Sponsored by:

Cayenne Coolent Pipe Class Action Law Suit - Effort Now Underway

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 AM
roxboxxx
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Coolent Pipe Class Action Law Suit - Effort Now Underway

CLASS ACTION CASE BEING PREPARED - ATTORNEYS NOW INVOLVED - COLLECTING NAMES!

Rennlisters,

It was suggested by a 6speed member (where I spend most of my posting hours) that I also post this here. An effort was started to take legal action against PCNA for the plastic coolant lines that are so prone to failure in 03 - 06 cayenne's (V8s). There are 6-7 pages of posts to read on 6 speed but it all boils down to the current status which is as follows:

----------

There are 2 lawyers that have begun preparing a class action suit against PCNA for this issue. They are preparing their case in 3 states - New York, New Jersey and California (& possibly florida). They are doing so as this is where the largest concentration of Cayenne owners live. As Porsche will have to fight each case separately, it is the hopes of the attorneys that PCNA would settle first, make restitution to those who already paid and issue a recall for those who have not. If that happens, it is the attorney's believe that it would be nationwide and not just in the filed states.

I created a secure online form that to-date, has collected 30 registrants. As of this morning, I provided direct access to the database to the attorneys and notified all 6speed members (that completed the form) that they may be contacted. I have another conference call with the attorneys (Info posted below) to review in detail the status of the case and to discuss if they would like me to add any additional data collection points to the form.

Therefore - IF YOU WISH to get behind this effort and strengthen the suit,
I would encourage you to register. Please note that if you do, you may be contacted by either of the attorneys or any additional co-council that they bring on. Also, YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE REPLACED THE PIPES IN ORDER TO REGISTER. IF YOU OWN A CAYENNE S, TT or ANY V8 VARIANT, YOU CAN REGISTER

NOTE 1: The attorneys have found references to the coolant pipes on the 08 and new possibly also being plastic. They are looking into this now and if it turns out to be the case, the form will be updated to include later years.

NOTE 2 : AS OF TODAY, THERE IS NO NEED TO CONTACT JEANNE or HER CO-COUNCIL DIRECTLY IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE FORM. THEY WILL SELECT WHO THEY THINK WILL HELP THE CASE AND REACH OUT VIA THE EMAIL YOU ENTER IN THE FORM.

NOTE 3: The legal team may engage PCNA in other states (other than NJ, NY, CALI & possibly Florida). It's important to show PCNA that they are in for a long legal state-by-state battle if they do not consider resolution. Therefore, it does not matter if your state is represented out of the gate, you are still encouraged to register - ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAD THE COOLANT PIPES FAIL AND YOU PAID TO REPLACE THEM!

LINKS & DATA

The registration form:

https://www.smartsheet.com/b/publish...652d1240be51ad

The original threads from 6speed:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...n-lawsuit.html

and

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...aint-here.html

The lead attorneys:

Jeanne M. Christensen, Esq.
Schlanger & Schlanger, LLP
Main Phone: 1-800-685-2580 | Email: jeanne@schlangerlegal.com
www.NewYorkConsumerProtection.com
Westchester Office:
1025 Westchester Ave., Ste. 108
White Plains, NY 10604
Fax: 914.946.2930 Manhattan Office:
100 Church St., 8th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Fax: 212.500.6114

Her co-council in Boston is
Gary Klein of roddy-klein-ryan

Thanks to various other 6 speed members for support and for Dmacintosh who was the first known member to actually call an attorney

Hope this helps everyone here and here is to a speedy win!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 AM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see the initiative here. It would be nice to recoup those costs.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

All the best guys.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

nice job rox...
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

or

I'm really conflicted.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
or

I'm really conflicted.
You and me both (and limited, me thinks)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
wirunner
Pro

So should one fill out this form if they wish to join but PCNA replaced the pipes under warranty (original or CPO)? I think a lot of us fall into this category as well and don't really care about restitution regarding the pipes since that was properly resolved but more about the future damage the coolant will cause (that probably won't be covered), like starter/transmission seal.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
rrich49132
Intermediate

What I don't understand is if these are a time bomb that will go bad with every Porsche why did they not recognize this and recall the cars? What does it take for a company to recall a vehicle for a defective part?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by rrich49132
What I don't understand is if these are a time bomb that will go bad with every Porsche why did they not recognize this and recall the cars? What does it take for a company to recall a vehicle for a defective part?
Likely would be an outcome of above if successful...

