Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Stalling Problems How do I test the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:16 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem usually after driving an hour. Never when cold or when tank has been refilled.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 PM
taedison
1st Gear

I have 2004 Cayenne Turbo with 120,000 miles on it. It would start fine, work for 15 -20 seconds than cylinders will start misfiring one at the time until they all quit. After restarting the engine will work fine again for 15-20 seconds and the same process will repeat. Following instructions on this and few other threads, I removed the fuse #14 that controls the primary fuel pump (one on the left) and restarted the engine. Car now works fine and it is fixed temporary.
Once car starts, both fuel pumps suppose start, than after about 15 seconds secondary pump suppose to stop. If primary pump is immobilized (fuse removed) on the start, than computer keeps secondary pump running.
Secondary pump (one on the right) is positioned higher in the fuel tank, so I got make sure that I keep fuel level above 50% (I think that this will be safe level). I am not under pressure to fix the left pump immediately since I can drive the car.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:48 PM
ClayDancer
3rd Gear

Default Sensor makes your car shut off

Originally Posted by Fred Cooke
I just recently joined the ranks as a Porsche owner. I bought an 04 Cayenne S with 21K miles on it.
Last night the car started to stall. I start the engine and about 10 seconds in it shuts off.
I read many post including this one and took a few suggestions.

- Removed the MAF sensor to attempt to change modes.
- I used both hands to pump air pressure into the filter and the car maintained pressure and stay on until I stopped pumping. It then shut off.
- I then replaced the MAF sensors and am still getting same results.

I read that I should remove the fuel pump relay to test the drivers side pump.

Any other suggestions if that doesn't work.

I have a 2012 Cayenne. Stalled 3 times in 2 blocks. Dealer said all sensors showed no problems. When the dealer drove it home, it stalled on him, too. Finally found that the Crankshaft Pulse Sensor needed to be replaced. So far, so good.

When sensors show no problem when there is a problem, it is likely that one of the sensors is bad.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:49 PM
ClayDancer
3rd Gear

I have a 2012 Cayenne. Stalled 3 times in 2 blocks. Dealer said all sensors showed no problems. When the dealer drove it home, it stalled on him, too. Finally found that the Crankshaft Pulse Sensor needed to be replaced. So far, so good.

When sensors show no problem when there is a problem, it is likely that one of the sensors is bad.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi does anyone know if the Toureg pump is the same

Toureg pump left side 50$

Old 07-29-2021, 10:31 PM
GlenC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This touches on my problem that recently appeared.
I was towing my Airstream with the 2008 CayenneS and a day out going from Los Angeles to Iowa, I started smelling gas all the time. Some research indicated possibly a fuel filter, I ordered a fuel filter from Pelican and had it shipped to my destination in Iowa. I replaced the filter and problem gone! I'm happy...
12 days of driving from Iowa visiting National Parks, car was great, no problems. On the 12th day, after filling in Jackson Hole, WY all was good until just outside Heber City, UT (about 240mi) the engine started to just shut down, then go again. We cautiously drove into Heber City and stopped for the night. In the morning, added 12 gal of gas to get to Provo for a planned fuel stop. Car ran just fine, no problems, filled with gas in Provo and determined 1/2 tank was the lowest we could go. On the way from Provo to Cedar City, right at about 1/2 tank the car started to shut down again. Pulled off and added 5gal of gas from generator can..... drove fine into Cedar City for refill, then to St George, then to Las Vegas, then stretching at 1/2 tank, it faltered again. Added 5 gal and drove fine the rest of the way home as long as I didn't get to 1/2 tank.

Cycling the fuel pumps by shutting engine off and pulling fuse, both pumps seem to work to start car. With the Durametric, I can see both pumps are signaled to run at start, then system apparently shuts down pump 2.
The fact that this only seems to happen at 1/2 tank is puzzling unless if the system starts to switch fuel pumps and one is faulty.
Driving test on one pump only will be the next step.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:27 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenC
This touches on my problem that recently appeared.
I was towing my Airstream with the 2008 CayenneS and a day out going from Los Angeles to Iowa, I started smelling gas all the time. Some research indicated possibly a fuel filter, I ordered a fuel filter from Pelican and had it shipped to my destination in Iowa. I replaced the filter and problem gone! I'm happy...
12 days of driving from Iowa visiting National Parks, car was great, no problems. On the 12th day, after filling in Jackson Hole, WY all was good until just outside Heber City, UT (about 240mi) the engine started to just shut down, then go again. We cautiously drove into Heber City and stopped for the night. In the morning, added 12 gal of gas to get to Provo for a planned fuel stop. Car ran just fine, no problems, filled with gas in Provo and determined 1/2 tank was the lowest we could go. On the way from Provo to Cedar City, right at about 1/2 tank the car started to shut down again. Pulled off and added 5gal of gas from generator can..... drove fine into Cedar City for refill, then to St George, then to Las Vegas, then stretching at 1/2 tank, it faltered again. Added 5 gal and drove fine the rest of the way home as long as I didn't get to 1/2 tank.

Cycling the fuel pumps by shutting engine off and pulling fuse, both pumps seem to work to start car. With the Durametric, I can see both pumps are signaled to run at start, then system apparently shuts down pump 2.
The fact that this only seems to happen at 1/2 tank is puzzling unless if the system starts to switch fuel pumps and one is faulty.
Driving test on one pump only will be the next step.
Did you ever get this sorted out? We were driving in 107 degree heat yesterday and about the time the fuel level got down to 1/2 tank, the engine started to falter and stumble. Under load, I couldn't get the engine to rev over 3000. We managed to limp to the nearest town and I filled up the tank. After that, all was fine the remaining 90 miles home. On my Durametric, I am getting code "12A1 Fuel rail sensor pressure sensor inappropriately low value below threshold value" and I have done the fuse test and the car runs fine on either pump.

I wonder if as Don mentioned way back in the thread above whether one or both of the pumps are failing and when the tank gets low, they over heat. Filling the tank clearly helped, so this theory seems like a good one. I have been planning to replace both pumps and filter anyway, so I will probably go ahead and order them, but I would really like to diagnose the specific problem first.

Incidentally, I replaced my HPFP last summer around this time with a brand new Porsche unit. I have scars on my hands from that adventure!

Anyone have and further thoughts on this?
Old 09-02-2022, 03:51 PM
tbo_cruiser
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still trying to diagnose my fuel problem. I haven't gotten the gauge, but I pulled the fuses. When I pull fuse 13, the car starts and runs with no problem. If I pull fuse 14, it starts and runs for about 10 seconds, then stalls. Still with fuse 14 pulled, I restarted the car and it again ran for 10 seconds, then stalled. So is the right side pump bad?

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Stalling Problems How do I test the fuel pump?