Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Phone Module - Is this necessary for Bluetooth Connection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:54 AM
Nazimo
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telephone not available

Hi all

I have my cayenne for a while and the Bluetooth module was working perfect.
I could sync my iPhone, receive and make calls fine.
A month ago it stopped working and now only "telephone not available" pops on the screen.
I have taken my Porsche to repair center and they can't find any phone module on the system.
This may be just a excuse.
But I can't get it working again.
Is there anything I can do by my self ?

Best regards
Old 08-09-2016, 10:42 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To clarify, there's a phone module and a Bluetooth module. The phone module is an option where the car has it's own mobile number. Since you mentioned iPhone, it's clear you're talking Bluetooth. But if you have both, they might be conflicting. If you're Bluetooth only, go into Phone and delete the non-connecting iPhone. Start over from scratch as if you're adding a new phone

//greg//
Old 08-10-2016, 01:09 AM
Nazimo
4th Gear

thank you greg, i have tried to delete phone and search pair again.
but it doesn't recognize the bluetooth module.
it only says "telephone not available", as if there were no bluetooth module.

regards
Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by Nazimo
thank you greg, i have tried to delete phone and search pair again.
but it doesn't recognize the bluetooth module.
it only says "telephone not available", as if there were no bluetooth module.

regards
This happened to me once in the 4 yrs I've had mine, apparently a PCM hiccup. Besides finding no phone, the trip meters weren't displaying any data, and a few other misc functions seemed disabled. I pulled off the road, turned off the car, waited 20 sec, started it again. Didn't work, so I figured a trip to the dealer for a PCM reset was in order. Turned out to be unnecessary. Next day, started the car - and everything was functioning normally again. But if this is not the case with you, I'll help you figure out if it's a car prob or a phone prob. //greg//
Old 08-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Nazimo
4th Gear

it has stopped working about 3 month ago.
the car was at Porsche center for 3 times and they keep saying that there is no phone module or bluetooth module.
but for the last 5 years, i have been using it.
i figure out they don't want to lose time with my 2009 Porsche Cayenne.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:35 AM
grohgreg
Pro

it has stopped working about 3 month ago.
the car was at Porsche center for 3 times and they keep saying that there is no phone module or bluetooth module.
but for the last 5 years, i have been using it.
i figure out they don't want to lose time with my 2009 Porsche Cayenne.
Porsche makes good money servicing out-of-warranty cars. So what we're trying to do here is save you money. Let's narrow it down to whether it's a car problem or a phone problem.

In addition to deleting the phone from the PCM, you have to tell the phone to "forget this device" (the PCM). Have you done that too?

Last edited by grohgreg; 08-11-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-11-2016, 01:20 AM
Nazimo
4th Gear

the option to forget this device doesn't show.
when i open the click on the phone option, i only get "telephone not available" on the screen.
when i press the pair button, it doesn't respond

regards
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 AM
grohgreg
Pro

the option to forget this device doesn't show.
when i open the click on the phone option, i only get "telephone not available" on the screen.
when i press the pair button, it doesn't respond

regards
"Forget this device" is on the iPhone, not the car. ON YOUR PHONE it's
Settings
Bluetooth
Select Bluetooth
Select PCM
Select the circled blue letter "i"
Select "Forget This Device"
Restart phone
Restart car
Try pairing procedure again

Last edited by grohgreg; 10-17-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-17-2016, 04:42 AM
estanger
4th Gear

Default resolved?> "Phone not available"

Did you ever manage to resolve this? I have the same issue.

I can pair via aux and play music via Bluetooth but cannot get any menu options on the Phone side. just the message "Phone not available"
Old 10-17-2016, 02:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Just a FWIW - I searched through the Cayenne 958 service manual for "bluetooth" - and the only references it came up with are one that tells you to visit a Porsche website to check phone compatibility, then a number of references to a "bluetooth charging tray" in the wiring diagrams.

What it didn't reference is a separate BlueTooth "module" - ie - hardware. That means the Bluetooth is built into the PCM (from 2011 on at least). I know this was listed as an option if you went to the build your own Porsche website on the Porsche website, but if I had to guess - all that option does is enable (turn it "on") it in the PCM. So the dealers claiming not to find Bluetooth on your PCM to me means they don't know what they're doing. I'd look for a new dealer.

There are several protocols defined in the Bluetooth standards - one specifically for multimedia audio (A2DP​) - that's the one that PCM uses to connect to things like streaming players. If you're connecting wirelessly to a streaming player on a phone - that's what's making the connection and you DO have the Bluetooth Module, but it's not correctly recognizing the phone protocol (probably HFP - hands free protocol and PBAP - phone book access protocol.)

As others suggested - try following the steps in the owners menu to link the phone.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:06 PM
Erin Dunne
AutoX

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just a FWIW - I searched through the Cayenne 958 service manual for "bluetooth" - and the only references it came up with are one that tells you to visit a Porsche website to check phone compatibility, then a number of references to a "bluetooth charging tray" in the wiring diagrams.

What it didn't reference is a separate BlueTooth "module" - ie - hardware. That means the Bluetooth is built into the PCM (from 2011 on at least). I know this was listed as an option if you went to the build your own Porsche website on the Porsche website, but if I had to guess - all that option does is enable (turn it "on") it in the PCM. So the dealers claiming not to find Bluetooth on your PCM to me means they don't know what they're doing. I'd look for a new dealer.

There are several protocols defined in the Bluetooth standards - one specifically for multimedia audio (A2DP​) - that's the one that PCM uses to connect to things like streaming players. If you're connecting wirelessly to a streaming player on a phone - that's what's making the connection and you DO have the Bluetooth Module, but it's not correctly recognizing the phone protocol (probably HFP - hands free protocol and PBAP - phone book access protocol.)

As others suggested - try following the steps in the owners menu to link the phone.
I know this is an older thread, but this exact issue happened to me and I am attempting to diagnose. 2014 Cayenne, PCM 3.1. Bluetooth was connected and working with 2 phones and we could stream music via BT AUX. Then I pressed a few buttons during startup and all BT functionality is gone. Everything else is working fine. Any thoughts? Trying to avoid a new PCM or sending out for repair. Based on your info above, I think via the "perfect" set of button presses, I somehow turned off (or unenabled) BT on the PCM.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:24 AM
David.peters
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

reset your PCM to factory or handover to a new owner, it will delete everything in it and be like the day you got it

Quick Reply: PCM Phone Module - Is this necessary for Bluetooth Connection?