Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Panoramic sunroof?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/642066-panoramic-sunroof.html)

eschw999 07-01-2011 12:12 PM

Panoramic sunroof??

Hey folks,
I am thinking about ordering a new Cayenne s. I currently drive a 2009 S, with the regular sunroof.

As an option, any thoughts on the panoramic sunroof - does it add weight to the car, or do you think it is a worthwhile option??
thanks!!!

mcbit 07-01-2011 12:37 PM

I have one on the GTS, I have to say that I don't open it very often as its too hot here. However I usually drive with the shade open as I like the extra light which it allows into the car.

Boeing 717 07-01-2011 12:48 PM

We love it, like mcbit we really dont open it all that much but its such a great option as it really opens up the interior and it has a lot of cool factor.

mcbit 07-01-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing 717 (Post 8680480)
We love it, like mcbit we really dont open it all that much but its such a great option as it really opens up the interior and it has a lot of cool factor.

Didn't think I'd be the only one. :cheers:

rome 07-01-2011 03:15 PM

At $600 it's a no-brainer. Well made and well designed for the 2011.

amfp 07-01-2011 04:45 PM

I have it and would do it again. Great option. Only caution if you wanted to do a future Thule on top, it will not work - unless you pre-order the railing system with the pano roof.

Bluehinder 07-01-2011 11:47 PM

Adds weight in the worst place, leak potential, limits carrying options. I think it's a terrible option.

Still, my best friend got it. :)

Regular sun roof good enough for me. I'd get a convertible if I wanted more.

GVA-SFO 07-02-2011 02:53 AM

Have one, since beg 2007, and never open it, ..coz when open, over 25 mph, you got an hurricane cat 5 inside.

(Just to be accurate, have a 996 C4 cab too, and, on this one, roof is down 350 days per year.)

Mike in CA 07-02-2011 03:24 PM

I still think I made the right decision not getting it although it does have a wow factor. Our A3 TDI has the "open sky roof" feature which is basically like a Pano roof except that instead of one giant hole cut in the top there is a structural support between the sunroofs. Even with the roof shades closed I can see the sun (and feel the heat) coming through making it noticeably harder to cool the interior. My take is these roofs are nice on cool cloudy days, but not so much in the summer. Pay your money and take your choice.

slwong23 07-02-2011 04:09 PM

After seeing extensive pictures, I thought I would def get it if spec'ing a CS given the price. Now that we're in the thick of the summer and it's well over 100+ degrees here in Vegas, I'm convinced I would not want it out here. No way that sunscreen diffuses enough of the sun to make it bearable during the summer months, let alone after the car has been sitting out in the sun for several hours, esp. w a black interior.

Great looking option, but I'm happy with the sun roof that doesn't get opened in the summer months. Good luck!

Boeing 717 07-02-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by slwong23 (Post 8683011)
After seeing extensive pictures, I thought I would def get it if spec'ing a CS given the price. Now that we're in the thick of the summer and it's well over 100+ degrees here in Vegas, I'm convinced I would not want it out here. No way that sunscreen diffuses enough of the sun to make it bearable during the summer months, let alone after the car has been sitting out in the sun for several hours, esp. w a black interior.

Great looking option, but I'm happy with the sun roof that doesn't get opened in the summer months. Good luck!

To be honest ive never really had a problem with excess heat and it gets darn hot here in GA in the summer. As far as all the wind.......well it opens about 50 different ways so you can have it partially open or just cracked or all open etc etc.

Mike in CA 07-02-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing 717 (Post 8683153)
To be honest ive never really had a problem with excess heat and it gets darn hot here in GA in the summer. As far as all the wind.......well it opens about 50 different ways so you can have it partially open or just cracked or all open etc etc.

Just goes to show how people's tolerances are different and why if at all possible one should check an option out in person before buying. Like I posted above, we have a similar Pano roof option in our A3 and I can most definitely feel the added heat even with the shades closed. TEHO. (50 different ways? Really? ;) )

hahnmgh63 07-02-2011 11:59 PM

I do like the Panoramic in my '06 CTTS. It sqeaked a little a while back but I lubed all of the rubber seals between the glasses with some Silicone grease and all is well. Porsche claims a lot of heat rejection but it still lets a bit through that is noticeable on a sunny day without running in Auto but in Auto it isn't even noticeable and I do love the extra light.

mcbit 07-03-2011 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 8683299)
Just goes to show how people's tolerances are different and why if at all possible one should check an option out in person before buying. Like I posted above, we have a similar Pano roof option in our A3 and I can most definitely feel the added heat even with the shades closed. TEHO. (50 different ways? Really? ;) )

I have the Pano on my GTS here in Dubai, currently summer with shade open and 40C - 48C I have no problems with cooling in direct sunlight. If you place the back of your hand about one inch below the glass you will feel nothing, which is an entirely different story from placing your hand one inch away from any of the other glass in the car.

Mike in CA 07-03-2011 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by mcbit (Post 8683810)
I have the Pano on my GTS here in Dubai, currently summer with shade open and 40C - 48C I have no problems with cooling in direct sunlight. If you place the back of your hand about one inch below the glass you will feel nothing, which is an entirely different story from placing your hand one inch away from any of the other glass in the car.

Interesting, especially if what you describe is with the sun shining directly through the roof. That's when it's really noticeable in the Audi. Perhaps Porsche uses different coatings.