Sponsored by:

Installing mobridge - any tips/gotchyas

Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

This a little crazy, because today I had two customers come in with this complaint, "CD changer not available error". They both had the mobridge IPOD and phone systems. Until today I have never had to deal with this complaint in conjunction with the mobridge system. After some phone calls and some fartin around with the PIWIS tester we found a fix. On both cars the CD changer fiber optic jumper was installed but the electrical plug was still plugged in. Unplugged the electrical connectors on both cars. Using the PIWIS, go into PCM, PCM MMI, Actual control unit list, re-code control unit list. The list was as follows,
Original coding
*PCM Gateway
*PCM MMI
*Phone
*CD changer
* External Amplifier
* Navigation

New Coding
*PCM Gatway
*PCM MMI
*Phone
*External Amplifier
*Navigation

After removing "CD changer" and moving everything up the list, back out 1 screen. The actual and required list are now unequal, but there is now way around this. Dis-connect PIWIS, lock car, allow car to sit for approx 10-15 min. Unlock, test, no warnings present, all functions work, FM, AM, IPOD, NAV etc. Before doing this, I had done alot of things with no luck, the first time I changed the coding and did not lock the car, I had no sound on FM and AM, IPOD worked, NAV worked, but no radio, it was very strange. Both cars as of now are fixed, no warnings.

Last edited by porsche52; 11-25-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:14 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank for the detail, I will show it to my dealer who are useless with PIWIS. The last time they tried I ended up with no amp hahaha
Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
This a little crazy, because today I had two customers come in with this complaint, "CD changer not available error". They both had the mobridge IPOD and phone systems. Until today I have never had to deal with this complaint in conjunction with the mobridge system. After some phone calls and some fartin around with the PIWIS tester we found a fix. On both cars the CD changer fiber optic jumper was installed but the electrical plug was still plugged in. Unplugged the electrical connectors on both cars. Using the PIWIS, go into PCM, PCM MMI, Actual control unit list, re-code control unit list. The list was as follows,
Original coding
*PCM Gatway
*PCM MMI
*Phone
*CD changer
* External Amplifier
* Navigation

New Coding
*PCM Gatway
*PCM MMI
*Phone
*External Amplifier
*Navigation

After removing "CD changer" and moving everything up the list, back out 1 screen. The actual and required list are now unequal, but there is now way around this. Dis-connect PIWIS, lock car, allow car to sit for approx 10-15 min. Unlock, test, no warnings present, all functions work, FM, AM, IPOD, NAV etc. Before doing this, I had done alot of things with no luck, the first time I changed the coding and did not lock the car, I had no sound on FM and AM, IPOD worked, NAV worked, but no radio, it was very strange. Both cars as of now are fixed, no warnings.
Nicely done!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Thank for the detail, I will show it to my dealer who are useless with PIWIS. The last time they tried I ended up with no amp hahaha
Just a little more info for ya.
* On both cars, (06 Turbo, and 06 Turbo S) it took twice as long for the PIWIS tester to communicate with the PCM than it usally does. I would bring this up with the dealer personel so they remain calm and don't give up and say its all f-up, good luck.
* The control unit list above may not match your cars control unit list. The control list is based on how your vehicle is equipped, NAV, SAT, CD, Phone etc.
* It is key that you move the control units up the list. For example you would not want to do this
*PCM Gateway
*PCM MMI
*Phone
*Not coded (was CD Changer)
*External Amp
*Navagation

We called Mobridge and they were a little helpfull too.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsche52
Just a little more info for ya.
* On both cars, (06 Turbo, and 06 Turbo S) it took twice as long for the PIWIS tester to communicate with the PCM than it usally does. I would bring this up with the dealer personel so they remain calm and don't give up and say its all f-up, good luck.
* The control unit list above may not match your cars control unit list. The control list is based on how your vehicle is equipped, NAV, SAT, CD, Phone etc.
* It is key that you move the control units up the list. For example you would not want to do this
*PCM Gateway
*PCM MMI
*Phone
*Not coded (was CD Changer)
*External Amp
*Navagation

We called Mobridge and they were a little helpfull too.
So I brought your two posts to the dealer yesterday to see if they would try while the car was there for other things. First, I got a lecture that if I wanted an iPod I should have bought an 09 and that non-Porsche approved things should never be installed (although they didn't seem to mind putting on non-n rated tires- whatever).

