Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
No 2007 Cayenne in US market....
He knows that, LTC was just being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by pcst
My CS was built in 10/2006, do you think it has the cheapo plastic pipes?
I'd bet $$$... yes
Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When diagnosing the 2007 and earlier 9PA's with the dreaded valley coolant pipe leakage keep an eye on the transmission bell housing area where it connects to the Engine, this is where you will most likely see the coolant leakage. Please note: Do not let this leak persist because it will ruin your automatic transmission torque convertor seal and that is a very labor intensive item (high cost) to replace due to the fact that it requires removal of the automatic transmission.

On the 2008 and later 9PA’s they eliminated these dreaded valley coolant pipes and replaced them with one plastic pipe that runs above the valley area from the front of the engine to the back of the engine (near the firewall-below the windscreen). This plastic pipe connects to an aluminum coolant bridge at the rear of the engine between the cylinder heads and has a fitting that connects to a coolant hose. This aluminum fitting has been known to blow out of the coolant bridge, the only way to repair this is to replace the coolant bridge and that requires removal of the engine.

It appears that this coolant fitting is blowing out of the bridge because the engine might be overheating due to the radiator cooling fans malfunctioning. The cooling fans are malfunctioning because of an issue with a ground harness in the LF of the vehicle.

Just an FYI,
Tony Callas
Old 11-20-2009, 03:31 PM
pcst
Racer

Has anyone convinced the P-dealer service adviser to get the coolant pipes replaced before they burst w/o warning under the factory/CPO warranty?

I still have 17months of factory warranty, sure would like to get these replaced before it happens, I just hate (embarrassing) to be stuck on the road on my Porsche. Also afraid this might happen when my family take a trip out about in island, would be fun to tow it to the P-dealer from island via tow truck on the ferry.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 AM
pcst
Racer

Here is another question,,, I assume your Cayenne is out of warranty, and I see you basically replaced all plastic coolant pipes even though only 1 failed;
1 lower plastic pipe <-> 1 lower aluminum pipe
3 upper plastic pipes <-> 1 upper molded together 3 aluminum pipes
, which Porsche should have gone that route from get go.

Anyways, now I'm wondering, with Porsche's cheapo *** mind, less than expected moral business tactics; are they also going to replace all coolant pipes under the factory warranty if 1 plastic pipe fails or.....
For example, let's just say 1 big plastic pipe fails, are they just gonna replace that part only under the factory warranty service since other 3 smaller plastic pipes haven't yet failed?

This is sorta weird, since I have never gone this route, but I think I'm gonna spend my own $$$ to fix this problem (which will save my *** getting stuck on the road due to these cheapo plastic coolant pipe failures, how embarrassing!), while my Porsche is still under factory warranty if my above curiosity is the case.

So, for those of you who had the warranty service on this issue, could you please confirm whether the P-dealer actually replaced all plastic coolant pipes or just the ones that went south?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pcst; 11-21-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:45 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Because most of the cost is labor they tend to change them all while it's apart but the will not pre emp them failing under warranty as there is no recall or even a problem

the only ones I heard about getting done prior to failing was as part of a sales deal ie I will not buy unless you fix them first
Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 PM
pcst
Racer

Originally Posted by mudman2
Because most of the cost is labor they tend to change them all while it's apart but the will not pre emp them failing under warranty as there is no recall or even a problem

the only ones I heard about getting done prior to failing was as part of a sales deal ie I will not buy unless you fix them first

Makes sense, otherwise it will be preventative maintenance which shouldn't be covered by the warranty.

It looks like I'll be tearing apart as soon as my Cayenne goes out of warranty.

I wonder whether upgrading these coolant pipes would affect the factory warranty, since Porsche seems like to play the blame game when it comes down to the warranty coverage issues.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Pink
Track Day

Wow, it is bittersweet finding out that this is a common problem. This just happened to my girlfriend's mother's car (while I was driving it. ) Apparently they have a GE Warranty or something like that. Either way the warranty won't cover it because it is a plastic part and the warranty doesn't cover anything plastic. What kind of bs is that? The dealership quoted a total of $2500 for parts and labor. $985 in Parts and the rest in labor. Does this sound about right?

This is one of those things that should be a recall but isn't. Someone will have to start a lawsuit/letter just like the Audi TT Cluster and Timing belt, Corrado heater core, etc....
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That price (parts + labor) seems a bit high.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Pink
Track Day

It's from Rusnak in Pasadena, CA. They are pretty ridiculous. Labor rate is $160/hr. So it's about a 9 hour job?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:59 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Mine was $850 inc parts at dealer
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Pink, This is where the warranty company is wrong. The main fault or leak so to say is with the "Rubber" O-Rings and not the plastic pipes. The mechanic should have stated that it is an O-Ring failure. I am not sure if this information would have mattered but it is the truth. The plastic pipe has to be replaced because Porsche has an update to fit new "updated/better" bits in place. The "No Plastic Parts" clause in these modern automobile warranties is BS and needs to stop because of the myriad of plastics utilized in the modern cars.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I had the same problem, its classed under the generic "coolant hoses" catch all which are not covered.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
I had the same problem, its classed under the generic "coolant hoses" catch all which are not covered.
I'd call it a "pre-existing condition".
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM
pcst
Racer

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/mer...y_Code=955main

$529.95 (+s/h) from Suncoast Porsche
Old 12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
pcst
Racer

Originally Posted by Pink
This is one of those things that should be a recall but isn't. Someone will have to start a lawsuit/letter just like the Audi TT Cluster and Timing belt, Corrado heater core, etc....

I know it will come someday................. when someone get killed or seriously injured by this issue, for example, while driving on a highway 50-70mph (depending on the state) all of a sudden the white smoke blinds the front view and the Porsche Cayenne driver crashes.
Porsche will get sued for this and they will pay out a big $$$ for their cheapness. And hopefully National Highway Safety Board or whatever it's called, issues recall for Porsche to replace all these cheapo coolant pipes.
(keep your repair receipt to get your $$$ back if this happens in the future.)
Not sure why they take a risk like this, well, I guess we gamble throughout our life cycle anyways.

I know it sounds pretty harsh but it costs innocent one's life to change the cheapo *** corporation's mind when it comes to business.

Kindda surprised the fact that Porsche changed the replacement parts though; this indicates that they admit the design flaw, which should have been voluntary recall.)
Extremely disappointed of the company like Porsche doesn't step up to take care of their customers like how other car companies do. (Honda/Toyota)

Last edited by pcst; 12-03-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.