Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Hello Everyone! - A question about the Cayenne's manual tranny (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/604037-hello-everyone-a-question-about-the-cayennes-manual-tranny.html)

TomM99 11-28-2010 11:20 PM

Hello Everyone! - A question about the Cayenne's manual tranny

Hi everyone. I am new to porsche ownership and new to this forum. I just ordered a 2011 Cayenne V6 with manual transmission. As with many of us, I will not see my new vehicle until April or May of next year. One advantage I guess is that I can avoid much of the winter's salt and sand up hear in Canada.

My question for anyone that can help me is what is the good, bad and the ugly with the Porsche manual transmission fitted to the Cayenne? I drove a BMW 5-speed for the past 9 yeas and found the shifting to be absoluely superb. I watched a video of a guy test driving a 2009 Cayenne GTS with manual tranny and he commented that the transmission and shifting was one of the worst he has ever driven. Needless to say I am a little bit concerned about my selection (note that the dealer did not have any manual 2011's for me to test drive).

Can anyone confirm or deny this guy's observations for the Cayenne stick. Has anyone here actually driven the 2011 6-speed? I wonder if the 2011 manaual transmission is all-new for 2011 as the rest of the Cayenne is or if it was carried forward from the previous model. I also wonder if this is a 'Porsche' transmission or a 'VW' transmission (just like the V6 engine block is a Toureg block).

Thanks everyone.

porscheprestige 11-30-2010 02:23 PM

A bad thing about it it could be resell value but if you plan on keeping the car very long time you shouldn't have that problem.

Andy E. 11-30-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by porscheprestige (Post 8096097)
A bad thing about it it could be resell value but if you plan on keeping the car very long time you shouldn't have that problem.

+1. I hope you leased the car.;)

mt-sfo 11-30-2010 03:54 PM

I actually think that the V6 MT Cayenne holds its value better.

before I ordered my '11 w/a manual transmission, I was looking for a used v6 stickshift. because there are so few they actually seemed to be priced slightly higher than the auto v6 models. factor in the $3k savings on the msrp and i think the manual transmission holds its value better.

Depending on the model year approx 80-100 v6 manual transmission cayennes were sold in the US each year from 04-09. I have yet to see a 2010 Cayenne with a manual transmission. I was told that the 2011 V6 Manual Cayenne was being sold in extremely low numbers and that it might not be offered in the future. One dealer told me that only 6 MT Cayennes were allocated for all of North America in 2011. That particular dealer (not where I ordered my Cayenne) did not seem the most reliable so I'd take that number with a grain of salt. In any case the supply of 2011 MT Cayennes will remain low.

not sure how the GTS models with the manual transmission have held their value... I have heard a few GTS owners complain that the 1st gear is too low. interestingly in the old Cayenne models the manual transmission in both the V6 and the GTS have the same gear ratios. The V6 had the manual transmission long before the GTS model came out, so I'm assuming that the gear ratios are optimized for the smaller engine.

I won't get my Cayenne until late March so can't give any first hand driving impressions on the manual transmission yet. I did a short test drive in a 2006 MT V6 last year and the gearbox seemed OK. It did have a vague feel to it but the gear ratios seemed good and the shifts were smooth.

Anyone out there have a manual transmission V6 or GTS that'd care to comment on the transmission feel?

bgsntth 11-30-2010 06:39 PM

If I remember right, the GTS has a lower ratio in first gear and 6th(?), and a unique 4:10 rear axle in comparison to the V6. 70 mph in 6th gear equates to 2950 RPMs. First gear is completed quicker than my first episode of intimacy, and equally enjoyable.

mt-sfo 11-30-2010 08:27 PM

according to the 2009 Cayenne marketing book the gear ratios for the Base and the GTS Manual transmission are identical for all 6 forward gears and for the reverse gear. There is a difference in the "final drive" which is 3.70 in the V6 and 4.10 in the GTS.

honestly I don't really know what any of this means in practical terms.

I think what we really care about is how does it drive?

TomM99 11-30-2010 09:32 PM

The Porsche web site says this about the 2011 V6 Manual Transmission:

The six-speed manual gearbox on the new Cayenne has been specifically adapted for the demands of high-performance use. The gear lever throw is short and precise, and each of the six ratios has been selected for optimal progression through the gears. As the center console rises to meet the dashboard, the gear lever is close at hand—for an even more engaging drive.
The standard upshift indicator in the instrument cluster helps to reduce fuel consumption still further.

I interpret this to mean that the new gear box has been designed by Porsche for the new Cayenne (not a VW special) and most importantly any shortcomings with the previous model's throws and precision have been addressed. Ok, now I really can't wait for my ride to arrive.

mt-sfo 12-10-2010 10:54 PM

apparently the 2011 manual transmission Cayennes are in demand-- in the last month my dealer has been contacted by 5 other dealers who were looking to take over my MT build slot.

Andy E. 12-11-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mt-sfo (Post 8124099)
apparently the 2011 manual transmission Cayennes are in demand-- in the last month my dealer has been contacted by 5 other dealers who were looking to take over my MT build slot.

Probably because they built so few of them and PAG doesn't want to get burned with overstock as was the case with many '09-'10 models.:rolleyes:

Sell your slot while you have a chance to do so w/o being penalized and get yourself the Tip. You won't regret it.;)

Cpa4S 12-11-2010 08:37 PM

i think it is the same tranny used for the Gen 1 & 2 cayennes - that description from the brochure is pretty much the same used in all the books.

anyway, the throws are begging for a short shifter but too small a number for anyone to make one. 2nd to 3rd - 3rd to 4th are nice. down shifts are clean - shifting the GTS is more fun than the Turbo i had

there is a thread on 6th speed showing a guy who swapped the shift for a 996 handle - looked pretty cool.

re-sell - i don't know about that one, but frankly i bought the machine to drive it, not sell it!

85258 12-14-2010 10:24 PM

I don't know if the manual is the same in the 957 vs 958. That said, I just bought an 09 GTS manual. Two biggest draw backs are:
The short gearing, esp 1st and 6th and 4.10 axle ratio
Clutch travel is too long and non linear (wieght and engagement), plus pedal is not erognomic with brake/throttle (travel is too long and I feel that I have be too close to brake/throttle to get clutch to the floor).
The throws are long and wide, but feel is decent with just a little notchiness. That said, I would not trade for a auto trans. Out of the 20 or so cars I have owned in 20 years of driving, I have only owned 2 slushboxes -wifes current Ody van and previous Sienna. I have thought about researching an axle ratio swap to change the final drive ratio (combination of the axle ratio and trans ratio).

Mamut79 12-14-2010 11:44 PM

06 owner here with manual...word of advice: Change fluid to royal purple synchromax , and youll be happy with shifting :)

mt-sfo 12-16-2010 10:03 PM

thanks for the great tip Mamut79. If the '11 manual trannie gives me trouble I'll be sure and give it the royal treatment.

Cpa4S 12-19-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mamut79 (Post 8133709)
06 owner here with manual...word of advice: Change fluid to royal purple synchromax , and youll be happy with shifting :)

can you elaborate

Mamut79 12-19-2010 02:34 PM

Notchy, slow and painful shifting......after RoyalPurple oil change and 200miles of driving-smooth,easy gear changes overall but most distinctive in cold weather.