Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(More) Towing Hitch Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:22 AM
scxtasy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (More) Towing Hitch Questions...

So, my local Porsche dealership wants approximately $1800 to supply and fit a trailer hitch to my CTT. Looking around the Pelican and Rennlist forums this seems to be consistent with other dealers, but to me it seems excessive for something so simple. Right now I think I have three options:

1) Pony up the $1800 and 'get it done right'.
2) Pay approximately $1100 for the towing hitch kit (which I believe consists of the hitch, control unit to talk to the CTT computer, drive the lights etc. and the wiring back as far as the hitch itself), do the install myself and have Porsche enable the control unit with their PIWIS system.
3) Pay $153.47 on ebay for a curt trailer hitch (http://www.curtmfg.com/), buy the control unit, wiring etc. from Porsche, install it myself and have Porsche enable the control unit with their PIWIS system.

So, a few questions for everyone:
1) Anyone done this before and have a recommendation?
2) Anyone know exactly what the towing hitch kit consists of?
3) Anyone know what the part numbers might be for everything except for the hitch itself? (a side note here - does anyone know if there is a parts catalog available anywhere for the Cayenne as this would be a huge help).
4) Any idea what Porsche will charge to enable the control unit?

I'm likely to try and go down the option 3 path in any case and will post photos/description of the process to make this easier for others in the future. Thanks.

Andrew
Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

see my gallery, thats what I did
Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Have the Porsche dealership do it. Having been hit hard in the rear within the last month I have had the chance to one, see the car disassembled and it does take some work to get the bumper etc off to get to the hitch assembly. If they do it and break a clip etc they will fix it and down the road (no pun) should you have an incident such as we did there will be less of a hassle to get it di=fixed as it was all "Porsche installed etc." Plus they will check out the wiring and coding.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its really not that hard, the hardest part in fact is removing the taillight cluster, its a 1 man job if you take your time
Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you splice into the wiring? I have done the hitch install but have not yet done the lights. I do not currently tow anything but wanted the hitch for my bike rack. I would like to have it wired just in case. Do you have any photos on this procedure?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the next post. Thanks.

Quick Reply: (More) Towing Hitch Questions...