Sponsored by:

Heated Windscreen Option-- Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Windscreen Option-- Review

As many of you may have seen, I was second guessing my choice of this option after I took delivery of my '11 CS because of the visibility of the heating element (esecially due to the glare caused at night).

Well, after the first snow storm I am sold on it. Snow is basically turned to streaming water. And, if the car is covered with snow when you get in, it just melts it away. No wiers scraping, no ice build up.

Great option.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the feedback rome. I know that this was a major concern when I was shopping for the wife's ML back in 2002 as we were initially leaning towards the LR Discovery which had the heated windscreen feature as standard but opted out due to many complaints surrounding the glare. The Disco's windshield was also closer to the driver than the Cayenne so I assume that the close proximity made it a bigger problem.

By the way, as an owner of the previous generation Cayennes, I'm sure you can relate to the terrible ventilation path for defogging the windshield. Unless you use the defogging option which immediately boosts the HVAC blower into "Hurricane Mode", it's hard to keep the upper extremities defogged using the standard settings.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
As many of you may have seen, I was second guessing my choice of this option after I took delivery of my '11 CS because of the visibility of the heating element (esecially due to the glare caused at night).

Well, after the first snow storm I am sold on it. Snow is basically turned to streaming water. And, if the car is covered with snow when you get in, it just melts it away. No wiers scraping, no ice build up.

Great option.
Still have a problem with the night glare?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Rome, I really would like to appreciate you for taking the time (that too during this time of the year) to post your take on the HW. This post of yours is like a christmas present for me. I did have angina and spent a few sleepless nights wondering why I ordered this especially after all the posts on haze/halo effect. Three questions for you. 1. Are you getting adjusted to these effects ?
2. Is there any appreciable visual artefact in the daytime related to the HW if you are trying to focus on the cars/road ahead and not staring at the HW?
3. If you are to order again froms scratch would you still order the HW ?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Thanks for the feedback rome. I know that this was a major concern when I was shopping for the wife's ML back in 2002 as we were initially leaning towards the LR Discovery which had the heated windscreen feature as standard but opted out due to many complaints surrounding the glare. The Disco's windshield was also closer to the driver than the Cayenne so I assume that the close proximity made it a bigger problem.

By the way, as an owner of the previous generation Cayennes, I'm sure you can relate to the terrible ventilation path for defogging the windshield. Unless you use the defogging option which immediately boosts the HVAC blower into "Hurricane Mode", it's hard to keep the upper extremities defogged using the standard settings.
The defoger/defroster in the '11 is hurricane like as well. I'm happy to have the heated wind screen and will put up with the glare.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Divot
Still have a problem with the night glare?
Getting used to it somewhat, but it's not ideal.

Sometimes I'll drive and not even think about it, then I see the lines in the windscreen , or the glare at night, and it's hard to NOT focus on it.

Still, the heated windscreen is great.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Rome, I really would like to appreciate you for taking the time (that too during this time of the year) to post your take on the HW. This post of yours is like a christmas present for me. I did have angina and spent a few sleepless nights wondering why I ordered this especially after all the posts on haze/halo effect. Three questions for you. 1. Are you getting adjusted to these effects ?
2. Is there any appreciable visual artefact in the daytime related to the HW if you are trying to focus on the cars/road ahead and not staring at the HW?
3. If you are to order again froms scratch would you still order the HW ?
1. Getting adjusted, yes.
2. During the day time, there are times when I don't think about the lines in the WS. Then I will see them, and it's hard not to focus on them...almos tlike an optical illusion.
3. I'd get it again because in New England we have lots of bad weather and I do a lot of highway driving. It's still a little to early to tell for sure... but viewing it as a keeper right now... maybe in july I'll change my mind again...lol
Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 PM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there any truth to what I had once read that a heated windshield has a film in it that can make a radar detector less effective?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the write up Rome. Have you left your new P!G out over night in the freezing weather?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm getting used to the nighttime effect, amazing how the mind adjusts. But occasionally a passenger will say something like "gee, a lot of oncoming cars are keeping their high beams on tonight" - that's the telltale effect of the heated screen. Sure do like the quick effect on every inch of the screen without the hurricane defroster blower. Running them together and you're good to go in less than 30 seconds for me.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

you don't need hurricane defrost on - use the options to direct it just to the upper and then you can control the speed with the normal fan control
Old 12-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the write up on the heated windscreen. For those of us in more moderate climates it sounds as if the glare issue might override it's benefits.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

I don't know how to quote correctly on here yet. So RAASpeedster, Yes it does have the heated lines that interfere with radar/laser detectors (Range Rovers do at least). I drive my dad's RR around sometimes but I can't use my V1 because it is useless due to the heated windscreen (this is from experience to, I got pulled for doing 20 over in a 55 zone, even though I was going 64, luckily got only a warning though). The Cayenne's heated windscreen might be different, I am not sure. I was not willing to risk having no radar/laser detection in the car I drive though.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Thanks for the write up Rome. Have you left your new P!G out over night in the freezing weather?
Nope, it's tucked away this week.... (See avatar)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude, that's one heck of a long commute

Quick Reply: Heated Windscreen Option-- Review