Sponsored by:

Cardan shaft DIY...and other stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOTITUDE
couldnt upload new photos. RL file management said I was full so i deleted some older ones. looks like i can onlyhave 8-10 pics up at one time. any way to fix or just my picb files are too big? if you are gonna try the center bearing replacement, i have 2 new ones sitting at the shop. i was gonna be ambitious but got lazy and did the whole shaft. they are the regular ones, not the new vertex things. lmk if you need the pics.
Scott are you in Dallas? I may grab one here in a week or 2....

I am almost to 120k and probably need to get a new bearing in my cars future as first shaft went at 65k.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy-Rider
Hi all
Cardan Shaft rubber support at bearing has now failed (80K miles.....not bad for oem). I know about the replacement shatf but Vertex is now offering the split support as an alternative (do not need to remove shaft from car or ship back old core shaft). Love the idea but....has anyone done it yet???????

thanks.....
Just wondering - did you read ANY of the threads above yours before posting?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM
is.deleon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed! Might need it in the furute - edit: Will need it in the future!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
....and spoil the fun!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It's easier to ask a question than read at least ONE post above.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Easy-Rider
Track Day

Really, REALLY!~

Did you even "READ" my post before piling on?

I read every post I could find here on Rennlist, including the 4 pages prior to posting my question! So I take real offense to you jumping all over me for posting a question that has not been dealt with or discussed in great detail.

If you recall, I had asked had anyone replaced the failed rubber boot of the bearing with the new Split support from Vertex (not a replacement bearing and not a replacement shaft)......from the previous threads there were long write-ups of how to replace the DIY bearing because the support had failed but little discussion about, had the "bearing really failed". Seems that the current Forum assumption is that once the rubber support starts to breakdown it needs to be replaced and that the bearing has failed!

Well from what I read in the searches here and the many other treads there was little discussion about the condition of the existing bearing on the existing shaft........but the condition of the existing bearing was a "moot" point since there was not a solution to replace only the rubber shock mount...until Vertex offered the split support solution. I am not an advocate for or against the product - I only was looking for member experience, since the product has only been available since last fall (confirmed this discussion with a direct phone call to Vertex prior to my post - Vertex also told me that they have had 2 test units running for over a year with no complications)......seems there is not a lot of first hand experience.....

So, this is why asked the members of this Forum the question - had anyone replaced the "shock mount" rubber support of the existing bearing with the new Vertex Split Support part. So far I have not heard from anyone or any member who had actually installed it or posted about it "first hand". Maybe my search technique is not as refined as some, but even since I had posted this a week ago, I have only found a few discussions about the proposed approach.

Sorry, you feel the need blast a member for posting a question that has "NOT" been discussed in any great length.....and of course all the other members who enjoy piling on for good fun.......

I do want to thank Don for providing feedback to what he had heard from another forum and his thoughts as it related to noise and vibration being induced into the cabin as a result of this approach.

Sorry some you guys feel the need to bash and trash posters! Really inspires cooperation on the site.....

Anyway, at least we all can agree that we love our PIG's...even with their faults....

Easy-Rider
OHIO
Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy-Rider
Really, REALLY!~

Did you even "READ" my post before piling on?

I read every post I could find here on Rennlist, including the 4 pages prior to posting my question! So I take real offense to you jumping all over me for posting a question that has not been dealt with or discussed in great detail.

If you recall, I had asked had anyone replaced the failed rubber boot of the bearing with the new Split support from Vertex (not a replacement bearing and not a replacement shaft)......from the previous threads there were long write-ups of how to replace the DIY bearing because the support had failed but little discussion about, had the "bearing really failed". Seems that the current Forum assumption is that once the rubber support starts to breakdown it needs to be replaced and that the bearing has failed!

Well from what I read in the searches here and the many other treads there was little discussion about the condition of the existing bearing on the existing shaft........but the condition of the existing bearing was a "moot" point since there was not a solution to replace only the rubber shock mount...until Vertex offered the split support solution. I am not an advocate for or against the product - I only was looking for member experience, since the product has only been available since last fall (confirmed this discussion with a direct phone call to Vertex prior to my post - Vertex also told me that they have had 2 test units running for over a year with no complications)......seems there is not a lot of first hand experience.....

So, this is why asked the members of this Forum the question - had anyone replaced the "shock mount" rubber support of the existing bearing with the new Vertex Split Support part. So far I have not heard from anyone or any member who had actually installed it or posted about it "first hand". Maybe my search technique is not as refined as some, but even since I had posted this a week ago, I have only found a few discussions about the proposed approach.

Sorry, you feel the need blast a member for posting a question that has "NOT" been discussed in any great length.....and of course all the other members who enjoy piling on for good fun.......

I do want to thank Don for providing feedback to what he had heard from another forum and his thoughts as it related to noise and vibration being induced into the cabin as a result of this approach.

Sorry some you guys feel the need to bash and trash posters! Really inspires cooperation on the site.....

Anyway, at least we all can agree that we love our PIG's...even with their faults....

Easy-Rider
OHIO
Rider, take it Easy and unbunch your panties. No one "bashed" or "trashed" or "jumped all over" you. Overreacting just a "tiny" bit

And now that I think of it, cardan shaft was one of the few things that hasn't been replaced in my previous P!G at 130k miles
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
mcbit
Drifting

I'm at 140k kms on the CTT and 80k kms on the GTS both on original cardan shafts and no signs of failure. I can see no reason why the Vertex solution should not work, and providing the bearing is still serviceable a quick, repeatable and relatively cheap fix.

I guess only time will tell whether it is the definitive fix or not. I think I'd be prepared to give it a go though.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm at 100K kms on my '06 CTTS and probably will be ready for a Cardan shaft soon but no tell tale signs yet, probaby should do a visual inpection though and see if I can see any tears in the rubber on the bearing support. I think the only problem people have with the Vertex bearing is the increase in cabin noise as there seems to be less isolation of the bearing than the OEM design, but yes, it may last longer.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

BAN HIM! Burn the witch!!!!....

No seriously.........it's been awhile since I have seen someone banned.

JK, Easy.......after 3-4 months of lurking(not trolling) I joined up as Rennlist member.....well worth it and it keeps the wolves at bay when you slip up.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
I think the only problem people have with the Vertex bearing is the increase in cabin noise as there seems to be less isolation of the bearing than the OEM design, but yes, it may last longer.
I would expect similar isolation, the rubber is still there just in a different format.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Easy-Rider
Track Day

OK - your right .....I may have over reacted.....sorry.......Thanks for the feedback everyone.....I really appreciate it.....

I have since ordered the replacement shaft from Vertex and abandoned the idea of replacing the "rubber mount" since I do not know the condition of the Bearing and suspect that a failing bearing is most likely the cause for the failing rubber support (which was pointed out by member feedback). At lease I know a replacement shaft and bearing can get another 60-80K and no risk or experiment..

Loving my PIG........

Thanks.....everyone....
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
snappy
Racer

Quick question I hope you guys can help. Wich color bolts goes where on the Flex disk side?
I grouped them as I took them out but, I forgot with ones goes where.
One set it painted black and I think they went to couple the driveshaft to the flex disk. and the silver ones couples the Flex disk to the Transmission.

Also am I right that the washers goes on the NUT side?

Thank you.

ps.. I looked at the PET Diagram and it SEEEEMS that the m12 70 longer bolt goes into the Axel and Flex disk and the shorter m12 65 goes into the Transmission side.
Also Seems that on the driveshaft you put the washer at the Back with the NUT and on the Transmissio side with the shorter bolt you put the washer on the bolt side and no washer at the back.

Problem is that the replacement Flex disk that came with my new driveshaft seems to be skinnier and the bolts are to long.

man, nothing with this car is ever easy to fix
Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Pass V1
Rennlist Member

I've got the same problem with a shaft from Vertex. They claim the thinner/ softer Flex disk is better. Has any one had experience with their flex disk? Installed mine with thicker washers on the bolt side to make it work.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe this will help:

Hopefully the washer orientation is pretty clear.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cardan shaft DIY...and other stuff...