Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cardan shaft DIY...and other stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No pics! How about everyone of us on here about to do this sends you a Starbucks gift card for a step-by-step guide. You post it, then when we utilize your experience, we send you a gift card. You could get free coffee for life... Cardan Shafted royalties!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only one -- even better. On the rebuilt units does anybody know if they do the CV joint. Normally the CV's are robust?

I only ask because I may take my Cayenne on an extended trip and I'm thinking I should carry one along. You know it will go on some mountain pass ..... on a saturday!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Only one -- even better. On the rebuilt units does anybody know if they do the CV joint. Normally the CV's are robust?

I only ask because I may take my Cayenne on an extended trip and I'm thinking I should carry one along. You know it will go on some mountain pass ..... on a saturday!
Call or email Vertex as they sell them (rebuilt shafts).
Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by mxquattro
I almost took pictures but my hands were so loaded with grease and dirt. But it isnt that difficult. I got mine at rockauto.com I think it was $65 plus a $3 discount or something like that. It was an exact replacement and fit absolutely perfectly. Ive always had really good luck with them. Mine is also an 06.
Thanks for the info on the site, had not see that one.

Their part info - ÜRO PARTS Part # 955421020SUP

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

This is great information -- I may just order one. Takes a known problem and reduces to a minor annoyance. And the dealers were getting what for this

So this bearing is under some type of rubber boot -- is it greased.

Sorry for the dumb questions -- I have never looked at it.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some pics of my trashed shaft. u can see the rubber is gone from the bushing.

Last edited by SCOTITUDE; 12-19-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Boy - that came apart.

So can you order the new rubber? I did not see it listed
if "no" then I guess you have to replace the bearing before it get too bad?

Also -- that looks like a flex plate on the one end? Is it a separate part or does it come with the shaft. Just replaced these on my MB wagon.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
mxquattro
Instructor

I like the coffee idea!! Thanks for the shaft pics Scotitude. You know as I was doing it I was seriously kicking myself for not having my camera or even my phone camera. The picture above shows the bearing (with the bad rubber) still attached to the bottom plate. That bottom plate comes off with 6 bolts from the body. once you get it off like in the picture, then you can unbolt it from the center bearing with 2 13mm bolts and it will look like the part in the picture 993billw posted (youre welcome 993billw, yeah that place is great).
Scotitude, I think you actually made it a little harder for yourself by taking off the rubber flex donut. Those bolts are tougher to get out than the 3 that go between the shaft and the donut, but 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.
Yeldogt, cant just order the rubber, you have to get the whole center bearing which includes the rubber and the metal yoke. (as in 993billw's pic). The rubber in the replacement part was actually nicer than the OE part.
Using Scotitudes pic, I marked it up. I cant seem to post a picture here, but when I get home Ill put it on my web server for you, just dont make fun of my photoshop "skills"

bob
Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

I love this site so much!

I'm definitely going to need my brother's help if my shaft goes. I was trying to lean him towards a Cayenne to replace his busted Chevy so we could share the joy/misery/labor, but it looks like his wife has directed that a Tribeca will be their next vehicle.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I believe I understand now. The bearing in the picture that 993billw posted is not protected from the elements -- it just sits out ...... correct?

When you were speaking about being all greasy -- I'm thinking that the bearing was encased in a rubber boot -- filled with grease.

Are they normally designed like this -- I have to say the last drive shaft I worked on was my Mothers 10 year old 300se when I was in High School .. 1978 -- can't say I remember the design!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

I got all greasy as soon as you uncrimp the metal can housing the CV joint. (its a fairly thin metal and really easy to do). This is a pretty common design these days, it helps with the ground clearance. It allows them to tuck the front diff up higher and not use a straight drive shaft. But youre right the bearing 993billw posted is right out in the open, and really easy to diagnose when it goes. /

When the shaft bearing lets go, it sounds pretty bad, but its no big deal. It just flops around around within that metal yoke. Its already broken so it wont hurt anything, it just sounds like someone hitting a hammer on your floor board. I had to drive around like that for a couple of days before I got to it, but went easy on it. Im sure if I went too long it would affect the rubber flex donut.. but it definitely sounds worse than it really is.
bob
Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

OK Heres my lame attempt at a picture. Thanks to the OP for the photo!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Holy cow, that's nice work!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Very Nice:

I'm still a little confused about the CV Joint disassembly -- can you explain a little bit more.

The only experience I have had with a CV joint is replacing a ripped boot on a FWD car -- but that was just adding grease and using the supplied clips that can be installed without any special tools.

I don't get this one -- does this have a metal shield over it for protection?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

MX, if that's you're definition of a "lame attempt" I'm not going to let you see my work.....

Nice job.

Quick Reply: Cardan shaft DIY...and other stuff...