Sponsored by:

Door lock issue

Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door lock issue

Here's a strange one...the key fob is not unlocking the doors correctly. I know how to set the comfort settings and it is set for all doors.

Here is what happens.

Push button to lock doors - no problem
Return to vehicle and push button - all doors unlock except drivers door
Push button again - all doors lock
Push button again - all doors including drivers door unlocks.

This is the process I go through every time to get into the vehicle. Ideas????
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 PM
CdnRD
Advanced

Was this ever resolved because my car is doing the same thing
Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Shoot, I can't remember but it doesn't happen anymore. It was one of two things, I either reset factory defaults then selected my options again or, it was about the time that I had to change the vehicle battery. Obviously try the default reset first! If something else comes to mind I'll let you know.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 PM
CdnRD
Advanced

Thanks, I'll give it a try!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has been doing the same thing for the past couple of months, except it's the front passenger door that won't unlock initially. That's a lot less annoying than the driver's side door of course!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to follow up, I did the factory reset on the "Comfort" options today and then reset everything the way I like it, including "unlock" allowing all four doors to be opened. Now they operate correctly; no more issues with the front passenger door.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Follow-up on the follow-up; 24 hours later the problem is back. So the "factory reset" did not fix it.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 PM
CdnRD
Advanced

I'm still having the problem. I'm going to try the battery but I've changed it twice in the last year! 2nd was under warranty but the parts shop is going to wonder what's up. Do Cayenne's kill batteries? Any suggestions why?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's not the battery. My battery was replaced in December, and the battery on my previous '04 CS lasted six years and there was never any issue with the locking system. My dealer did a PIWIS reset on the CTT a couple weeks ago but I'm still getting some anomalies on the locking/unlocking. I think I've figured out how to make them repeatable and I'll have them look at it again when I go back in.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone ever get a definitive diagnosis on this issue? My 06 CTT has also had strange locking operations ever since I replaced the battery a month ago. Shop that replaced it used an aux battery hooked up to the OBD port to retain memory settings while replacing the battery. Now I get the following symptoms:

1. Truck will sometimes spontaneously lock itself after turning off the ignition and removing the key--door may even be open and the car will lock itself and set the alarm.
2. Unlocking using the key fob will unlock all 4 doors, but the tailgate remains locked. Opening a rear door (with no additional activation of the locks) will then unlock the tailgate and allow it to open.
3. Unlocking using the fob sometimes requires multiple presses off the button. The fob gives positive feedback that the button has been activated, and locks "click" but do not unlock.

It certainly seems like a SW problem. Before I reset everything to factory settings as suggested above, I would like to know if anyone ever figured it out.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Budget M3
Racer

FWIW, I left everything alone and after another week the locking problem seems to have cleared itself with the exception of #2 above. Definitely seems like something tied to the software settings. I'm gonna leave it alone and hope the remaining problem clears itself, too!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

My theory is that if you don't use the Cayenne every day, the battery charge drops to the point where systems start shutting down. You can reset your comfort settings, and they may last a week or two, but that's it. I use a Battery Tender about once a week -- and problem gone -- Amazon has them. I've replaced the battery a couple of times, and it seems to help a bit -- for a short while. Keeping it fully charged works for me, along with replacing the remote battery once a year.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
My theory is that if you don't use the Cayenne every day, the battery charge drops to the point where systems start shutting down. You can reset your comfort settings, and they may last a week or two, but that's it. I use a Battery Tender about once a week -- and problem gone -- Amazon has them. I've replaced the battery a couple of times, and it seems to help a bit -- for a short while. Keeping it fully charged works for me, along with replacing the remote battery once a year.
+1. The first thing that the dealer tech does when servicing a Cayenne is to plug the charger into the front charging port. Low battery voltage will cause all kinds of problems and issues.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by Andy E.
+1. The first thing that the dealer tech does when servicing a Cayenne is to plug the charger into the front charging port. Low battery voltage will cause all kinds of problems and issues.
I understand and agree that low battery charge will cause all sorts of "mysterious" issues and phantom alerts (e.g. Faulty air suspension workshop), however, this should not be the case with a new or recently replaced battery.

Also, are you sure the tech is plugging into a "charging port" or simply hooking up to the OBD port just to maintain the memory settings?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Budget M3
Also, are you sure the tech is plugging into a "charging port" or simply hooking up to the OBD port just to maintain the memory settings?
The very first item on the tech's check-list when doing standard servicing or maintenance on the Cayenne is to park it into the service bay, open the hood, pop off the plastic escuctheon panel and plug in the charger onto the post.

Regarding the unlock procedure using the fob, there are two user settings to choose when programming the unlock sequence. You can choose between one push of the unlock button for "all-unlock" or two pushes for 1) driver's side door, 2) other three passenger doors including the trunk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door lock issue