its quite easy to do it. first of all you need to buy NEW sensors. . i bought it including the housing. some shops offer just the sensor. i would recommand to buy the new complete piece and not a refurnished one . in germany they cost EUR 100 each.

special tools are not necessary. screw driver to disconnect the air hoses. thats all.

i will make some pics and post them
Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Hardest part about getting the MAF's out is pulling the electrical connector off without breaking them. One of my connector clips is broken but it stays on without any issue (so far).

(2) MAF's on the Cayenne, one on left and one on right that feed into a plastic "Y" pipe on the front of the engine. Look for the accordion type black plastic pipes on the front of the engine (about 3" diameter) and the MAF's are connected to that. Take the accordion pipes out first (2 worm drive screw clamps) and then lift up the "U" style clips on the other end of the MAF's and that's about it.

Before replacing I would try cleaning (with a MAF Spray Cleaner only) before I replaced them. Some say not to clean them at all but if the option is replace or clean I would try cleaning first.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack but this is a timely thread. I've driven three Cayennes in my search so far. On the last one I payed more attention to the idle and it was not silky smooth, very very slight lumpiness to it. Is this normal or should it be velvety smooth? It only had 49k miles.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Thanks alot guys!!! I've slowly learning to do more DIY stuff as the more I take to dealer the more I don't want to. I've learned how to few weeks back with a friend of mine how to bleed my brakes/adjust swaybars/adjust height on "Megan"- god that was easy. Thanks so much for your help. I've ordered new maf's but will try cleaning them 1st see if that works. Regards. Mike
Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Thanks alot guys!!! I've slowly learning to do more DIY stuff as the more I take to dealer the more I don't want to. I've learned how to few weeks back with a friend of mine how to bleed my brakes/adjust swaybars/adjust height on "Megan"- god that was easy. Thanks so much for your help. I've ordered new maf's but will try cleaning them 1st see if that works. Regards. Mike
maybe it will help you
Attached Images     
Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When people talk about cleaning the maf. Do you just spray the thin wire going across the sensor with cleaner? Or is there some kind of gentle brush or something that should be used as well?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
When people talk about cleaning the maf. Do you just spray the thin wire going across the sensor with cleaner? Or is there some kind of gentle brush or something that should be used as well?
just spray . please dont even touch the sensor itself.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ekstroemtj
just spray . please dont even touch the sensor itself.
Absolutely! Do not touch the sensor with anything but the spray. Some folks say not to even use the spray but......
Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha, thanks for the clarity. No touchie!

Quick Reply: Cayenne S, new MAF solved idle issue, Rev much more free