Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost & difficulty of transmission valve body replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Jan K
Instructor

Location: A Swede in the Canary islands, Spain (on the African coast)
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default ??

I'm still confused!
Is it posible to put in a gear box 09D 300 038H from 2006 in the 2004 model that use as original the 09D 300 36P box will it work with the original control box or has I to change it?
Sorry if I'm a bit slow :-)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 PM
nabuhodonosaras
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there having the same problem with mine too 05 cc turbo, would http://www.revmaxconverters.com/ valve body would be swap does it come with updated control module too, Westmont Porsche in Chicagoland wants $4700 all work i think way too much they can suck my d, Fluid motor union gave me quote for $1999 or smthg, have mechanic to do this job, but need some info as far as buying one from revmax right model and where i could get that control module, any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tcu and valve body must be mated. So for instance since I have an 2004 if I get a rebuilt VB that is compatible with 05+ then I need a new TCU.

As long as you get the identical valve body to your year but with the rebuilt sonnax parts you should not have to update the TCU. $2k is an acceptable price if you are including a new tcu. Otherwise $1500 would be closer to what I'd expect. The labor itself to swap VB's, filter, gaskets and drain and refill fluid is only a few hours. Its the VB and the fluid (and tcu) that represents most of the cost. $4700 is beyond robbery BTW.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:57 PM
nabuhodonosaras
5th Gear

Thank you, endless so if undestand right if its a remanufactured its just a swap if upgraded then i would need to get new tcm for it. Its ok to pay 2k but $4700 for everything is just robbery they are one close to me but so many turndowns from them, Westmont Porsche is just a disapointment for whole Porsche network.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

They dont call 'em stealerships for nuthin!

I have been living with rough downshifts for about a year. I look forward to doing mine soonish and plan to get a revmax valvebody. I think its far superior to get a rebuilt unit with all the sonnax updates than the dealer who is going to put a new VB in with all the same defects as the original.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I believe if you get this one you dont need a new TCU. Why not call revmax and verify?

Just for reference
rebuilt VB
Transmission Filter
Transmission filter o-ring
Pan gasket
Filler plug and seal
Drain plug and seal
All necessary transmission fluid for a complete fluid change
Will be about $1050-1100.

I dont see why labor would exceed 4 hours.

This is why its a ~$1500 job.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Jeroen Pipelers
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
The tcu and valve body must be mated. So for instance since I have an 2004 if I get a rebuilt VB that is compatible with 05+ then I need a new TCU.

As long as you get the identical valve body to your year but with the rebuilt sonnax parts you should not have to update the TCU. $2k is an acceptable price if you are including a new tcu. Otherwise $1500 would be closer to what I'd expect. The labor itself to swap VB's, filter, gaskets and drain and refill fluid is only a few hours. Its the VB and the fluid (and tcu) that represents most of the cost. $4700 is beyond robbery BTW.
Sorry to revive this old thread. I still have one question, does the TCU have to be programmed to work with the ECU?
Old 06-16-2016, 01:16 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

When I put in a rebuilt one from RevMax, you need to send them yours or remove the tranny filter and give them the number to make sure you get one that matches the TCU. Even then there was a very slight almost unnoticeable hesitation when fully accelerating up to 100 mph on one of the upshifts. Took it to the dealer and they put in the latest updates and all was good. Call revmax and they can tell you what you need to do. Easy to deal with. There was a slight change in valve bodies around late 2005 to 2006, so the number on it becomes important.
EDIT: After reading your question again I see I didn't answer it.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Nacho82
Track Day

Yea the post is 3 years old, but I figured I would toss in some useless info for the sake of some other sucker reading it in a few years (like me).

I saw endless_corners went to Hawaii instead of swapping valve bodies (3 years ago), which I sort of did/am doing without the cool vacation piece. We had the crap shifting since the minute we got the car. Long story shortened, wife got it without me looking at it is the reason. I have since come to move past that fact. Anyway, 5 years or more later with a couple trans fluid/filter changes that didn't do jack and the shifting still sucks. I would say it is worse then it ever has been, but it is still functional. We added roughly 80k miles to the tired valve body (she is sitting at 158k now). I do plan to fix it by either a revmax rebuild, or possibly giving the TransGO kit a twirl. First I want to ask the revmax folks if they accept a partially torn down and possibly screwed up valve body as a full core if the TransGO trial doesn't end well for me. Sometimes I wonder if I will miss that 2nd-3rd gear shift that feels like a semi truck just rear-ended me. How I haven't destroyed other stuff in the drive line is a mystery.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho82
Yea the post is 3 years old, but I figured I would toss in some useless info for the sake of some other sucker reading it in a few years (like me).

