Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
Great post on this issue guys. Thanks.

Can anyone help me with my specific problem?

Stripped my 4.5S down today to get to my 'obviously' split coolant pipes under the air intakes and injector rails etc. 'Obvious' because the water loss was immediate and came from the back of the engine, so I convinced myself it was the dreaded lack of the upgrade. When I got to them, they've already been done! The whole area dry as a chip! YIPEE. Can't find where the leak is tho!! BOO. Any ideas of where I can start? Any other problematic pipes at the back of the engine to cause this that anyone is aware of? Waiting for a tool to pressurise the system to make it leak and hopring to get some mirrors down there to see. Any other suggestions please? Thanks.
The coolant reservoir is also a known failure point. It splits on the seam where the two halves are plastic-welded together.

Since you have an "S" you don't have the infamous plastic T that the turbos have, but you do still have the glued in fitting in the cooling crossover manifold at the rear of the heads. That's a possibility. That manifold can be replaced without engine removal - but it's probably not easy.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Jonathan Davies
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I actually recently changed the coolant reservoir due that infamous split and a very slight yet annoying leak I've had for a few years, but that has now probably caused the system to fail at it's next weakest point - position to be determined!
Looking through this forum though, I've found someone else who has had a very similar problem as mine after the upgrade and for them it was the small flexi pipe on the end of the larger replaced pipe under the triple piece. I'll wait for the pressure tester to come and repost my findings with some pics. Thank you again. Big help.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:52 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The coolant reservoir is also a known failure point. It splits on the seam where the two halves are plastic-welded together.

Since you have an "S" you don't have the infamous plastic T that the turbos have, but you do still have the glued in fitting in the cooling crossover manifold at the rear of the heads. That's a possibility. That manifold can be replaced without engine removal - but it's probably not easy.

The 955 has a glued fitting? I thought that was only the 4.8?
Old 10-30-2017, 04:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by 19psi
The 955 has a glued fitting? I thought that was only the 4.8?
Good question. Thought it did - anyone know for sure?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:07 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

I'm looking at a 2009 Cayenne S. Has 66,000 miles, very nice condition. I'm new to the Cayenne world. Does the 2009 have the plastic coolant pipe issues? If so I may still consider this vehicle but try and adjust asking price based on having to replace the coolant pipes.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

No. Pipes are a 955 (03 - 06) issue only.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
No. Pipes are a 955 (03 - 06) issue only.
Thanks...don't know why I thought it was a 957 issue.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BMWDavid
Thanks...don't know why I thought it was a 957 issue.
There is still a plastic coolant pipe and a metal upgrade is available. Fortunately the plastic 957 pipe doesn't seem to be as big an issue as the pipes on the 955.
The big concern on the 957 is the glued in barb fitting on the rear of the engine. The 955 pipes are child's play compared to dealing with that nightmare...I'm sure some bean counter at Porsche saved 10¢ per vehicle by half-assing it.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

There is still a plastic coolant pipe and a metal upgrade is available. Fortunately the plastic 957 pipe doesn't seem to be as big an issue as the pipes on the 955.
The big concern on the 957 is the glued in barb fitting on the rear of the engine. The 955 pipes are child's play compared to dealing with that nightmare...I'm sure some bean counter at Porsche saved 10¢ per vehicle by half-assing it.
Good to know! I'm still learning the little (or not so little!) details about the Cayenne.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:53 PM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I upgraded my customer's coolant pipe while replacing the hacked vent line that blew off on the highway. Fun job for sure!

Old 03-16-2018, 05:30 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

At least the original plastic pipe appears to have some thickness to the walls. What holds the large front pipes to the t-stat housing? Tell me those aren't glued too?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

At least the original plastic pipe appears to have some thickness to the walls. What holds the large front pipes to the t-stat housing? Tell me those aren't glued too?
I'm not him - but YES - they're glued. There is a thread in the 958 subforum about them coming unglued. I'm planning on very soon - using JBWeld around the junction of these pipes and the housing to secure them for good. The new replacement part (started around 2014 on the V8) has pipes that are bolted into the housing. I think I can do the JB Weld without major disassembly - mostly getting the air intake Y out of the way and perhaps the throttle-body. The pipes are located right under them.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM
tadink
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY TURN WITH THE LOTTERY - COOLANT PIPES OR T-PIPES - NOT SURE.

Add me to the list - my 2005 CTT burped a large volume of coolant all over the driveway after coming up our road (8.5 miles, 1,650 ft above Napa valley).

This was the 2nd car to take a dump TODAY - the other was my 1998 Toyota Landcruiser (aka the "workhorse") that simply died on the way down the road. I coasted a mile or so to get close enough to walk to my tennis game (hate to ruin the whole morning with car issues). After lunch, my wife came to rescue me in the CTT..... So I lost the workhorse and the CTT "racehorse" in the same day!! ugh.

QUESTION: is it possible to tall (easily) if the plastic T-junction has blown? It seems that most of the coolant was coming out from the back of the engine - drivers side. We'll get the AAA flatbed to take her down to the mechanic, but I'd like to have the right kit for him before he dives in. Probably should just have the alum T junctions on hand, not sure if I need to have the alum coolant pipes ready to go in or not. It appears from searching the records at the P-store where the car lived most its life that the coolant pipes had been done. No mention of the plastic T's, but I think we can guess that they have now failed.

Thanks for all your help in the past - I guess it is nice to be part of a 'club' even if it is the "shi*ty Porsche coolant system" club!!

Cheers from Napa

Tom
Dos Lagos Vineyards

Racehorse down!

mostly from the drivers side?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:30 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

It seems that most of the coolant was coming out from the back of the engine
I would immediately get a garden hose behind the engine and flush that area for a long time with fresh water. The coolant will destroy the torque converter seal.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:44 PM
aksuited
AutoX

Hey All - I am a new 04 Cayenne S owner and I was just trying to check my coolant pipes with my phone camera. I think I may be in luck based on this attached video. Do you guys agree? I think the aluminum pipes are already installed, right?
Attached Files
File Type: avi
pp.avi (4.45 MB, 58 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.