Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About to go buy coffee card...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thanks guys
Yeldogt, sure.. This is nothing more than a 2 piece drive shaft with a CV joint in the middle. If they made it a 1 piece, then the front diff would have to be a lot lower than it is in the car. So by making it 2 piece they can give it that 'bend' in the middle. That bend is done via the CV joint. This CV joint is no different than any other one in the world really, other than it having a metal cover for protection vs a rubber boot. The back end of the metal cover actually does turn into a rubber boot though. So if you picture the metal can as being all rubber, then its just a generic CV joint. (that make sense?)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

I had a Turbo S in the shop yesterday for the shaft replacement so I snapped some shots. It shows all the neccesary parts and bolts that need to come out and where everything is located. An abbreviated DIY.
1- drop the exhaust. Support the muffler end. 4 bolts on front collars. 2 sets of hangers. Easier to drop the hangers than pull the rubbers. one hanger on each side of muffler. remove all bolts and push exhaust back from the bends by the collars. it will slip off the converter pipes.
2- 3 nuts and bolts on front end of shaft. 14 triple sq on rear 6 bolts with half moons. 6 bolts holding bearing plate to chassis. 2 - 13mm bolts holding bearing to plate.
3- a bit of prying on the guibo to get the front down. The rear a bit of a PITA. If you drop it with the rear still in the carrier the cv will come apart and leave the rear housing inside the carrier thus dropping your *****. there is only 1/8" of the cv housing inside the carrier so a little tapping will release it.
Installation pretty straightforward.
***save ALL the parts if its a Vertex core and send them back!!!***

Last edited by SCOTITUDE; 12-19-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Last edited by SCOTITUDE; 12-19-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mxquattro
OK Heres my lame attempt at a picture. Thanks to the OP for the photo!
Wow, Mudman and Ltc should give you another year free here at Rennlist

Great job, you can make some money rebuilting these.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Funny you mention that, I just got my reminder that Im due to renew. ;-) No worries, I get a lot out of this list and worth every penny.
Scotitude, thanks for the pictures... Is that a rebuild? aftermarket? OE Porsche? Looks nice!!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:37 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

remanned from Vertex. Im curious to see how long the Vertex units will last as the factory ones only good for around 60k.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM
jkgco
3rd Gear

Hi, Mxquattro, I have been following your advice to swap the carrier bearing in my wife's 2006 Cayenne V6. I am stuck at the part where I need to separate the two shafts. I am trying to spread the circlip while simultaneously pulling the CV trunion thingy from the splined shaft. The circlip is not the standard type that has the two little holes for the circlip pliers, so I am having problems holding the clip open while prying/pulling the whatever-its-called off the shaft. What is the trick here?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Mods: Will you sticky this thread, please..?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
jkgco
3rd Gear

Unhappy Flippin Cardan Shaft carrier bearing replacement saga

OK, finally got the cardan shaft separated: took a 5-ton press to remove the CV yoke off the splined shaft. Then to remove the carrier bearing took everything the 5-ton press had to get that removed. Almost gave up, then heard a loud POP, and the bearing started to slide off. Whew. Pressed the new RockAuto bearing onto the shaft (much easier for the 5-ton press to do). Now, I am stuck trying to reassemble the CV joint. I have maintained alignment between the two shafts with markings, and have placed the ***** and have rocked the joint together, but it is stiff and seems wrong. Are the CV housing and CV yoke machined such that they only go together one way, or can you put it together any six ways? I'm stumped again. Could some angel call me? 804 350-8448
I'm out in the driveway with a BFH and a pair of crescent wrenches.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 AM
jpurdue425
7th Gear

Just joined the club for failed caspan shaft. My symptoms were similar to most. Sounds like someone is beating the floorboard with a hammer on acceleration. I also had a small ticking noise which later proved to be the rubber flap smacking the inside of the bearing carrier.

Thank you all for your help in this thread. I snapped some photos during my swap. I opted for the replacing the bearing myself. I have to agree with everyone, getting that sucker off was a huge pain. as you can see in the last pic, it took a cutting wheel to get it off. My advise during this procedure is to not cut all the way through and smack it with a hammer and center punch (parallel with the shaft so you don't accidentally punch the shaft)

Wishful thinking...

Hope this helps the next person.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:58 PM
jkgco
3rd Gear

Wink Cardan shaft carrier bearing success!

Had to let the Cayenne sit in the carport for a week cause I have three kids and a job, but got back to it this am. I found this website that tells the secret of reassembling the CV joint: http://www.benplace.com/cv_joint_maintenance.htm; turns out that the intuitive way to reassemble is wrong, and this site explains how to do it right. Anyhow, I got it all back together in a couple hours, and a test drive rewarded me with a smooth ride! All in all, this job was tough for an old hot rodder like me, who doesn't have a shop or much in the way of tools, but it can be done. (on my old MB 190E I replaced the driveshaft carrier bearing twice, and it was so easy and fast to do) I could not have done this w/o this forum, so thanks for all who posted the great advice! BTW: our Cayenne is a 2005 V6 grocery getter with 51K miles, and this is the only thing that has broken except we had to replace the cabin heater motor last year because leaves enter through the hood/windshield slot. IMO, both failures are due to crummy engineering, but I love the Cayenne anyway!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jkgco
Had to let the Cayenne sit in the carport for a week cause I have three kids and a job, but got back to it this am. I found this website that tells the secret of reassembling the CV joint: http://www.benplace.com/cv_joint_maintenance.htm turns out that the intuitive way to reassemble is wrong, and this site explains how to do it right. Anyhow, I got it all back together in a couple hours, and a test drive rewarded me with a smooth ride! All in all, this job was tough for an old hot rodder like me, who doesn't have a shop or much in the way of tools, but it can be done. (on my old MB 190E I replaced the driveshaft carrier bearing twice, and it was so easy and fast to do) I could not have done this w/o this forum, so thanks for all who posted the great advice! BTW: our Cayenne is a 2005 V6 grocery getter with 51K miles, and this is the only thing that has broken except we had to replace the cabin heater motor last year because leaves enter through the hood/windshield slot. IMO, both failures are due to crummy engineering, but I love the Cayenne anyway!
I took out the semi-colon in the link above to make it work. Oh, and Thanks everyone for posting. I'm finding this very helpful in building my confidence as I explore purchasing this awesome SUV.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

anybody ever look into this drive shaft. They also sell the factory one for more ... but this is their heavy duty version ..... http://www.turbokraft.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=166 they reccomend the heavy duty shaft on the description of the factory one
Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

JKGCO, glad you finally got it. Ive been gone for a bit, but just getting back to the forums now. Some great new pics have been posted, and Im glad to see so many others are having success with the r&r. My theory was, its already broken, what do I have to lose? As it turns out, it isnt too bad.

Quick Reply: Cardan shaft DIY...and other stuff...