Sponsored by:

Tiptronic service question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 PM
jr1966
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic service question

I just bought an '05 CTT from NoCal and had it shipped to my location. It should arrive today at the port. It has 72k miles. I have several stuff in line to do once it arrives, like oil change, air filter change, etc.

From reading stuff here, I learned that the transmission is sealed and recommended fluid change is at 160k miles, unless the vehicle does towing and of-roading work. Since we do not have any Porsche dealers in my area, I have to rely on my indy (who does all Porsches in where I live) and his advice is to do a tranny service, like changing the oil and filter, just to be on the safe side. His argument is that we have very hot and humid climate here and seeing at a lot of automatic BMWs that had suffered premature failure here, he highly recommends to do it.

My question is, since it is at 72k miles and I would assume mostly highway and suburban miles, should I do a full tranny service like changing the oil and filter? Is there a risk in opening up a sealed transmission? Or would draining what can be drained and fill it up with fresh oil be good enough?

Please consider that the CTT would be driven only 3k-4k miles in a year. Given the 5 estimated years I may have this vehicle, that is just 15k-20k miles. I don't see it reaching 100k miles in my hands.

Thanks for any opinions on this matter.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

If it is not broke, then don't fix it. Alot of times, when you open and mess with things it makes it worse. I would just leave it.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 AM
jr1966
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about just draining the old oil and filling it with fresh oil without opening it, even though it won't be a 100% change of transmission oil?

Quick Reply: Tiptronic service question