Cayenne Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
Here's a quicktime file zipped with a 10 sec clip...am I going crazy that this doesn't sound right?!
Mine sounds the same way..... Get thyself to the dealer and have them borescope the cylinders.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott C
Mine sounds the same way..... Get thyself to the dealer and have them borescope the cylinders.
Hmmm yeah, dealer kept it for a couple days. I literally stood there with the tech when it was cold and listened to it. I can hear it clearly (obviously I recorded sound close to where it was coming)...he said he couldn't really hear anything abnormal?! It goes away when engine is hot and he gave me a "this is one of the best running ones I've seen". Ummm, yeah, no. He told me if anything, it's most likely a lifter as those are the only problems he's seen.

Wasn't really worth arguing about given that I have 11 months of warranty and my intent was to have it clearly documented on service receipt and sound recorded/delivered to servicing dealer.

Ironically, he also couldn't smell the very clear burning smell when we drove around together for 20 min.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

The new short block is going back in right now..... Luckily covered by CPO.

Also, the engine had cylinder scoring on cylinders number 2,3,5 & 6

Hard to believe this is a 73k mile engine.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:18 PM
wirunner
Pro

The new short block is going back in right now..... Luckily covered by CPO.

Also, the engine had cylinder scoring on cylinders number 2,3,5 & 6

Hard to believe this is a 73k mile engine.
Sent you a PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Dang Scott.

Has anyone come up with a reason for the scoring?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeanR
Dang Scott.

Has anyone come up with a reason for the scoring?
From what I'm told, there is a coating on the pistons that, over time, transfers to the cylinder walls. The rings wipe this stuff up/down the cylinder walls and scores the cylinder.

The symptom is a knocking that sounds like piston slap.

LUCKILY I got this into the shop two weeks before the CPO warranty expired.

The shop manager did not believe me when i told him about piston slap. Luckily, he went to a tech training a few weeks ago and found out that this is a common problem. It is more prevalent in northern states.

Porsche is aware of the problem and warrantied me with a short block.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Any idea what years are affected? I do not want to pick up one that will have this problem.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 PM
wirunner
Pro

If you're like me and also experiencing the knocking, does anyone know of a good way to test? I could not initially get dealer to do anything but after some researching looks like boroscoping and compression tests are possible. Anyone have any idea how to convince dealer to do this? I have a funny feeling they would charge a lot to do this if they don't feel like it, even if under warranty.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:23 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeanR
Any idea what years are affected? I do not want to pick up one that will have this problem.
Cars from colder climates appear to be more susceptible to this issue. I believe most of the issues have been seen in the 2003-2006 (4.5L engines).

If you are looking for a Cayenne, I know of one with a new engine that may be for sale soon..... I'll make you a smokin' deal

Originally Posted by wirunner
If you're like me and also experiencing the knocking, does anyone know of a good way to test? I could not initially get dealer to do anything but after some researching looks like boroscoping and compression tests are possible. Anyone have any idea how to convince dealer to do this? I have a funny feeling they would charge a lot to do this if they don't feel like it, even if under warranty.
I would find another dealer that has experience (and is willing) to scope the engine. It doesn't take much time as all they need to do is pull the plugs and take a look.

If they are unwilling to do something this simple, another dealer may enjoy the work.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:24 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got my truck back. It runs and feels like new.

The short block replacement with associated parts and labor ran ~$14k.... Luckily it was covered under CPO.

The original engine had four scored cylinders.... Something to think about for you '03-'06 4.5L owners
Old 04-21-2011, 02:59 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats great news !!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
Thats great news !!
I'm fortunate that I have a great dealer with Boardwalk Porsche in Plano, TX. They work very hard to make sure issues are closed and are great guys.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:09 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All - I'm embarking on a diagnosis with a '04 CTT, 54.8k miles, loud knocking, CEL, low compression.

History, car was running rough, check engine light came on. Figure it was coil packs, and codes thrown said 1,4 and 8 were misfiring. Decided to just replace all of them at that time. Fired the car up and still misfiring on cylinder 4, they swapped coil packs, cleaned spark plugs, no change. Ran a compression test and it showed 25lbs on cylinder 4 vs 89lbs for cylinder 3. It's at the dealership, and I'm awaiting their initial verdict. To say I'm nervous is an understatement, as the CPO ran up a year ago. I am just hopeful that given the cars service history, I purchased CPO'd with 38k (yes that means i put 17k miles on the car in 3 yrs) they help out.

Perhaps my history with VW/Audi/Porsche will also help? While I own two Porsche's now, my history with VW/Audi/Porsche goes back to my first car (VW '87 Scirroco 16v), later had a '04 s4 CPOd, '04 Touareg CPOd, '04 Cayenne CPOd, and now new to me '02 996).

I don't have much information to offer the board yet, I've mainly been reading as much as I can about these issues to understand what my issue may be.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got my truck back. It runs and feels like new.

The short block replacement with associated parts and labor ran ~$14k.... Luckily it was covered under CPO.

The original engine had four scored cylinders.... Something to think about for you '03-'06 4.5L owners
Congrats!

My engine's been fine, my issues are all transmission related.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:29 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s4treg
All - I'm embarking on a diagnosis with a '04 CTT, 54.8k miles, loud knocking, CEL, low compression.

History, car was running rough, check engine light came on. Figure it was coil packs, and codes thrown said 1,4 and 8 were misfiring. Decided to just replace all of them at that time. Fired the car up and still misfiring on cylinder 4, they swapped coil packs, cleaned spark plugs, no change. Ran a compression test and it showed 25lbs on cylinder 4 vs 89lbs for cylinder 3. It's at the dealership, and I'm awaiting their initial verdict. To say I'm nervous is an understatement, as the CPO ran up a year ago. I am just hopeful that given the cars service history, I purchased CPO'd with 38k (yes that means i put 17k miles on the car in 3 yrs) they help out.

Perhaps my history with VW/Audi/Porsche will also help? While I own two Porsche's now, my history with VW/Audi/Porsche goes back to my first car (VW '87 Scirroco 16v), later had a '04 s4 CPOd, '04 Touareg CPOd, '04 Cayenne CPOd, and now new to me '02 996).

I don't have much information to offer the board yet, I've mainly been reading as much as I can about these issues to understand what my issue may be.
Keep us posted. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Replacement