Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Stalling Problems How do I test the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:21 PM
CayenneKid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne S Stalling Problems How do I test the fuel pump?

Hello im kinda new at this but i have a Cayenne S with 95XXX miles on it and i was on empty the other day and i pumped about 30 dollars of (91) and the truck now sputters and dies i changed the fuel filter. Problem still the same i checked all my Coils none are cracked now the only thing to check is my fuel pump now how do i test it???? maybe by pulling some type of relay???? i need help thanks guys
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default hmmm

You changed the fuel filter?
Care to describe the process?
I think it's not an easy job and probably had you right on top of 1 of the 2 fuel pumps.
Did you have a dealership do it?
They would have the necessary equipment needed to properly check fuel pressure.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 AM
CayenneKid
Intermediate

well its simple just the fuel smell is overwhelming.
the fuel filter is under the rear driver seat u lift up the seat and there will be a faint cut on the carpet and u cut out that piece and there is the top of the fuel filter unplug the connections and just pop out the steal ring and the pull up the fuel filter and unplug a couple of quick connections REMEMBER KEY MUST BE OFF THE THE IGNITION OR ELSE THE SYSTEM IS GONNA PRIME!!!! A BIG NO NO!Connect the new fuel filter and make sure to also order the seal ring because in most cases it wont come with the fuel filter...connect the the new fuel filter and u have to ope the other side behind the passenger seat and fish the line that the NEW FUEL FILTER comes with, i used my sisters antenna from her 2000 pathfinder close everything up and PRIME THE SYSTEM(turn the ignition on and off a couple of times) and turn on the truck
Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 AM
CayenneKid
Intermediate

***FYI*** keep Looking around theres a Topic just for the hole FUEL FILTER CHANGE step by step
Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

You need a fuel pressure gauge if you really want to test the pump (well, pumps as there are two). I forget off the top of my head but IIRC both pumps start the car then after a few seconds it turns one off. Chances are the pump that's supposed to keep running is probably shot.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:24 AM
CayenneKid
Intermediate

Thanks (PTEC)
would it show up on a diagnostic check?
Theres a local shop near my house a Porsche repair Center there charging me 200 to run a full scan is that a good price?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another quickie method is when you turn the ignition on, does it "grind" before turnover a bit more. On the newer peppers it will still be "starting" after you let go of the key. Pump change brings it back to spec....
Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

$200 for a scan? WTF, no thats a terrible price. You need to check the fuel pressure. I'm pretty sure sure the drivers side is the primary pump and thats probably your problem.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...dies-help.html

Scroll down to post #7.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:19 PM
CayenneKid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SKYSTAK
another quickie method is when you turn the ignition on, does it "grind" before turnover a bit more. On the newer peppers it will still be "starting" after you let go of the key. Pump change brings it back to spec....
well my CS is 2003 and no it grinds every now and then because my coolant pipes are starting to leak on my starter, and i get that hated low radiator fluid message!!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:25 PM
CayenneKid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wilfred
this is the post your talking about?
(I would say it is probably the left side fuel pump. The symptoms match. A good way to verify is to pull the relay for the left side pump, if the car runs and does not die, then you have confirmed that the left side pump is bad. The fuel filter is a "lifetime" fuel filter as per porsche. If you want to replace it, it is integral to the right side fuel tank hat, both hats will have to be removed to R&R the left side pump. If it is not the pump, I have seen faulty MAF sensors cause a similar symptom.)

thanks man
you guys are the best!

ima check 2marrow morning to see if its the fuel pump or the MAF SENSORS since the sun went down over here already....

also i was told that this program is pretty good "Durametric Diagnostic" what do u guys think i want to get the "Enthusiast Package" at $287 thats not a bad price.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
CayenneKid
Intermediate

Ok guys i pulled out the relay and truck still dies.... I got a video of the rpm's (idle) droping and jumping and then it dies Anyone Care to See?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Zba
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your left fuel pump. Replace both so you have no worries and call it a day.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If this started when you ran to empty, it could be the check valve which helps keep the system under pressure
Old 10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
CayenneKid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mudman2
If this started when you ran to empty, it could be the check valve which helps keep the system under pressure
yeah that's what i was also thinking i ran it on empty for like one day is that a DIY project because im outta warranty so im trying to save some $$$$

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Stalling Problems How do I test the fuel pump?