Water

Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 AM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water

Greetings,

Irene hit us hard in NJ.

After what must have been 10" of rain we were fortunate to be safe and sound.
Hoping you were not affected.

The odd thing is my car has taken in water.
Pulled out of the driveway and I can hear water sloshing around inside.

Ok where could it be and how do you drain it?

Many thanks,
Old 09-05-2011, 03:51 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm. I would look for a puddle of water in the footwells, driver and passenger side. If they are both dry I would look in the spare tire compartment. Then I would use a wet/dry vac, towels, and maybe a desiccant.

I think the better question is "how is the water entering?" My 996 was getting water inside from a clogged sunroof drain plug. Easy fix.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:29 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

How about the sill just below the windshield under the plastic cover. There are drains in there that can become easily clogged, especially if you park outside around any kind of trees or leafy bushes.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Appears to be in "hte body" not in the doors
Old 09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
s928s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested to know..My 2004 Cayenne has the same noise. I seems to travel front to rear when braking or on accell. Not side to side so I do not suspect the cowell area. Spare tire carrier area is dry as a bone, not in the doors. No sloshing noise when you manipulate the doors.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Under the rear spoiler cover perhaps? I've heard that water can get inside there and make quite a mess...

There have been reports of it leaking down into the spare tire/subwoofer compartment also.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Loutorious
Track Day

I've been trying to find the water sound location for a while now. It is definitely under the carpet area on the driver side. I have not had time to take out the front seat to investigate. However, if you reach your hand under the carpet from back of the driver seat (when fully moved forward) you may feel the wet foam or carpet. I think there is some empty space under the rear of the driver seat, behind the battery. When i get a chance will take out the front seat and hopefully fix this annoying problem. After Irene it sounds like there is a fish tank hiding in the car.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
whistle34
Advanced

leaving a cayenne outside during a hurricane???hmmmmmm... was the Ferrari and or Lamborgini was in the garage??
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
s928s
Pro

I found the water on mine tonight..My noise was more on the right side. I pulled the 2 plugs out of the lower rocker and 1.5 or more gallons of water came out. I suspect it is a sunroof drain. just have to take the time to backtrack and invesrtigate. I will pull the left side plugs to check for water also.

David
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Loutorious
Track Day

Hi David

Where are the 2 drain plugs on the lower rockers? Do I have to undo the side plastic covers right under the door/rocker area first? Thanks

I took out the front seat today and change the batt also while there is easy access. I found the front carpet and rear (driver side) completely wet, but there is no empty space for pooling. The container enclosing the batt was dry. I guess it must be a drainage problem from the front somewhere since I don't have a sunroof. I will have to undo the wheel lining, again, and take a look see.

Had to park outside during hurricane because I ain't got no garage living in Brooklyn, having a driveway and not drive around the blocks for an hour looking for a space is already golden. I've been there and is noooooo fun at 2am.

Lou
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM
s928s
Pro

Lou,

On the left and right side rocker underneath. One is just forward to the door B pillar and the other is about 24" farther back. If you look under the car right at the edge where the plastic undershielding meets the rocker they are slightly overlapped by the shiels. You cam remove them with a small flat blade screwdriver without removing the shields.

David
Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Loutorious
Track Day

Thanks David, found the drain plugs and emptied at least 1.5 - 2 gallons. I should have placed a container under to measure. I still should locate the origin of the pooling but too lazy today. I think there was so much water there that when I drove, the water splashed around and somehow wicked up to the floor pan carpet. Hopefully that's the case and not some other drainage problem in combination. Lou
Old 09-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep in mind that there are molded electrical CAN bus connectors underneath the carpet footwells. If and when these get wet, the contacts become corroded and all sorts of electrical gremlins come to life. The connectors have to be opened, cleaned, packed with di-electric grease and sealed with a short piece of heat-shrink tubing to prevent this from re-ocurring.

My sunroof drain tubes froze during the winter months and the snow/ice eventually melted and overflowed into the footwells. The car was practically inoperative and in limp-home mode where, it eventually got towed to the dealer. The SA instantly recognized the problem and told me it was a common problem.

Moral of the story: The P!G doesn't appreciate rolling around in water.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water