Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Retrofitting bi-xenon headlights to 2005 Cayenne (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/575571-retrofitting-bi-xenon-headlights-to-2005-cayenne.html)

Rivva 06-22-2010 11:50 AM

Retrofitting bi-xenon headlights to 2005 Cayenne

Hi, great forum and full of excellent advice!

I've recently purchased a 2005 Cayenne S with standard halogen headlights. I managed to buy a pair of bi-xenon headlights (the full headlight from a car with the bi-xenon lights as standard) and tried fitting these today. They fit ok but the main xenon beam does not work nor do the sidelights. Instead, when I turn the car on the two indicators illuminate and dash gives several bulb error messages. I think the pins may be differently located on the bi-xenon set up compared with the halogen standard lights. Has anyone successfully changed from halogen to OEM Porsche bi-xenons without too much hassle? Can I alter the pins on the connectors or buy a new connector from a dealership. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

ltc 06-22-2010 12:14 PM

Welcome to the P!g Pen.

Are you sitting down? Are you allergic to shellfish? I'm afraid I have some bad news...The Cayenne is not like the Carrera/Boxster when it comes to headlight upgrading.

Veteran forum member (and early Cayenne survivor) 'Toby Pennycuff' bravely went where no man had gone before and tried this...

I would suggest sending him a PM or searching the forum for his posts (which can also be viewed to as a last will and testament).

Toby Pennycuff 06-23-2010 11:05 PM

As the Grand Chest Master noted above, if you will do a search on the forums, you will find an exhausting treatise on this specific subject. The quick-books version? Don't even attempt it.

Rivva 06-24-2010 06:53 AM

Is there really no easy way of getting the be-xenons to work? As things stand, it looks as if I buy a wiring loom running from the dashboard to the lights themselves from a car with xenons then they might work....am I being naive?!?

Toby Pennycuff 06-24-2010 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rivva (Post 7683106)
Is there really no easy way of getting the be-xenons to work?

In a word, no.

Originally Posted by Rivva (Post 7683106)
As things stand, it looks as if I buy a wiring loom running from the dashboard to the lights themselves from a car with xenons then they might work....am I being naive?!?

BTDT. Unfortunately, it's not just the wiring harness. Again, if you search this forum, you will find several detailed posts. In the end, the control modules and CAN-Bus will defeat your attempts.

Sorry.

Mamut79 10-15-2010 04:45 PM

Ill disagree....just rewired my headlamps to work with my 06 cayenne. awaiting ballasts to complete setup.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoid=106818927

sorry no sound, MOV lost it somewhere....basically it youll see city lights are working, hazards lights, both blinkers and high beam with shutter. Look in the projector and youll see a shade moving which is generated by the shutter itself.

I will rewire your headlamps for a fee ofcourse. I will also try to harness used lamps, rewire them and sell them as plug and play , either with or without xenon bulb and ballast. You'd have to purchase bulb and ballasts on your own.

ltc 10-15-2010 06:52 PM

Most impressive young Skywalker ...

cordsig79 10-17-2010 08:38 PM

um if this works.....I would like to sign up.......very serious.

ltc 10-18-2010 08:08 AM

Cornering lamps working ?

Self leveling ?

In vehicle bulb diagnostics ?

Just curious.

Mamut79 10-18-2010 03:51 PM

Self leveling, not possible to make it work due to extra other computers/sensors integrated throughout vehicle. Cornering lamp: did a research, many people say it doesnt produce much light , so i just skipped that. I was thinking about making it work with high beams for extra power at night. It uses h3 55w bulb , just like any typical fog lamp . Still thinking about it. So far nothing is coming up on the dash . When my ballasts finally come in, Ill post the final test.

cordsig79 10-18-2010 04:20 PM

Well I am used to just being able to run regular lights and brights so no loss here for not having cornering lamps.

I just want workable lights for driving and highbeams.

.......LTC, if this works, how can we be assured Mamut79s power will not be used for evil purposes........

Mamut79 10-18-2010 04:23 PM

hehe, dont worry , i will not turn to the Dark Empire :P

cordsig79 10-18-2010 04:25 PM

Its not that bad......I was thinking of how I will look on halloween rolling around in a full storm trooper outfit in the P!G.

ltc 10-18-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mamut79 (Post 7983373)
Self leveling, not possible to make it work due to extra other computers/sensors integrated throughout vehicle. Cornering lamp: did a research, many people say it doesnt produce much light , so i just skipped that..

Thanks, that's what I thought.

ltc 10-18-2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mamut79 (Post 7983473)
hehe, dont worry , i will not turn to the Dark Empire :P

You own a P!g, it's too late. :evilgrin: