Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Trey03
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Reliability

Folk:

I've been a 993 911 owner for some time now. I recently picked up a 996 GT3 that will be seeing the track as much as I can find the time for.

I want to add a daily driver to the garage and i need this vehicle to be able to pull the GT3 and a lightweight open trailer. I've read a lot of posts about the Cayenne's ability to tow. Given i won't be towing more than 1 hr away and it will be at most once a month, I feel like a Cayenne S would do just fine.

I've also considered an X5 4.4, G500 or even a Land Cruiser...

I'm not willing to pony up for a vehicle new enough to be under warranty. Given all of that, my concern is the reliability of a Cayenne. My experience has always been that Porsche's are relatively reliable all things considered. I certainly realize that sticker price can be a good an indicator of repairs costs when they are needed.

Is a '05 or older Cayenne with ~100k miles on the clock going to be a regular at the shop? I would certainly look to find a car with well documented service history.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Trey
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From all the research I did before buying mine they seem to be a fairly reliable vehicle. A couple of known issues that seem pretty simple to take care of.

Unfortunately this forum is full of a few haters that will have nothing but negative to say about them.

I say if you can find one for the right price and are willing to get a few things taken care of then you will probably enjoy it just fine. Great car!!

There is at least one member here with 200k+ on his 04 turbo.

I bought my turbo to tow my other Pcar with and it tows like its not even back there.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:55 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You won't regret buying the Cayenne.

Do your homework first and all will be good.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who has ever borrowed my CS always comes back loving it. The only caveat is that some passengers prefer the big Range Rover -- something I can't argue with especially regarding the back seat.

Many if not most of the posts on any forum are about problems so its not surprising that you will find many here. The Cayenne has a few problems that Porsche should have taken care of instead it looks like they simply managed them.

The Cayenne is a different vehicle bought by different people and used a lot more than a 911 - its often the primary vehicle -- not the fourth. I had trips early on that I would have taken my C - but I had so many problems with the headlights and the windshield wipers I just did not feel comfortable taking the car - then I started to smell coolant - and lets not forget the coils. Porsche did eventually act on my concerns -- but it took too long and required actions on my part that I felt unnecessary.

I think they actually make better used cars where someone else has sorted out the problems. The expectations for a used vehicle are different -- my only open concern with my C going forward is the transmissions longevity ..... and I still don't trust the coils. Find a nice 05 or 06 with a full record of what has been done and I think you will enjoy the car.

Last edited by yeldogt; 09-02-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

Our 2004 Cayenne S has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. It recently rolled 70K miles, and other that routine maintenance and a few known issues, it has been great.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:59 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 215 Posts

Mechanically its been dead reliable other then litebulbs burning out . Had a 04 s then 06 titanium s. When I did tow no problems with an open trailer. I would recommend air suspension. Mike
Old 09-02-2010, 10:18 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

2004 C-TT just about near 200,000 miles yes 200,000 miles.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Trey,

I would recomend a test of either the VW, or Audi, TDI if you are looking to tow. I noticed 3 Touaregs (2 TDI's) and one Q7 TDI at a recent track event in NY. The engines are mostly the same, I think, but two big differences are that the VW is kind of plush and slush, where the Q7 is sportier in both shifting (S-line paddle option) and firmness. Its also bigger and about 20k more. Either way, all the torque you'll need and much better fuel economy. VW's can be had used mid-30's.

Got your PM, thanks. I'm going to call you latter this morning.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tows great!!

Quick Reply: Reliability