I saw endless_corners went to Hawaii instead of swapping valve bodies (3 years ago), which I sort of did/am doing without the cool vacation piece. We had the crap shifting since the minute we got the car. Long story shortened, wife got it without me looking at it is the reason. I have since come to move past that fact. Anyway, 5 years or more later with a couple trans fluid/filter changes that didn't do jack and the shifting still sucks. I would say it is worse then it ever has been, but it is still functional. We added roughly 80k miles to the tired valve body (she is sitting at 158k now). I do plan to fix it by either a revmax rebuild, or possibly giving the TransGO kit a twirl. First I want to ask the revmax folks if they accept a partially torn down and possibly screwed up valve body as a full core if the TransGO trial doesn't end well for me. Sometimes I wonder if I will miss that 2nd-3rd gear shift that feels like a semi truck just rear-ended me. How I haven't destroyed other stuff in the drive line is a mystery.
If you are very handy (or have a willing friend) and have a reasonable set of tools including a grinder or belt sander, the TransGO kit is doable and works. There are a couple tricky parts: 1st, the VB is heavier than I thought - - probably 20+ lbs. It's useful to have an assistant help with lowering/raising it into the trans as doing it one handed is tiresome/risky to your face/head/VB. 2nd, be extra careful separating the VB halves - - there are lots of little bits to lose. Best to do this on a big aluminum drip sheet as the whole job is super messy. You want to make sure everything is super neat and clean. 3rd, use light taps to initially start the replacement caps on the solenoids. If you hit them crooked you'll stretch the cap and it won't hold tight without further adjustment - if you do get it cockeyed, tank the cap off and peen gently around the open edge to shrink it a bit and reinstall. 4th, you can find the PDF repair manual for our transmissions online - - it's helpful for torque specs, additional pictures, etc. 5th, when reassembling the trans filter, put the prelubed oring in the VB hole first and push the filter on perfectly straight. If you pinch or tear the oring (easy to do if you don't install it straight), your trans wont suck up enough fluid while filling. 6th, use a pressure filler or modified garden sprayer to fill the trans. Anything else is an exhausting adventure. 7th, make sure you're very clean and triple check all the valve body bits are in the right place when reassembling the halves. 8th, use Durametric to reset the TCM when you're done. This isn't 100% necessary if you dont own Durametric, but I highly recommend it. The entire process can be done in a full afternoon for less than $200 in parts and oil.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Nacho82
Track Day

Great post Brainz. super helpful points to watch out for.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Aonmavro
8th Gear

Default Help with Indy Trans Shop Recommendation - Chicago Area

Hi Everyone,

Great forum! The advice and guidance I've seen is fantastic.

I'm stuck in a situation where my '04 CS is having the notorious VB issues. I've settled in with using the RevMax rebuilt VB, which I would like my Indy to install. Unfortunately, the owner has had issues in dealing with P!G Transmission Electronics and is balking at my request. I've even shared the DIY procedure I came across as an example of how straight forward the job would be.

So, the ask I have for this community is for any recommendations folks may have for a trustworthy indy transmission shop that I might be able to work with. Being in the Chicagoland area, the recommendations may be widespread. That's OKAY! Any recommendations are appreciated.

Now to relieve my stress..... https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/banghead.gif and get happy https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/drink.gif
Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I did it with a buddy in about 6 hours. We took our sweet time and were meticulous. I recommend just DIY.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:37 AM
Douglas61
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thread is kind of deep. Could anyone just tell in a few sentences what is the problem and what's the DIY simple solution, perhaps also how it works?
Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas61
The thread is kind of deep. Could anyone just tell in a few sentences what is the problem and what's the DIY simple solution, perhaps also how it works?
Buy the RevMax VB. Have it installed by an Indy shop. Ship the core back for a refund.

The VB is easy. Unsure of all the fuss. I scored a discount on a CTT the guy was trying to dump because he thought the transmission was shot. Did the VB (my second Cayenne and third VB too replace... I've put over 400k miles on 2 955s)

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Cost & difficulty of transmission valve body replacement...