Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why empty fuel tank during fuel pump replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 PM
gogobg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why empty fuel tank during fuel pump replacement?

Up for laughs:

Cayenne S 2004

Got the left pump failure (car was stalling after less than 30 sec. of very normal and reliable start, pulled the fuse for the one fuel pump - same thing; pulled the fuse for the other pump - car runs normal)
So my first thought "Let me fill up the tank, so that I don't run out of gas because the other half of the tank is not being pumped."

My second thought was extremely slow to come - "I probably need the tank empty to do the repair" - slow enough to arrive after the tank was nicely topped and full.

I'am a computer programmer and married with 3 young kids, so I guess that explains it.

So...
Can I be EXTREMELY careful and replace the fuel pump with full tank?

If not, how do I empty it?

I was born in a country where it was customary during certain inflationary periods to have your gas siphoned by nice unknown people overnight . I also did participate, during these times, in trafficking fuel to a neighboring country for Deutsche marks So I've smelled it, touched it, even tasted it on numerous occasions. And I've worked on fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, injectors/fuel lines . So my question is actually not "how do I empty the tank" but rather "where from?"

Or could it be as easy as driving the car on the secondary pump until tank is empty?

(Oh, I will be taking pictures from the roof with my tele-lenses, so there will be a nice (hopefully) DIY - I couldn't find one here...)
Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM
flintworks
Advanced

We use a fuel caddy to suck the fuel out after removing the access cover under the rear seat. If you don't mind submerging your hands in fuel then go for it.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 AM
gogobg
AutoX

Thanks - ended up siphoning about 5 gallons (out of the 15 or so I had in the tank)
Fuel pump is in.

I was told I needed an angle piece. Had it, but did not see whereto use it. The only equivalent piece I saw had a permanent hose connection, while the new angle piece I got had quick-connect. Anybody knows more about this?

Overall for the job: unpleasant to do - too much plastic, odd location and the cold weather didn't help (NJ; around 0 degrees C) + zero machine parts washing in oil. Certainly feels good when it's all behind. Crossing my fingers that didn't screw something (but I'll be twice as fast if I have to reopen)

I am wondering how long will the gasoline smell be present in the car?

Will write up procedure details after I download the photos.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 AM
working4it
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine a few weeks ago...can you say a mess of plastic tubes. My smell went away in about a week. Your exactly right in regards to the new elbow. Its to replace the non quick connect at the overflow hose.
I kinked one hose my first try and then quickly found it....how are your hands? Its nice being dipped in all of that gas!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM
abushark
Intermediate

Hi
I have problem with fuel pumps and I will replace them this week end, my first question:
How did you open the flange look did use the VW key tool T10202?
Did you replace sealing ring?
Which fuel pump brand did you use, original or after market?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by abushark
Hi
I have problem with fuel pumps and I will replace them this week end, my first question:
It can be done without the special tool. A large flathead screwdriver and a hammer works if you're careful. Always replace the sealing rings (you will need to open both sides to replace either pump, so get two). Re-used sealing rings often result in EVAP leak faults.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by abushark
Hi
I highly recommend you find and borrow/buy the tank flange tool and torque wrench! Although the hammer and screwdriver method works you can very easily over torque the flange ring and crack the new filter or sending unit (depending on what side your changing) that caps the tank. You can also damage the flange fitting that is molded into the tank. That's something you can't fix without getting a new tank. That's a real big job!!
I have the tool if would like to borrow it.

Just my .02
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM
PD Monkey
Track Day

I am trying to find a write up on this or the location of the left fuel pump. Any ideas?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:20 AM
SoCal Pepper S
3rd Gear

Like a lot of members, I replaced my left fuel pump too. I had a full tank and just did the job regardless of the smell and hands/arms soaked in gasoline. The danger was there too, but as a guy, I just slugged through it. I used a great set of instructions from Renntech.

Key hint - when you are removing the crossover hose from the left to the right tank, be sure]to attach a rope, wire, string, whatever to the hose to use as a pull cord to pull it back when you're putting every together after the replacement.

Quick Reply: Why empty fuel tank during fuel pump replacement?