Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Plastic cover over rear wiper arm nut? (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/627171-plastic-cover-over-rear-wiper-arm-nut.html)

shadowline 04-11-2011 02:44 PM

Plastic cover over rear wiper arm nut?

Ok so i find today the cover has vanished from my rear wiper, the one that hides the nut on my 2004 Cayenne. So is that part avaliable on its own? Or do you need to but the whole wiper arm!!! Thats was the way with my old M3!!
Thanks guys

EnigmaWmn 04-11-2011 02:48 PM

It used to be available and sold separately for something silly, like $3-$5. I used to buy them in bulk b/c I'd lose it every time the old P!G would get washed. In the last two years or so, they stopped selling it separately, but you don't need the whole arm, just that part onto which the cover goes, if that makes sense and if I remember correctly. Call up Sunset Porsche and they'll tell you.

Dennis C 04-11-2011 03:00 PM

The last time I bought one, I had to buy the rear window switch assembly as Pops says, but not the whole arm. I didn't replace my switch, just the cover. I put a dab of silicone on the underside before I snapped it into place and it has been there ever since. Even with the switch, it's not that expensive - I seem to recall it being something like $30.

Divot 04-11-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by shadowline (Post 8461051)
Ok so i find today the cover has vanished from my rear wiper, the one that hides the nut on my 2004 Cayenne.

Don't hide the truck nuts!

My nut-hider has been cracked for a while. It is on my list of "ehh". It's an '04, it's a P!g, and I'm driving it into the ground. I'll probably change out my whole unit this summer. I save being anal for the 996.

You will find your missing cover at the local car wash.

EDIT: I realized I will be quoted (by someone who will remain nameless) for "change out my whole unit". For clarification (for someone who will remain nameless), by "unit", I mean entire rear wiper mechanism.

EDIT 2: By "rear wiper", I mean...

I give up.

Porsche 25th 04-11-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis C (Post 8461107)
The last time I bought one, I had to buy the rear window switch assembly as Pops says, but not the whole arm. I didn't replace my switch, just the cover. I put a dab of silicone on the underside before I snapped it into place and it has been there ever since. Even with the switch, it's not that expensive - I seem to recall it being something like $30.

+1
Except, my parts adviser (AKA liar) told me how it was next to impossible to put on correctly and how the new cover is likely to break in the process. He offered to have one of the techs do it for "only" $55. I told him I would take my chances and do it myself. It is literally a 5 second job. I also used a dab of glue and it took longer to walk across the garage to get the glue than it did to execute the repair!
Jag Porsche Audi Nashville; part of Sonic if anyone is curious.

EnigmaWmn 04-11-2011 07:50 PM

And just like that, with one edit, all of the fun was sucked out of that one.

The possibilities were infinite.....

Slow Guy 04-11-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th (Post 8461885)
+1
Except, my parts adviser (AKA liar) told me how it was next to impossible to put on correctly and how the new cover is likely to break in the process. He offered to have one of the techs do it for "only" $55. I told him I would take my chances and do it myself. It is literally a 5 second job. I also used a dab of glue and it took longer to walk across the garage to get the glue than it did to execute the repair!
Jag Porsche Audi Nashville; part of Sonic if anyone is curious.

I've actually had pretty good luck with the folks at JPA. It's still cheaper to buy from folks at Sunset or Henessey in Atlanta but for a local dealer they're OK. At least they give us a PCA discount now (under the new ownership), they didn't care about us before.

As I understand the local folks in Oregon have to pay MSRP (or close to it) when they buy from Sunset.

Now the parts dept at BMW of Nashville, they take price gouging to a whole 'nother level :banghead::banghead::banghead:

$3 for a damn crush washer :banghead::banghead:

Divot 04-11-2011 08:26 PM

I didn't mention anyone by name, biatch.

cab&coupe 04-11-2011 09:00 PM

All that to cover a single nut :rolleyes:

Slow Guy 04-11-2011 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by cab&coupe (Post 8462074)
All that to cover a single nut :rolleyes:

If you only had one you'd want it covered too.

:D
so sorry, just couldn't resist.

Porsche 25th 04-11-2011 09:43 PM

Hey Bill,
I finally got around to swapping my battery; not hard at all except for the *@#:" seat base trim pieces.

Dennis C 04-12-2011 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by 993BillW (Post 8462132)
If you only had one you'd want it covered too.

:D
so sorry, just couldn't resist.

It's rumored that Hitler had just one... funny... maybe it's a German thing...

magicfan 04-03-2015 06:42 PM

I have lost the cover too and now Porsche is asking me to buy the whole thing. I do not want to pay over 40 dollars for that just to get the cover
Is there any other place where I can buy only the cover?

BobbySpeed 04-04-2015 04:57 PM

Call Jessie at Sunset.

Lionworks Auto 04-04-2015 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by magicfan (Post 12176374)
I have lost the cover too and now Porsche is asking me to buy the whole thing. I do not want to pay over 40 dollars for that just to get the cover Is there any other place where I can buy only the cover?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95562832002.html

When you get it use a little silicone to glue it to the nut for added grip.