Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does PDCC make a hum or whine???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
CayenneExpress
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does PDCC make a hum or whine???

My 08 Cayenne S with PDCC hums, whines, or makes a slight vibration at 1000 rpms.

It happens always and exclusively when I pass 1000 RPMS. Nothing to do with the steering, but it is similar to what you would feel or hear when your steering fluid is low.

Dealer says it's due to the PDCC. Is this true? Do you guys with PDCC equipped vehicles feel or hear this hum. It can get annoying and I can't beleive Porsche would put out a product with this side effect. If I had a $125k Panamera with this noise I would take it back to the dealer until it was gone. But I bought a CPO Cayenne S and didn't complain about it til I was off the lot.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneExpress
My 08 Cayenne S with PDCC hums, whines, or makes a slight vibration at 1000 rpms.

It happens always and exclusively when I pass 1000 RPMS. Nothing to do with the steering, but it is similar to what you would feel or hear when your steering fluid is low.

Dealer says it's due to the PDCC. Is this true? Do you guys with PDCC equipped vehicles feel or hear this hum. It can get annoying and I can't beleive Porsche would put out a product with this side effect. If I had a $125k Panamera with this noise I would take it back to the dealer until it was gone. But I bought a CPO Cayenne S and didn't complain about it til I was off the lot.
I don't have my PDCC equipped CS yet, but I'm trying to imagine just what it is that's vibrating or humming. PDCC is hydraulically operated so I imagine there is a pump that's part of it, but there's no reason it should be making noise any more than your power steering should be noisy. Did the dealer check the fluid level in the PDCC system? If he says it's PDCC, can he be more specific; what part and why?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

No issues with mine. As my signature states, it is a 2011. I have 1500 miles on it.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Tell your dealer "Nice try, no cigar!" I have a 2008 GTS with PDCC. No hum or any other "odd" noise. There may be a problem with the hydraulic pump that is driving PDCC (adjustable sway bars, etc..).

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
CayenneExpress
Track Day

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Tell your dealer "Nice try, no cigar!" I have a 2008 GTS with PDCC. No hum or any other "odd" noise. There may be a problem with the hydraulic pump that is driving PDCC (adjustable sway bars, etc..).

Good luck.
Thanks, Toby. I'll take it back to the dealer.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:51 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Mine makes the noise and the dealer says it's normal
Old 12-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cars with PDCC are 'noisier', but without hearing yours it's impossible to say.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I've not noticed a humm or whine on my '09 TTS with PDCC. Not related to the noise, but while it's back at the dealer, have them verify that the rubber standoffs/isolators on the lines are positioned correctly.

The original PDCC hoses are braided stainless, but without any type of protective covering over the hoses. If the standoffs move, the hoses will rub on things and wear through. Porsche released updated hoses that have the protective coating over them. Rather than buy new hoses, I got some thick, clear, 3/4" (1/2" won't fit over the threaded ends), heat-shrink tubing, took the lines apart and installed it after cleaning the stainless braids so I won't have to deal with a failed hydraulic line.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:05 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Do you guys with PDCC equipped vehicles feel or hear this hum.
I've read that PDCC equipped Cayennes do make a whine at lower RPMs similar to what you'd hear with an older power steering pump, and it's supposed to be normal.

In my own experience, my 958 CTT with PDCC does make that slight whine right off idle up to around maybe 1500 rpm or so, although there's not any vibration which you mentioned. But my 957 CTT also had this same whine without PDCC, as have many other Cayennes I've driven. So to me, it just seems like a normal Cayenne trait on most of them.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:43 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I remembered someone on here saying that per the maintenance list, the PDCC reservoir/ pump needs to be replaced at a certain interval? I could be mistaken, which I never am unless you ask my wife.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:46 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

It is. I had mine replaced at the 60k service. Supposed to be every 60k or 72 months. Of course I had to remind my SA to do it...
Old 12-12-2016, 11:24 PM
scallyk9
Intermediate

My '09 TTS with PDCC has such a whine as described like a power steering pump. I noticed this when I traded an '06 S TE for it. It was noticeably loud which turned out be a "tandem" pump that was shared at least with Gen 2 Cayennes with PDCC. Mine was failing so I replaced it but there is still a whine, albeit a less noticeable one.

Quick Reply: Does PDCC make a hum or whine???