Sponsored by:

Installing mobridge - any tips/gotchyas

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing mobridge - any tips/gotchyas

Going to be installing mobridge ipod and bluetooth this weekend into the 06 p!g. Searched the forum and found mudmans pictures on the ipod installation but didn't see many other tips or watch-outs. Is it pretty easy? Anything anyone recommends to watch out for?

One question off the bat: Does CDC need to be coded off at the dealer? Or left on? Found contradictory answers between here and renntech and the installation instructions from cartronics doesn't make note of it.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 03:43 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by wirunner
Going to be installing mobridge ipod and bluetooth this weekend into the 06 p!g. Searched the forum and found mudmans pictures on the ipod installation but didn't see many other tips or watch-outs. Is it pretty easy? Anything anyone recommends to watch out for?

One question off the bat: Does CDC need to be coded off at the dealer? Or left on? Found contradictory answers between here and renntech and the installation instructions from cartronics doesn't make note of it.

Thanks
I completed the installation and it was very easy and quick (maybe an hour or so). Here's some tips/thoughts:

- You do not need to remove all the rear compartment trip to unplug the fiber optics to the CDC and install the bypass. Just use your hand and feel around for the plug in the back left corner. It is just a typical plug with a tab release and comes out easily. Then you can snap the bypass on no prob. Whole CDC bypass took less than 5 minutes with no trim removal.

- It appears no coding changes are required if you already had a CDC. Everything works perfect as described and no errors received. I do get the "do you wish to use airplane mode" when I first plug in my iPhone but it disappears after about 20 seconds and all the CD tracks appear.

Hardest part was feeding the MOST cables safely up to the head unit. All in all, I'd highly recommend this product. Additionally, I was able to utilize the aux input to link an aftermarket sirius satellite directly vs fm modulation - much, much better quality.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you post a pic of where you put the bypass. Does the bypass switch eliminate the cd error?
Old 11-22-2009, 07:14 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

not on yours Kevin, ned to get the cdc turned off using PIWIS, my dealer cant figure out how to do it but others have had it done
Old 11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Can you post a pic of where you put the bypass. Does the bypass switch eliminate the cd error?
Again, no need to remove anything - just reach behind and unplug. I still don't understand mudmans comment that you need to code cdc off. Theoretically it doesn't make sense to me since the point of mobridge is it simulates a CDC and by installing this bypass the only CDC in loop is the mobridge unit. Maybe I am misunderstanding. I get no errors other than when my ipod is not plugged in - says no changer - but it still lets me use disc 6 which is my satellite radio.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 PM
georget
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Again, no need to remove anything - just reach behind and unplug. I still don't under

There's a plug I was able to disconnect in back of the changer but it points downwards, Is this the right one?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:28 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by georget
There's a plug I was able to disconnect in back of the changer but it points downwards, Is this the right one?
The MOST cables are two orange ones - you can see them coming into the changer if you look close. The plug into the changer is in the back left corner (side towards front of car). Its a simple tab release. There will be a red light coming out of one of the wires. Just be careful not to bend these wires sharply as they're fiber optics. If I remember correctly, the tab (since you can't see only feel with your fingers) is on the far left side of the plug too (side closest to front of vehicle but still on back of changer). Push it in - then pull whole plug out.

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2009, 05:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

04 is the difference, both Kevin and I have them, we get an error on the pcm when we start which can only be stopped using PIWIS
Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct, and my dealer couldn't turn the error off when the CDC was not plugged in. It seems you have to wire back to the CDC being active, then shut it off with the PIWIS, then plug mobridge back in. To much hassle I'll just deal with the error.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Thats more information than I could from my dealer, I gave up and accept the message everytime.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
Thats more information than I could from my dealer, I gave up and accept the message everytime.
Just FYI. '06 **** still gets the CDC error not limited to '04's. Haven't asked the dealer to do squat so that they can continue to blame any electrical gremlins on the mObridge!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by MadFox
Just FYI. '06 **** still gets the CDC error not limited to '04's. Haven't asked the dealer to do squat so that they can continue to blame any electrical gremlins on the mObridge!
What does the error say? I do get an error in the PCM that says missing cd changer or something like that. I originally thought it was just the timing of when I plug in the ipod but seems to do it everytime. Once I click okay, everything works fine.

Is this the same error? Does coding the CDC off actually turn the changer unit off but not the functionality in the headunit so that the mobridge will still work?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

On my 2006 turbo, I had no errors even with the cdc connected until I updated the mobridge software. So, put the bypass in/took the cdc out of the loop (no trim removal necessary as above), but still go the occasional error message that needed to be accepted, then got the error message all the time on start up that needed to be accepted. Not a big deal but a little pain. My mechanic/dealer hooked up the piwis when I mentioned it (when picking up parts for my 993tt) and he shut it off. Said the cdc was not hooked up/installed initially according the the Piwis? took about 45 secs litterally, didn't charge me anything. No more messages!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
On my 2006 turbo, I had no errors even with the cdc connected until I updated the mobridge software. So, put the bypass in/took the cdc out of the loop (no trim removal necessary as above), but still go the occasional error message that needed to be accepted, then got the error message all the time on start up that needed to be accepted. Not a big deal but a little pain. My mechanic/dealer hooked up the piwis when I mentioned it (when picking up parts for my 993tt) and he shut it off. Said the cdc was not hooked up/installed initially according the the Piwis? took about 45 secs litterally, didn't charge me anything. No more messages!
Hmmm, I'll try that on my next visit to the dealer (should be soon since everything breaks). Hopefully they won't think I'm an alien from outer space as soon as I mention mobridge, cdc errors, etc...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Ditto the same error

Quick Reply: Installing mobridge - any tips/gotchyas