Why no recall? $2k to fix each. Plus plastic is cheap and they ordered it in bulk back in 03.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So my understanding is that a class action lawsuit is headed by one or more lead plaintiffs, who essentially settle the matter for the entire class with whatever terms they agree to with PCNA and the courts. If it's granted class status, all cases across all jurisdictions are consolidated and all class members would be subject to what the one (or two or three) lead plaintiffs determine to be fair.

So, considering exactly 100% of the lead plaintiff(s) are on these boards, it might not hurt to hear what the other 83,000 Cayenne owners think would constitute a fair and thorough remedy:

* Out-of-pocket expenses related to the repair;
* Any other repair expense cause by failed pipes/leaking coolant (how is this determined?);
* ? ?

Possibly:
* Therapy/Counseling/Prescription Meds (for LTC);
* New 2011 Cayenne Turbo (for lead plaintiffs);
Old 01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
roxboxxx
Cruisin'

Exactly Sean. Lawyers are collecting as much data as possible. It is VERY possible that PCNA will try to setting if they know there is sizable evidence against them and if they are forced to fight multiple cases instead of 1.

If someone had the pipes replaced under Porsche's warranty already I would not expect them to be reimbursed anything. HOWEVER - by registering anyway, the lead attorneys can further demonstrate the depth of the problem. SO - if that is you, please register anyway.

Concerning the term "Ticking Time bomb" - that is SPOT ON and is part of the proposed case. PCNA should be forced to take proactive action BEFORE failure.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by seankrider
So my understanding is that a class action lawsuit is headed by one or more lead plaintiffs, who essentially settle the matter for the entire class with whatever terms they agree to with PCNA and the courts. If it's granted class status, all cases across all jurisdictions are consolidated and all class members would be subject to what the one (or two or three) lead plaintiffs determine to be fair.

So, considering exactly 100% of the lead plaintiff(s) are on these boards, it might not hurt to hear what the other 83,000 Cayenne owners think would constitute a fair and thorough remedy:

* Out-of-pocket expenses related to the repair;
* Any other repair expense cause by failed pipes/leaking coolant (how is this determined?);
* ? ?

Possibly:
* Therapy/Counseling/Prescription Meds (for LTC);
* New 2011 Cayenne Turbo (for lead plaintiffs);
For some reason I would be hard pressed to think of anything 83,000 Pepper owner's would agree on. The people that have put in the effort to get this started should be able to decide. If someone doesn't want to be a part of the class then they can proceed on their own.

IIRC this was much the same way the BMW engine main bearing (?) issue came to be resolved. BMW failed (at first) to acknowledge the problem until they were forced by a class action suit. Then all owners benefited by having BMW repair the cars and warranty them for 100k mi. (I may be a little off on the facts but I think I'm pretty close) BMW E46 engines.

Originally Posted by roxboxxx
Exactly Sean. Lawyers are collecting as much data as possible. It is VERY possible that PCNA will try to setting if they know there is sizable evidence against them and if they are forced to fight multiple cases instead of 1.

If someone had the pipes replaced under Porsche's warranty already I would not expect them to be reimbursed anything. HOWEVER - by registering anyway, the lead attorneys can further demonstrate the depth of the problem. SO - if that is you, please register anyway.

Concerning the term "Ticking Time bomb" - that is SPOT ON and is part of the proposed case. PCNA should be forced to take proactive action BEFORE failure.
Although I've not had the problem on my Pepper yet I know it's only a matter of time. Hopefully they will fail while it's still under CPO coverage and I won't need to worry about it.

Best of luck to the class plaintiffs.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Although I've not had the problem on my Pepper yet I know it's only a matter of time. Hopefully they will fail while it's still under CPO coverage and I won't need to worry about it.
My service manager replaced my coolant pipes under warranty just before the warranty expired. There's a reason they are a Premier dealer. dave
Old 01-26-2011, 02:44 AM
roxboxxx
Cruisin'

ALL - THE OFFICIAL SITE FROM THE ATTORNEYS IS NOW UP

http://cayenneclassaction.com
Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I went to Larry's grave yesterday...just to talk...I mentioned this class action lawsuit. I am pretty sure he laughed.

This should make for good theatre.

If this lawfirm has extra time, perhaps they should speak with Carrera and Boxster owners regarding RMS and IMS failures.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coolent Pipe Class Action Law Suit - Effort Now Underway