WA73: Reprograming tiptronic control units

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WA73: Reprograming tiptronic control units

I just had my CS in for the 10k service which included applying a computer reprogramming (WA73: reprogramming front end electronics and tiptronic control units).

With cruise control activated, the transmission will now shift between 6th and 7th gear every 5 or 10 seconds while going uphill on my daily commute to and from work. Prior to the reprogramming the transmission would hold 6th gear on one hill and 7th on the other hill without changing from one gear to the other. This is a minor inconvenience, but certainly not the nice, smooth progression up the hills that it was before.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

So Bill, since the programming upgrade has messed with your CC operation, do you know what supposed problem it was intended to fix? If there's no apparent benefit it sounds like something I should try to avoid having them do next time the car is in the shop.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike,

Looks like it is somewhat involved. It's too bad about all the unnecessary shifting as it used to be quite smooth and pleasant. A long drive through hilly terrain would be very annoying.

Here is what I pulled from an earlier thread concerning WA73:

WA73

WA73 Workshop campaign - Re-programming front-end electronics and Tiptronic control units

Model year: 2011

Vehicle Type:
Cayenne (92A)/Cayenne Diesel (92A)/Cayenne S Hybrid (92A)
Cayenne S (92A)/Cayenne Turbo (92A)

Concerns:
Front-end electronics control unit
Tiptronic control unit

Situation:
New data records for the front-end electronics and Tiptronic transmission are available for the affected vehicles.
The improvements described here have been implemented with these data records.

* Front-end electronics

If the “Lock” button on the remote control is pressed again when the vehicle is locked, visual feedback (“Flashing”) always occurs with the new data record.
With the previous data record, this only occurs when locking the vehicle for the first time.

* Tiptronic transmission

In addition to the improvements with regard to rough gearshifts (Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo) and clutch wear (Cayenne Turbo), which we are already familiar with from workshop campaigns WA54 (Cayenne Turbo) and WA66 (Cayenne S), a further increase in gearshift comfort is also achieved with the new data records.

Action Required:
Depending on the vehicle equipment, re-program the front-end electronics control unit and the Tiptronic control unit if necessary.
Information
The control units to be programmed will be re-programmed automatically one after the other as part of a programming sequence. It is not possible to program control units individually. The front-end electronics control unit is always re-programmed irrespective of vehicle equipment. The Tiptronic control unit is also re-programmed on vehicles with Tiptronic transmission.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

One more issue that may be related.....

I just filled up with gas for the first time since the programming. Prior to this I just pushed on the gas door/hatch and it opened (it has always surprised me that this door wasn't locked). Today when I went back to open the gas door as usual it only opened about ½ inch and then caught. I closed it and hit the key to lock/unlock and the door opened. Hmmm, nothing in the manual about this. Do the rest of you guys with '11 model have locking gas doors?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi Bill,

I'm wondering if my car already has the update. Each time I press the lock button, I get the visual indication with a flash of the side marker lights, just as mentioned in your post.

As to the gas filler door, when the car is locked the door clicks but does not open, not even half an inch. As soon as I hit the unlock button, the door pops out to it's normal position. AFAIK, it's worked like this since the beginning.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi Bill,

I'm wondering if my car already has the update. Each time I press the lock button, I get the visual indication with a flash of the side marker lights, just as mentioned in your post.

As to the gas filler door, when the car is locked the door clicks but does not open, not even half an inch. As soon as I hit the unlock button, the door pops out to it's normal position. AFAIK, it's worked like this since the beginning.
Hmm, thanks for that info. It appears that my gas door is faulty as (with the exception noted above) I can't get it into a locked state.

Quick Reply: WA73: Reprograming tiptronic control units