Need New Tires, any feedback welcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:25 PM
rkanok
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New Tires, any feedback welcome

I just got a non-repairable flat and am in need of new tires

I am considering the Dunlop Sport Maxx and the Continental CrossContact UHP. The dunlop is a Max Performace tire while the Conti is a Street/Sport tire (per Tirerack). I am a spirited driver of my Cayenne GTS and am looking for any recommendations. My experience with the stock Michelin’s Latitude Sport also a Street/Sport tire has been so bad I won't use them again.

thank in advance for the feedback
Robert
Old 12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Mason13
Rennlist Member

I just put on the Cont-DWS and love them.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Bridgestone Dueler Alenza 275/40R20 XL installed 11-21-2010 at Costco. I order them on line and they shipped them to their store for installation (no cost for shipping). The total price was $1128.31, the break down of the cost is 259.99 per tire, 1.00 per tire for disposal fee, tire installation/balance fee 14.00 per tire, state of California fees and taxes 98.35. Their is a $70.00 coupon reduction in price for the months of Nov/Dec. This also inclueds a Costco Road Hazard Failures Warranty, lifetime tire rebalancing/rotation and nitrogen tire inflation. The UTQG rating is 400AA (W) for this tire. They did a great job installing them no damage to the rims or the big red calipers. I have not put any miles on them yet so I will report back later. The ride has been nice and smooth. Bridgestone has a 40,000 mile Warranty on the tire and it is manufactured in the USA. This is just some information to help others in picking their tires for your Cayenne.....

Last edited by C4SJOHN; 12-05-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Conti Dws, very nice tire if you can find them.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You're not the first one to complain about the Michelins. More and more owners are submitting reports of various inadequacies with these tires. A shame that this company, who has built their reputation on quality, has had so many negative remarks against them recently.

You mentioned an '08 GTS so I assume that you're running the factory 21's. If so, you are limited to only a handful of tires that are in the 295/35-21 size.

Factory recommendations as PAG-approved N1/N0 summer tires on the GTS are limited to three choices:
1) Yokohama Advan Sport
2) Michelin Latitude Sport
3) Pirelli PZero Rosso
4) Pirelli PZero
5) Continental Cross Contact UHP

Other tires that will fit your Cayenne but are NOT PAG-approved are limited to one: Dunlop SP Sport Maxx (Audi Q7-approved)

My GTS was equipped with the Yokos. Overall a good tire but typically noisy as are most Japanese tires. I managed to get about 30,000 km on them before the treadwear indicators started to show. This spring, I'm planning on purchasing the Pirelli PZero Rossos as they show a higher treadwear index rating than the Yokos and a better overall performance.

I owned the Conti UHP's in a 20" size on a previously-owned vehicle and albeit their great handling characteristics & minimal noise, I had some issues with permanent flat-spotting.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the Conti DWSs... but mine are 19s.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Conti-DWS ride is smooth and should last a while, we will see...

Sebring this weekend for the Legends of Motorsports, My daughter was able to meet Bobby Rahal.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Several tire threads in the Cayenne forum. A search should return lots of info. I just went from Hankooks (loved 'em) to Yokohama Parada; still evaluating.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 AM
ClanksterGTS
Track Day

Robert,
Since I live where we get a lot of snow, I had to buy another set of tires (winter) for my 08 Cayenne GTS. Went with the Pirelli and have no complaints. Went back in the spring to Discount Tire to put my stock Michelins back on and two of the sidewalls exploded out. Some defect as I was unable to get replacements. Got a credit from Discount as they are tight with Michelin and went with the Pirelli PZero. Personally, I think the Pirelli is a better performance tire all around. I too drive my GTS with some excitement and I found that the Pirelli tire just gripped better and was even quieter as well. Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

The Contis on my 2006 lasted very well. I was disappointed they went to Goodyear on the 2011...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClanksterGTS
Personally, I think the Pirelli is a better performance tire all around. I too drive my GTS with some excitement and I found that the Pirelli tire just gripped better and was even quieter as well.
+1 on Pirellis being definitely stickier and probably an overall better tire. My previous 3 sets were PZeros.

That said, the slight performance differential came at too high a premium, now that the Conti DWSs have a 50K warranty. The DWSs are really good tires in my opinion, and (at least in theory) I'll buy one set vs. probably 3 or 4 sets of the PZeros over the same 50K miles.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 PM
ClanksterGTS
Track Day

This actually leads to another question. I was told by my Porsche dealer that I would need to have two sets of tires for my GTS, one set for winter and one regular set. Does anyone have any suggestions for an overall all season that fits on the 21" wheels"? Checked out the Conti DWSs for my GTS 295/35 R21 and they don't seem to have that size. Too bad as that looks like a fantastic tire. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ClanksterGTS
This actually leads to another question. I was told by my Porsche dealer that I would need to have two sets of tires for my GTS, one set for winter and one regular set. Does anyone have any suggestions for an overall all season that fits on the 21" wheels"? Checked out the Conti DWSs for my GTS 295/35 R21 and they don't seem to have that size. Too bad as that looks like a fantastic tire. Thanks.
Not much out there In that size, have you considered a smaller diameter wheel for the winter?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
ClanksterGTS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Not much out there In that size, have you considered a smaller diameter wheel for the winter?
I will probably go to that when it comes time for a replacing the two sets I have now. However, that will probably be a while. I am only putting around 5K a year on my GTS as I work out of the house and it is used around town or sitting at the airport. And the guys at Discount said it will not hurt the tires to take them on and off so I will have these Pirellis for at least another 2-3 years.

Good feedback all. Thank you.
Chris
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

5K a year?? Can I buy it from you in another 3 years?

Quick Reply: Need New Tires, any feedback welcome