Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Pig starts runs a bit, sputters and dies... HELP! (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/549404-pig-starts-runs-a-bit-sputters-and-dies-help.html)

littlejt1 02-07-2010 02:50 PM

Pig starts runs a bit, sputters and dies... HELP!

Symptoms are pretty much as above. Was running fine, parked at the airport last week, drove home fine Thursday night, ran fine Friday. On the way home from the game last night I stopped to grab a drink, left the lady in the car with it running, came back and it was not. Re-started, seemed OK, got ready to pull out and it sputtered and died. Finally made it home. Have started it in the driveway a few times this morning...starts fine, runs a bit smooth, then drops to low idle and sputters and dies. Will restart every time so far... ?????

I ran my code reader and it's showing no codes, so I'm at a loss.
Any help would be great.

Dennis C 02-07-2010 03:06 PM

Bad fuel maybe? I've had this issue on other vehicles. Eventually it will throw a CEL for misfires...

When yours runs, does it always run smoothly before it dies?

littlejt1 02-07-2010 03:24 PM

Yep.. just started it and tried to drive around the block... runs fine when you give it gas and it smooths out. once you come to a stop and get ready to take off it sputters, dies. Restarts easy then repeats.

littlejt1 02-07-2010 03:25 PM

I'm afraid to really drive it anywhere...but part of me wants to get a fresh tank of fuel.

ltc 02-07-2010 03:46 PM

If Pops were here, she would say 'fuel pump'...IIRC, this problem has been discussed before by a few other members here in the P!g Pen...

Search some of EnigmaWmn's threads and you should come across it...or send a PM to Porsche52...I'm sure he's come across it a few dozen times by now.

Red1 02-07-2010 05:31 PM

Jeff,

Answer your GD phone.

Change your fuel filter and call me.

B

porsche52 02-08-2010 12:27 PM

I would say it is probably the left side fuel pump. The symptoms match. A good way to verify is to pull the relay for the left side pump, if the car runs and does not die, then you have confirmed that the left side pump is bad. The fuel filter is a "lifetime" fuel filter as per porsche. If you want to replace it, it is integral to the right side fuel tank hat, both hats will have to be removed to R&R the left side pump. If it is not the pump, I have seen faulty MAF sensors cause a similar symptom.

INURGRL951 02-12-2010 03:28 PM

I am leaning to the MAF bring your problem. When you start it is it idling at the right rpm or is it alittle higher then normal?

STRICTLYPRO 01-18-2012 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by porsche52 (Post 7293958)
I would say it is probably the left side fuel pump. The symptoms match. A good way to verify is to pull the relay for the left side pump, if the car runs and does not die, then you have confirmed that the left side pump is bad. The fuel filter is a "lifetime" fuel filter as per porsche. If you want to replace it, it is integral to the right side fuel tank hat, both hats will have to be removed to R&R the left side pump. If it is not the pump, I have seen faulty MAF sensors cause a similar symptom.

I have this issue. The fuel presure drops and the car dies. Where are there relays you are talking about? Where is the best place to get the pump after i verify whitch one it is?
Richard

STRICTLYPRO 01-18-2012 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by porsche52 (Post 7293958)

Been looking around and found when I remove relay 1/6 the car will stay running. Anyone know what pump is bad? And how bad will it be to change?

cordsig79 01-18-2012 07:27 PM

Richard, PM him..........your number still could be trolled............and put up on some nefarious CL ads or 4chan.

Nana's_914 01-19-2012 08:40 AM

Seems like you are right on schedule for a new primary fuel pump (driver's or left side). I just replaced mine. I opted to change my fuel filter too, since it has check valves built into it that can fail and it was only $70. Changing the pump was easy enough once I knew where everything was. Hardest part was removing the seat brackets that cover the pump access covers. You need to get a M10 triple square or serrated wrench. The one I found at Napa was a POS and I had to get another one half way through the job, because the first one broke after removing the first few bolts. Once I got both brackets loose and flipped out of the way I cut the carpet circles loose with a razor along the perforations. Under the access covers there is another obstacle; to get into the tank requires a special tool. I decided I didn't need it, I used a hammer and screw driver to loosen the filter and regulator retainers. Worked fine. The electrical connections on the filter and regulators were a little tricky to get off, but easy enough with a small angled pick. Once in the tank I noticed that I had too much fuel in the tank to comfortably work in the tank. I rigged up a transfer pump using an old carter fuel pump and transferred the gas to my other vehicle. You need to route fuel lines from one side to the other, getting all the gas out helps make the job more pleasant. I used some string with slip knots to help get the lines back and forth. The fuel pump housing is a snap to remove and reinstall...right tight,left loose. Watch the hose routing near the fuel level sensor so the float doesn't hang up.

seankrider 01-19-2012 10:19 PM

If you haven't resolved this yet, I will attest that one of these threads says exactly which fuse you can pull to disable the likely suspect (left?) pump. If you pull the fuse (and disable the pump) and the car runs fine, you've found the cause. Off the cuff, something like 14, 15, 16 on the left sounds right...

ltc 01-20-2012 10:14 AM

FWIW, Porsche52 (our P!g trauma surgeon and grief counselor) hasn't been active on RL for quite some time :crying:

STRICTLYPRO 01-20-2012 04:17 PM

I got the pump,did the install with no issues. Thank you all for the advice on getting my problem solved. The total cost under $300 cant beat that!! Thanks again.