Sponsored by:

HELP WITH IGNITION COIL/SPARK PLUG

Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 PM
2005CayenneS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH IGNITION COIL/SPARK PLUG

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum as well as 2005 Cayenne S V8 51,000 miles that I recently bought(just got number plates yesterday) from a close friend who kept it in his garage most of the times. It has been a great car to drive for a month but got into trouble yesterday at the camping site. Idling is not smooth and engine would vibrate pretty hard if I accelerate more than 2000 rpm. It rums normal along the downhill where I let my foot off the accelerator. So, I drove carefully(steady 65 mph) back home for about 75 miles under 2000 rpm. Check engine light came up after driving about 60 miles with that limping engine.

Question: Am I right with my assumption that it could be failure of either a few spark plugs or ignition coils that you guys have many postings?

I have no more warranty but I understand from you guys' postings that ignition coils are covered under warranty for 10 years.

Question: Is there any way I could claim it from Porsche without bringing the car to dealer? Any tips how to deal with dealer on this issue will be great.

It would be great if there is any link where I can find detail instruction on DIY solution too. I do not mind investing in code reader, necessary tools, etc...... for long term sake.

Thank you in advance.
Tim
Old 03-27-2011, 06:30 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Porsche extended the warranty on the coils based on the year or first replacement - if you had a first replacement - your friend should have received the notice. 4 years or 50k

Call the dealer and ask -- Autozone can read the codes for the CEL.

Sounds like the coils.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 AM
2005CayenneS
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip. I just came back from Auto Zone. It shows P0300 & P0305. They do not have Porsche's definition but they do have definition from quite a bit of other makers. Most makers define "misfire detected for P0300" and "cylinder # 05 misfire detected for P0305".

Is there any way to find out the exact definition by Porsche?

Called 3 dearler during the day. 2 said I'll have to pay 100% since I no longer have warranty.
Still waiting for last dealer's answer.
Thinking of buying parts from Suncoast and DIY. Hope it would be simple enough.
But would like to know if there is any link with detail instruction.
Thank you again.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2005CayenneS
Thanks for the tip. I just came back from Auto Zone. It shows P0300 & P0305. They do not have Porsche's definition but they do have definition from quite a bit of other makers. Most makers define "misfire detected for P0300" and "cylinder # 05 misfire detected for P0305".

Called 3 dearler during the day. 2 said I'll have to pay 100% since I no longer have warranty.
Still waiting for last dealer's answer.
Thinking of buying parts from Suncoast and DIY. Hope it would be simple enough.
But would like to know if there is any link with detail instruction.
Thank you again.
They are probably saying that because they don't know for sure what is wrong (and if it is not - by chance - coils, they will have to charge you). There's a 99% chance it is coils and if this is a US vehicle, PCNA has extended the warranty to 100k miles, in which case you are covered (there are very few, if any, limitations in the extended warranty IIRC). Personally, I'd take it to the dealer and share that information. Trust me, EVERY, Porsche dealer is aware of the coils and extended warranty issue.

And do yourself a favor and have them change the spark plugs when they are in there. You will be charged for that (make sure they agree to little or no labor for that piece before you let them begin).
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
They are probably saying that because they don't know for sure what is wrong (and if it is not - by chance - coils, they will have to charge you). There's a 99% chance it is coils and if this is a US vehicle, PCNA has extended the warranty to 100k miles, in which case you are covered (there are very few, if any, limitations in the extended warranty IIRC). Personally, I'd take it to the dealer and share that information. Trust me, EVERY, Porsche dealer is aware of the coils and extended warranty issue.
I don't believe that's completely correct. I think the warranty applies if the coils have been replaced once before (under warranty). If the coils are original (have never been replaced) and the car is out of warranty now, I believe you'll be eating the cost of the first replacement.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure? Could have sworn it did. If you're right, that's very interesting and surprising. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are your exact definitions.

P-Code Subject
P0300 *Misfire Detection Checksum Error

P-Code Subject
P0305 *Misfire Detection, Cylinder 5 (Bank 2)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 AM
2005CayenneS
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. Final update.
Last resort dealer changed all coils under warranty.
It is strange that 2 dealers asked me to pay 100% yet another dealer fixed it for free and also extended the warrenty on those coils for another 2 years.
One more strange thing.
I heard Service Manager explaining to his new staff that Porsche extended this deal only for S and Turbo.
This deal reminded me of Chinese "sweet & sour pork" :-)
I can't really say sweet or sour but sure tasty.
Looks like it is the way Porsche cars are made. Ha......
Old 03-30-2011, 07:31 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I believe the warranty is 4 years or 50k -- I don't have the paper in front of me.

In the crazy way Porsche does things -- The extended coil warranty begins at the end of the regular factory 4 year period UNLESS you have had the coils replaced with the updated part at some point during the regular warranty period. SO ....you could have had the original coils replaced and still not start the clock -- it all depends on what coils were installed.

Porsche replaced the coils in my 06 at about the one year mark - by that time they had updated the part. My extended warranty started at that point on the updated coil.

The problem is that many of the updated parts failed. My car had three coil issues -- the last two requiring all eight being replaced. I believe my final coils have a part number ending with -07. Hopefully they hold up.

To the OP -- The coils should be covered by the normal two year part warranty - but the extended warranty starts an the end of the the normal warranty -- so depending on the purchase date -- you could be covered for longer than two years.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A while back someone also pointed out that although Porsche usually warranties their replacement parts for 2 yrs after install they didn't honor that in the coil situation. Porsche (at one time) claimed that if, say -03 coils were used during the first replacement and -05 coils were the ones they use now then since the part isn't the same the 2 yr. warranty did not apply. It made no farkin' sense.

IMHO, Porsche's position on the coil situation is about as clear as mud. They created this mess by not stepping up to the plate when it first became obvious these were a problem.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
2005CayenneS
Intermediate

Thanks. I believe you may be right. Those dealers who want to charge me told the same warranty period. I bought my CS from a close friend who had it for 4 years and never had any issue.(probably the reason was he kept it in the garage once warranty is over) He even did not visit dealer for annual servicing for 4 years.
Any way, I'll cross the bridge when it comes. They installed latest coils with 08 ending and I hope it will be okay.
They way I read in forum, I feel very worried about bringing this beast to camping trips that I usually have no problem with my wife's Outlander in the past. I'll be asking everyone for their opinion on what one should do with coolant pipes under separate theread for everyone's sake.
I like to change it yet it is too costly.(dealer quoted $2600)
Old 03-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

I need coils on my '05 V6 with 83k. I was planning on doing it myself and I'm waiting right now on a quote for a set of coils and plugs from Sunset. But, after reading this I'm wondering if there's any chance mine will still be under warranty?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
2005CayenneS
Intermediate

No harm trying Shawn. I was in the same situation and just a last minute phone call saved me $$$.
I hope you will have a few dealers in your area.
Good luck.

PS: AutohasAZ is selling cheaper but 07 version. Suncoast is a bit more expensive but 08 version. I would go for 08 version as Porshce would not come up with 08 if 07 was flawless.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I think I'm heading to my friendly local NAPA auto parts dealer for a few spares to toss in the spare tire well. They have ECHLIN (trade-brand) coils for the V8 for $20/each. How much worse could they be then the ones Porsche has been throwing in..

BTW - I come from the BMW world (GASP!).. over there, BMW has stepped to the plate a number of time on stick-coil issues. They typically issue an extended coil warranty, taking the coils to 10 years, unlimited miles from the car's "In-Service Date" (when it first left the dealers lot with the first owner.) And they replace all the coils in the case of any coil failure. I suspect a lot of this is being paid for by the coil manufacturers - since who else are they going to sell their crap to if not BMW (and PaG, and Mercedes?) I suspect the amount of leverage the auto manufacturer has with the vendors depends on the amount of stuff they buy from the vendor - and BMW seems to only source from German manufacturers, plus their sales volume has been higher Mercedes and certainly Porsche (not sure on the entire PaG-VW cabal..)
Old 03-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

No harm trying Shawn. I was in the same situation and just a last minute phone call saved me $$$. I hope you will have a few dealers in your area. Good luck.
I called the local dealer and they want me to come in to have the car checked to confirm my mechanic's diagnosis, which is reasonable. The next appointment is a week from today and they'll need at least a couple hours with the car (my mechanic needed 20 minutes). Once they've determined that it is coil packs, then they'll talk to Porsche to see if they'll be covered. You'd think they could take the VIN and give me a 'yes, no, maybe'..? Pain in the ***.

Found out something fun: unbeknownst to me, I had a CPO until last week! There was a confusion at the dealership because there were two '05 blue Cayennes in their system the week I bought mine. Before he figured it out, the salesman and I went through 95% of the paperwork with the wrong car. The CPO must have been missed in the last-minute scramble to get everything redone. It didn't help that I was in a hurry because my daughter had shown up in the school nurse's office with a low-grade fever.

PS: AutohasAZ is selling cheaper but 07 version. Suncoast is a bit more expensive but 08 version. I would go for 08 version as Porshce would not come up with 08 if 07 was flawless.
Suncoast gave me a good quote on OEM coils and plugs (might as well do both, I figure). With shipping, only $100 more than random eBay pieces. That's very tempting at this point.

A buddy of mine at work is an Audi guy. I mentioned that I'd gone to my mechanic about a missing cylinder at idle and the first words out of his mouth were, "Coil packs?"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP WITH IGNITION COIL/SPARK PLUG