Long story shorter, service adv said they "couldn't figure it out" but when I picked it up I had no more errors. I thought great, they must have turned the CDC off. Worked great all night. This morning (next day), no sound from radio!? Any thoughts if they could have mis-coded something? Or possibly new problem with coincidental timing?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats EXACTLY what happened to me, the jerks played around with it and turned the amp off

They know what they did, it took then 20 minutes to turn it back on
Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
wirunner
Pro

Thats EXACTLY what happened to me, the jerks played around with it and turned the amp off

Couple hours later it works again. I think I may be having the infamous no sound problem. Oh well, I love going problem to problem in my P!g. There really needs to be a formal grief counselor for P!g ownership.

Last edited by wirunner; 12-08-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
ed.w
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before i use PIWIS, do i need to make the whole MOST network as original ? Since i've already put a bypass ring to the CDC socket...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM
wirunner
Pro

Update to the never ending "how to install a mObridge" thread: This morning while searching for a pair of long lost gloves, I noticed that my dealer had unplugged the CDC loop (see my pictures on the first page of this thread) I installed.

Since my mObridge works perfectly (no errors, warnings, etc), I can only assume that the only thing required for cars equipped with CDC is to have the dealer code it off with piwis.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 AM
ed.w
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wirunner
Update to the never ending "how to install a mObridge" thread: This morning while searching for a pair of long lost gloves, I noticed that my dealer had unplugged the CDC loop (see my pictures on the first page of this thread) I installed.

Since my mObridge works perfectly (no errors, warnings, etc), I can only assume that the only thing required for cars equipped with CDC is to have the dealer code it off with piwis.
Hi wirunner, do u mean the Socket which originally plugged to the CDC has nothing attached on it now but works perfectly ?

If so, i'll try it tonight.....
Old 04-21-2014, 01:03 AM
thedon
5th Gear

So, I guess I'm really late to this party BUT can anyone guide me with some direction in installing the ABT2010? I do not know where to run the orange wires that seem to re route something. Wire ends just dont seem to fit right. I also dont have the loop that you all refer too. You guys have me worried about installing this with all those codes but if someone has a write up or knows of a link I would appreciate it tremendously.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't get any errors on a '06 CTTS with Mobridge but mine may be different for two reasons. I do have the old Analog Mobridge I believe. And I pulled the CDC out and installed the Mobridge in place of the CDC using the CDC Most cables and tapped into the CDC power wire. I did have to run the microphone (had like a 6' length) under the headliner and around the Panoramic sunroof all the way to the front and installed it in the overhead sunroof control panel, works good. I installed it around 3 years ago.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:00 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

I am going to have my dealer code off the CDC today. There really seems to be no way around it.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I finally took my car into the local dealer here a couple of weeks ago and they weren't able to sort anything out even using Porsche52's writeup. They didn't charge me of course.

I went back again and this time I worked with the Lead Tech and we were able to recode the list per above. No more errors, and the mObridge works with my phone, but I get a "No CD Changer" message when I press the CD button. This is not an error, more of a statement. No bluetooth music streaming. Thankfully, even though it took an hour, they didn't charge me anything. The service manager said, "Hey, we didn't get it to work for you...ect..." Even though they coded out the CDC for no errors...

Any thoughts? I updated the firmware last night with no luck. As this is strictly bluetooth, there is no Aux-in or iPod cable.

Mudman, any ideas?

Thanks,
TomF
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

An update- now apparently my Sat radio doesn't work. Somehow it got disabled...

I am totally ready to find another solution- this is getting ridiculous!

Any thoughts or ideas?

Best,
Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing mobridge - any tips/gotchyas