Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   SERIOUS PROBLEM! 04CS leaking drain plug after oil change (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/651797-serious-problem-04cs-leaking-drain-plug-after-oil-change.html)

jplumlee 08-27-2011 01:36 AM

SERIOUS PROBLEM! 04CS leaking drain plug after oil change

Ok.. so here's what happened...

Thought I would save myself some money and do my own oil change this time. Anyway went through the process and all was well, then we f'd up. My friend that was helping " thought" he was having trouble removing the crush washer but guess what? the washer had already come off. Anyway they continued to pry the problem washer only to realize that they were actually messing up the flat facing that would normally be flush with the crush washer..... I know i know. Anyway after the panic had subsided we decided to see if the damage was enough to keep the plug from sealing. Luckily the threads were ok and we seated the plug and filled the CS with oil. at first it looked like all was ok but after a couple of minutes of sitting (not running ) it started to drip... slowly but still a drip.

so... now I have to figure out a way to seal this drain plug. I thought perhaps I could:

1 use a dremel or something like that with a flat disk and "reface" the flat part that the crush washer would normally press against.
2 use some kind of O-ring or flat rubber washer that would seal off the plug and keep it from leaking
3 use some kind of sealant ( if you guys know of anything ) that I could use to put around the plug as it seats, or on the threads, that would would keep it from leaking but also not set hard enough to cause problems with future oil changes.

I'm just sick about it but it is what it is..... Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated. BTW and strangely enough, it only leaks when the car is NOT running. Dry as a bone when the engine is cranked.

I'll probably be up all night trying to come up with something.... man this really sucks. I'm going to post this at a couple of other sites so you may see it in other places... thanks!

bigbuzuki 08-27-2011 07:05 AM

Get rid of your "friend".

working4it 08-27-2011 08:25 AM

Post a picture so we can see the extent of the damage. Lesson learned...

RESP 08-27-2011 01:39 PM

I am thinking you will want to have this fixed by a "competent" repair person.

Rubber "o" ring will fail due to heat build up.
Applied sealers will fail due to same.

The designed flat metal to crush washer to drain plug is designed to work as such.
The hills and valleys created by your friend are causing it to fail at low temps.

I can't see it need very much machining, but you want it to be flat and smooth and level so the crush washer will seat properly.

How deep are your friend's pockets?? :D