Sponsored by:

2011 Cayenne Front Lic Plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 PM
thrashx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne Front Lic Plate

I'm in Texas and law requires I have a plate upfront. The problem is my new Cayenne does not have pre-drilled holes. What gives? Anyone else in Texas have the dealer install plates?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Today, most dealers give the bracket and hardware to the client to install since most drivers drive them w/o the front plate; even in states or provinces where the law requires it.

If you look at the bottom horizontal front exterior brace (just below the grille opening), you should see two dimples molded into the plastic bumper skin. Drill these two holes with a 1/8" drill bit and use the hardware that came with the bracket to affix.
Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I was told by my dealer that they will install a bracket. (Law requires fronts here unless grantfathered)
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

I was wondering about the front license plate bracket. Am i correct to assume that there is no tow hook in the front. On my Cayman, I avoided drilling the front bumper by using the aftermarket Mower front license plate screwed into the front tow hook, tough the plate is off center. I guess there is no way to avoid drilling the front bumper, in states that require a front license plate.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnetic K
I guess there is no way to avoid drilling the front bumper, in states that require a front license plate.
People are wary of drilling their pride and joy for something as mundane as a license plate; unless of course it's a German tuner license plate!

Worse case scenario, if the car gets sold to another state where front plates don't exist, you can always use bumper plugs custom-made by these guys to cover up those unsightly bracket holes. http://www.bumperplugs.com/
Old 08-02-2010, 02:56 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

It is unlikely that you will get pulled over for no front plate. If you are speeding and get pulled over, then you can count on the plate violation being added. If you are in the Plano area, then do the plate as I have heard they are writing for everything possible.

A friend recently got nailed for expired inspection sticker at a fine of $120.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
is.deleon
Track Day

Originally Posted by Scott C
It is unlikely that you will get pulled over for no front plate.
I beg to differ... I just got pulled over twice within 7 miles apart this past Thursday (before and after Corpus Christi, going from Houston to Brownsville...). I do have the front licence plate on my 05 CTT, but it must have fallen off or got stolen. I was not speeding, and the first police officer just told me to get the front plates, the second one gave me a written warning in case i was stopped again (they were both cool about it)... I got a new licence plate installed on Friday

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Front Lic Plate