Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   V1 radar draining 2A fuses in the Cayenne? (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/619087-v1-radar-draining-2a-fuses-in-the-cayenne.html)

Alichtenberg 02-27-2011 05:28 PM

V1 radar draining 2A fuses in the Cayenne?

(Edit: Nevermind the 2A in the title, I wasn't thinking, the Cayenne uses 5A for the outlets) My V1 radar was working fine for about a few weeks, but suddenly it stopped working as well. It had a big delay for scanning when it started up and was ready to scan (say its all the way on and ready to go, it would not scan until 30 seconds sometimes to 3 minute after that), and it would have pauses to where it would not scan at all (I know this because I have LCA and it went off all the time, sometimes I thought it would be a cop behind me somewhere when the signal got really strong), and its signal strength would get very weak (I wouldn't get a detection until I saw the cop sometimes). Then one day my V1 would not even turn on, I even tried connecting it to the other v12 outlet in the front and the cigg lighter to see if that would do anything, but none of the front ones worked. I assumed the fuse was blown and so I looked at the fuse box on the passenger side and it was. I replaced it and the v1 started working fine again, but soon it stopped getting the power it needed from the outlet again; and so I got a outlet adapter that (I guess) forces a certain amount of amps out and the v1 worked as good as new. After about an hour though, it started acting like it did before, so I was assuming that the fuse was close to being dead. (Edit part)The Cayenne uses 5A uses for its outlets, and the v1 uses a 2A fuse, and it is weird for it to go out that fast in my opinion (might not). Would going to a 7.5A 10A or 15A fuse for the outlets hurt them? What would be the risks? Input would be appreciated.

mpd425 02-27-2011 08:28 PM

I wouldn't change the fuse size. Try the V1 in a different vehicle to make sure the problem isn't the V1

Mike in CA 02-27-2011 08:33 PM

The V1 in my Carrera S is piggybacked to a 10A fuse in the fuse panel. I have never had a problem with it. BTW, the smallest fuse in my Carrera is a 7.5A but I imagine its possible that the Cayenne has a circuit that only uses 5A. That said, given that the V1 comes with 1A and 2A fuses (depending which connector you use) it shouldn't be overloading the 5A fuse unless the combined draw from the V1 and whatever else is working on that circuit are too much.

I would use a switched circuit with a 10A fuse or more. I would also double check all of your connections to check for a bad ground or intermittent short. Try the V1 in another car. If you have similar problems it may be the unit itself that's bad. Fuses blowing are not the cause of your problem; they are a symptom of something that is wrong with your V1 or how you have it wired.

Alichtenberg 02-28-2011 04:25 AM

Figured out the adapter I was using along with the V1 was forcing out 2.1A, and would that combined with the v1 uses 4.1A altogether? If so, would that create any problems for a 5A fuse? Since it is already using possibly .5-1A to power the two outlets and the one cigg lighter, it might be a guess that it would use the whole 5A or a little over 5A being to much from the fuse to power them and the 5A fuse just couldn't withstand that much (more than 5A) for a long period of time(5A). That or I do need to have the V1 sent off to be checked out, because I am using one of my father's at the moment due to the fact I unscrewed mine to see if I could somehow improve the power, but I couldn't; so I put it back together, and it showed some lights missing from powering on stage (the small button/orb lights on the bottom). So that is a guess that I put it back together wrong, or I messed something up and it needs to be sent back for repairs. Anyway, I will see about the piggyback with a 10A fuse or higher. Maybe someone with a '11 Cayenne (not to sure if pre-'11 Cayenne fuse boxes match up the same or not) can show me how they possibly have it hard-wired (if they do). Would it be bad trying to the service department I use (at McDaniels Porsche) what fuse slot would be good to use for it since I am not all that good at this (like would they get mad at me for trying to do this or would they possibly offer help with it?)? Or would I be better off asking my brother who knows a good bit about this stuff? Maybe I could do it alone with some intructions and photos, but other than that, I am not completely sure how to do it (unless it is suspocedly easy).

sokoloff 02-28-2011 11:20 AM

If you aren't blowing the fuse, the size of the fuse is not* going to change whether or not your V1 works correctly. Don't sweat trying to find another circuit if you're alerady using it on a circuit that isn't blowing the fuse. Look elsewhere for the problem.

--Jim

* - It's so spectacularly unlikely as to be not worth considering while troubleshooting. You may have noise in the electrical system that moving to another circuit would help, but it won't be because the 5A fused circuit "wasn't big enough"

mudman2 02-28-2011 04:48 PM

surely when you open a bottle of wine does it not flow

Hermes911 01-06-2019 08:16 AM

Hi,
i’m going to hardwire a dashcam on my 2016 Cayenne diesel. I’m tired of the loose wire I currently use plugged into the cigarette lighter. It is a little confusing regarding what size add a circuit device I should buy. Is it an ATC or ATO. I bought one and it was too small (mini?). What size fuse do you recommend? 5 amp?
Thanks.
Hermes

slavie 01-06-2019 12:43 PM

Wow, major thread necro. But, at least you used the search function.

You need a "regular" fuse. ATC and ATO are same thing -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

The size of the fuse depends on the wire connected to it, as the fuse is there to protect the wire first, the device second, so it would depend on what wire you connect to the fuse tap. 2A should be sufficient for any dash cam. Make sure you install the fuse tap correctly and retain the correct fuse for the original circuit being tapped.

Hermes911 01-06-2019 08:36 PM

Fuse choice

Thank you.

What does, “Wow, major thread necro” mean?

Hermes

deilenberger 01-06-2019 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes911 (Post 15546454)
Thank you.

What does, “Wow, major thread necro” mean?

Hermes

It means you've revived a thread that has been dead, passed-on, gone to it's maker - 8 years ago.

Avec 01-07-2019 08:21 AM

Instead of tapping into an existing circuit, you can use a piggyback connector at the fuse panel and add a new fuse.

nodoors 01-08-2019 03:35 PM

The piggy back connectors work great on the passenger side fuse panel behind the glove box. I have one that powers both a hardwired dashcam and v1 radar detector. There are plenty of spots where you can plug into the panel with ACC switched power. Just use a MM to test a few fuse sockets when the car is on and off. There are a couple good steel bolts that are easy to use for chassis grounds. It is also quite easy to route the wires from that location up through the A pillar and under the top of the headliner to the rearview mirror on the windshield and bob's your mother's brother.

Hermes911 01-09-2019 10:01 AM

Thanks.

What is the “Bob’s your mother’s brother” reference at the end of your message mean?

Hermes

nodoors 01-09-2019 05:38 PM

It is an old british expression meaning you are all set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle