Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what 'Error code 143 - Damping Adjustment Valve' might be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 AM
fujikomine
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know what 'Error code 143 - Damping Adjustment Valve' might be?

Got the 'Air Suspension Faulty Workshop' display coming on for the last couple weeks. The screen clears with every restart, but error comes up within a couple seconds of driving.

Pulled the error code with a Durametric and it reads code 143 'damping adjustment valve', location right front.

I pulled the front passenger wheel off and disconnected/cleaned/reconnected all the electrical connectors in the wheel well and struts location. The error still comes up.

Any ideas on where else to look and to resolve this error?

tia
Will
2004 CTT
South Bay Area, CA
Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 AM
fujikomine
AutoX

Also forgot to note - don't know if this is related since this just started tonight and the Air Suspension fault has been occurring for the last couple/few weeks...

Electrical gremlins abound today. While driving home the radio and HVAC cut out. Then discovered windows, door, turn signals, interior lights, alarm, HVAC, door locks, side mirror controls, height level controls, park assist, and seat convenience controls stopped working. Strangely the radio could be turned back on...but nothing else. Car still drives fine, but with so much of the electrical system in whack can't do much safely or even lock/unlock the doors/windows.

Checked by pulling every fuse in all 3 fuse boxes. All fine. Measured voltages at fuse locations for some of the affected systems like the door locking and window circuits...all fine with 12v readings at the fuses. So there's power, but wondering what might be a common harness/system that might account for this across the board anomaly? Even have tested the battery load + alternator load...all fine. Have the car hooked up to a charger for the evening to see if that makes a difference in the morning (tried after a quick 10min charge...no change).

Guess will call the stealer at Stevens Creek Porsche in the morning to possibly schedule a cash extraction appointment :-(
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I will be willing to bet you have a failing battery.
These are symptoms of a dying battey.

Be prepared to fork over ~$400-ish
Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

$400-ish for a battery? Is that what you are saying Scott? Interstate has the correct battery for the Cayenne for about $160 (actually a little more reserve capacity than OEM) and I have tried Costco yet. Consumer reports rated Costco #1 and Interstate #3 out of about 10 battery suppliers. I think the Sears Diehard was #2.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

less than $200 from Autozone
Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

The OP mentioned taking to the dealer for diagnostics so I was basing my estimate on the battery $250 and about 1 - 1.25 hours of labor to change it.

I forgot tax so it will probably be higher.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM
fujikomine
AutoX

I took the battery load readings from under the hood at the jump points. So maybe it read the auxillary battery from the trunk. I did change out the driver seat battery about 8 months ago with a unit from Kragen's auto parts (same ampere ratings etc)...i guess I'll pop the seat later today to get a direct reading from the seat battery which understand as supplying power for 'accessories'.

thx all!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, the rear battery will do it, too.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:57 PM
fujikomine
AutoX

Well got the front/rear batteries both swapped out for a set of Interstate's. The front one Interstate was a couple inches shorter than original, but the specs lined up and just shimmed with some spacers. Electrical gremlins are all gone and all the accessories work again...except for the Air Suspension Workshop Faulty error.

Still get the suspension error still...so back to square one on that fault.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Posted in another similar thread but posting here as well to see if you had success sorting the issue. I have the same issue but fault code for right rear (145). Here's the the diagnostic note from my mechanic:
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this the bleed valves on the air suspension? They get corroded, and blocked. Cost about $100, and normally are the cause of Suspension faults. Is the car level, or slightly off on one corner? Is it slow to go up or down?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Originally Posted by thescratt
Is this the bleed valves on the air suspension? They get corroded, and blocked. Cost about $100, and normally are the cause of Suspension faults. Is the car level, or slightly off on one corner? Is it slow to go up or down?
The car has been off at one corner (right rear) but now the whole back end is off compared to the front.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:09 AM
thescratt
Instructor

I would bet money you need to replace one (or both) of these, on the back : https://aerosus.com/porsche/cayenne-...alve-rear.html
Old 04-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Originally Posted by thescratt
I would bet money you need to replace one (or both) of these, on the back : https://aerosus.com/porsche/cayenne-...alve-rear.html
Thanks for the response. Do you know tough of a DIY project swapping these would be?
Old 04-28-2017, 07:12 AM
thescratt
Instructor

It was not something I tackled.. Mainly because I think safe / convenient access to the valve needs you to suspend the car. But tbh I did not look into it that much.

My indie did it (coincidentally on my 2004 CTT) during a normal service, and it didn't add that much over the parts. I bought two valves. He replaced one, but about 6 months later the one I had not replaced needed doing too.

I think these older suspension systems are more prone to corrosion build up if moisture gets into the system.

Prior to all this I had tried most of the things you did. People kept saying it was the battery. I even serviced the compressor. Which is a fun DIY job. For me the fault was intermittent, gradually getting more frequent.
Occasionally the car would level ok... and sometimes it would warn me after driving for a few minutes. Other times it was just broken and the car would be trying to self level when stopped at traffic lights and all kinds of things.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what 'Error code 143 - Damping Adjustment Valve' might be?