Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner Sagging at Rear of Car - how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Easy-Rider
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headliner Sagging at Rear of Car - how to fix?

Hi guys my first post - help!!!
06 Turbo Cayenne - purchased used 6 months ago - out of warranty....but no serious issues - just tires, brakes, etc.. Love my Pepper.......

But now the rear headliner (section from reargate light to sunroom storage area is sagging down about 2-3 inchs all the way across the pig (area is about 3 feet by 2 feet). It is hanging so low that I can't see the rear sonic sensor lights in the rear view mirror. Took it to the local dealer and of course they say "never seen that before". Their fix is to replace the full headliner - didn't want to know the cost of that one so for now I am wanted to see if anyone else's "Pepper" has had this problem - what causes it and if it can be fixed (how?) or if fixing is not workable and it just needs to be replaced..

Would also appreciate it if someone could point me to info on how to remove the headliner so I could at lease inspect it and see if it is the glue, foam failure, loose clips, etc....???
The following users liked this post:
Fuego4~ (10-15-2023)
Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt that this would be covered under factory warranty.

I know that most of the wiring harnesses that operate much of the electrics inside the gate run thru the roof. If an aftermarket rear-view camera was installed, chances are high that the headliner may have been removed and a few clips broken along the way.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

I had some sagging on my headliner near the sunroof controls and the dealer replaced the headliner under warranty. They stated that they have never seen this problem before. Out of warranty now.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Easy-Rider
Track Day

Cool Fixed - Sagging headliner ....

Thanks for the looks and replies.....

Update - spend yesterday morning pulling - prying - pushing on the headliner at the rear liftgate trying to inspect and understand what had happened and why the liner was sagging. So after removing the rear light and sonic display at the rear I could see inside with a flashlight that the liner had come unglued from the fiberglass panel that holds everything in place....dont know why this would happen but it did...

starting researching best headliner spray adhesives and two were recommended for reattaching headliners...
3M - Hi Tack spray adhesive
Permatex Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet adhesive
3M Super Trim (note do not use this one it breaks down the foam undercoat layer)

After calling and visiting several auto part stores found that I could only get the Permatex in Ohio. So using a respirator (a must) I sprayed the adhesive (follow the setting and bonding instruction) through the access hole of the sonic display - started in the center about 2 feet in and worked my way around and back towards the opening....layed on my back and worked the cloth back into place - spent about an 2 hours spraying and positioning the fabric and then holding in place for 8-10 mins each spot..... took my time and the result was very good.....

So for now the headliner is back in place and only cost me 15.99 for the can of adhesive and 2 hours effort....vs a complete removal and replacement of the cloth headliner $1,000+.......

Concern was that there might be staining but there was none.....only big problem was for the rest of the day I could taste and smell the Permatex order - not pleasant.......if anyone attemps this fix - make sure you do the work in a well ventilated area and use the respirator.....

Thats all for now.......thanks to all who read and to the replies.....
Love this "Turbo PIG"
Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 AM
is.deleon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info! i'm having the same problem but can't justify to spend $1300+ thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Good work! So how are your colleagues taking to your showing up at work buzzed in the morning?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

So you are saying one of these wouldn't work for the sagging?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Brit6
Racer

Thanks for the research ideas! I will attempt this in the spring.

Originally Posted by Easy-Rider
Thanks for the looks and replies.....

Update - spend yesterday morning pulling - prying - pushing on the headliner at the rear liftgate trying to inspect and understand what had happened and why the liner was sagging. So after removing the rear light and sonic display at the rear I could see inside with a flashlight that the liner had come unglued from the fiberglass panel that holds everything in place....dont know why this would happen but it did...

starting researching best headliner spray adhesives and two were recommended for reattaching headliners...
3M - Hi Tack spray adhesive
Permatex Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet adhesive
3M Super Trim (note do not use this one it breaks down the foam undercoat layer)

After calling and visiting several auto part stores found that I could only get the Permatex in Ohio. So using a respirator (a must) I sprayed the adhesive (follow the setting and bonding instruction) through the access hole of the sonic display - started in the center about 2 feet in and worked my way around and back towards the opening....layed on my back and worked the cloth back into place - spent about an 2 hours spraying and positioning the fabric and then holding in place for 8-10 mins each spot..... took my time and the result was very good.....

So for now the headliner is back in place and only cost me 15.99 for the can of adhesive and 2 hours effort....vs a complete removal and replacement of the cloth headliner $1,000+.......

Concern was that there might be staining but there was none.....only big problem was for the rest of the day I could taste and smell the Permatex order - not pleasant.......if anyone attemps this fix - make sure you do the work in a well ventilated area and use the respirator.....

Thats all for now.......thanks to all who read and to the replies.....
Love this "Turbo PIG"
Old 07-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Kirk Danielson
Intermediate

Default Liner

Yeah, mine just started to sag in the rear last week. We had some hot weather and I was parked outside for a bit and I ink that may have started it. thanks for the research. I have the leather so I will make sure the spray I use will be compatible.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:51 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

FWIW- I live in sunny Miamibeach and always park my cars outside. You will find the spray adhesive won't last. You are essentially glue something to a heavily oxidized surface that will give. The good news....check around town for upholstery/covertable top/seat cover type shop. Often in the crappy part of town where you find body shops and guys building hot rods. They will remove the headliner and do a full replacement. It's the only real fix. My 2006 CS was $320 and it looks factory.
frederickcook87 (07-12-2023)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:22 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

So how do you remove the rear sonic sensor? Just pry it out?
And what was the " light" that was removed?
So that was all You needed to remove to spray in there? Did the adhesive have a spray tube to get way in there?
Same problem here on my 05 Turbo, from sunroof back, it was 95+ the last week here in Ohio, and that did it i think, plus that area,,since raised up relative to the rest of the roof, has to pull the liner tight to fit up there, so it will be the 1st area to want to come loose with all the tension on it
Old 07-25-2019, 07:51 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

if you did the repair upside-down, it's going to come back and peel-away again. Headliner removal is mandatory.... to be done right.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:49 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

usually because of the old glue on the fabric, regluing does no good, we end up removing the complete headliner with card, removing the old fabric and installing new fabric and carefully gluing with our spray equipment then reinstall, we charge 350 for the whole operation just to give you an idea. Sure beats 850 plus installation for a new one!
Fuego4~ (10-15-2023)
Old 07-30-2019, 12:37 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Dang, I would take mine to your shop in a heartbeat when mine starts sagging. Where are you located, dr914?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I just used
upholstery screw pins upholstery screw pins
. Sure they are visible but it's not something you look at often. It cost me $10.

Quick Reply: Headliner Sagging at Rear of Car - how to fix?