Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
greatlakeshsa
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 Turbo, 38k, my Coolant light just went on and surprise, my coolant was well below min. Other then a problem with plastic coolant tubes, what else could be causing low engine coolant?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM
libtech75
Intermediate

So an update:

I had some coolant leakage. Luckily it was a trickle and not a dump. So I had some time to order the parts and replace the pipes. Everything was replaced, great price on the parts and my mechanic did the job for a great price as well.

I look in the reservoir to make sure everything is ok a few days later and I see that the coolant level is low. I think maybe it's just the coolant system "settling"? I wait a couple more days and start seeing a little drippage from directly underneath the front of the passenger side of the car. It's very small and I wonder if could be related to the coolant pipe repair?

Coolant pipe repair was done very well and pressure tested so I doubt it. I look again at where the drippage was and based on another post I read somewhere around here I wonder: "Could it be a cracked reservoir tank"?

I took the car back to the shop and my mechanic did another pressure test. Sure enough the reservoir tank is cracked. Seems like this happens from time to time with others around the same time as the coolant issue/repair.

It was really the best case scenario so I was somewhat happy/relieved at the news. I wonder if this should be something that is replaced at the same time as the coolant pipes since it appears these reservoir tanks aren't built all that well and since the tanks are $60-70 and maybe a half an hour of labor, may be well worth it as a preventative measure.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 PM
pietermey
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Here's whatcha do - go to:

1) http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...orscheservice/

2) When you get there go down to the fifth option titled "Technical Service Information" and click on it.

3) Once you click on "Technical Service Information" it will open a new browser window for PIWIS TSI.

4) Sign up for an account.

5) Once you have an account set up, sign in to the site and go to "General Functions" from the menu on the left side of the PIWIS TSI screen.

6) Once you're in "General Functions" go to "System Requirements" in the upper right.

7) Clicking on "System Requirements" will open a dialog window on top of your browser window. From that dialog window download the lastest Adode Reader, Adobe SVG, and the Side-by-Side plug in. No need to bother with the winzip thing. Never used it.

8) Once all those downloads are on your computer and working go BACK to "General Functions" on the PIWIS TSI home screen and click on "Order Document Access" in the lower left.

9) Use a CC and buy the $10 access.

10) Once you have the $10 in your PIWIS TSI account go BACK to the PIWIS TSI home screen and click on "Vehicle Identification" on the left side.

11) Click on "Identification via VIN" and enter your VIN and finish by clicking "continue" on the far right.

12) You will automatically be returned to the PIWIS TSI home. Once there, click on "Document Search", then click "Default Search", then enter the "Search Terms" COOLANT PIPES and choose the "Info Type" of WORKSHOP MANUAL from the pull down menu under "Info Type" and THEN click "Start Search".

13) Your number one search hit of a list of search hits will be "Removing and Installing Coolant Pipes (includes repair solution). Click on THAT.

14) Turn your printer on.

15) On the bottom of the screen there will be a command line with the crude symbol of a printer. Click that symbol of a printer.

16) A new dialog window will open with stuff to print titled "Removing and installing coolant pipes (with heater pipes)(includes repair solution). Print document. IF you have downloaded your Adobe downloads correctly then you will get a complete list of tools, diagrams of the tools, a complete list of steps, diagrams of the steps, and a complete list of torque settings.

17) Once you print that stuff follow the same procedure for "Removing and Installing the Design Cover", and then "Removing and Installing the intake-air distributor".

18) If you're into it download "Draining and filling in coolant (includes bleeding)".

At the end of this you will have spent $1.80 x 4 (for each of the document accesses you entered) and you will have the MOST amazing, complete, detailed instructions from Porsche on the what, where, and how of this repair... with diagrams!

Good Luck.

p.s. - I got a complete set of repair parts in a "kit" from Sunset Porsche in Oregon for a GREAT price and the Kluber Syntheso Glep 1 is available from Pelican Parts online.
Hi there Johnny!
I have a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S and just had my coolant cover my garage floor :-) I pressume it is the obvious problem - thanx a million to your, porsche52's and others advice I might just be able to sort this out. I live in the far North of Canada - and my closest dealer is 700km's away - and the vehicle is out of warranty so then I put my pen down, take my tie off and start with the tools :-)
Thanx for the advice on the PIWIS - only problem I am experiencing here is that after registering on their site they dont send the stupid access code through - even after sending an email to their tech support. Would it perhaps be possible to send me the files you have there? I am happy and willing to pay you the same than what you paid for it :-) I gather you have/had the same vehicle as mine so I am hoping for the best!
Thanx!!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:29 AM
pietermey
Cruisin'

Default Help please

Looks like the job will be much bigger without the instruction from the Porsche workshop manual!!!! I couldnt even get the pia hose out of the radiator to drain the rest of the fluid, please anyone with a copy of the workshop manual sections as described by Johnny could you contact me - I cant figure out how to PM people on rennlist - my email is pietermey@gmail.com - I am willing to pay you for it. Since I am in Canada the web tech doesnt support my request for looking into why their site does not send out the &^%@&^!! authentication email. Wow the support is lacking big time!! Phoned the dealer where I spent $2000 on a 120K service the other day in Vancouver and they want me to bring the car in - thats 1200KM from here!! They also quoted me $1200+tax for the upgrade kit, here;s to Porche Canada - Thanx!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Count me as the latest victim of the plastic pipe gremlin. 2006 Cayenne S with 49K miles. Had the low coolant light come on back in February when driving up in the mountains. Added a bit of coolant and then had the system checked and flushed by the dealer service department. I suspected the pipes but they said there was no apparent leak. On Friday (3.5 months later) the low coolant light came on again but this time coolant was pooling under the car when I stopped to check. Topped off with water and drove to the dealer (fortuitously only 3 miles away). They confirmed this morning that it was a coolant pipe rupture. Luckily it is being covered by the CPO.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to my local dealer and they quoted me $2600 for the job... Said the parts were $1200. When I explained that I could buy the parts from Sunset or Suncoast for less than $600 they basically said, "Have fun." Then I spoke to the parts manager (my new best friend)... He listened to my story and said, "Let me see what we can do..." Amazingly, they figured out a way to sell me the parts for $550... I understand that a dealership has to make $$ on their service, but that is robbery!

Just for fun I stopped by the service manager's desk on my way out and told him what I just paid for his $1200 worth of parts... He claimed he had no idea the mark-up was that high... Yeah, right!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me as a successful DIY. I did have a couple of "issues" but nothing I couldn't figure out. The big pipes that everyone talks about being a pain were really no problem at all. I just broke them off into the manifolds, grabbed the metal "liner" firmly with a pair of vice grips, and levered them out using the rounded jaws of the vice grips against the manifold surface. Both ends came out really easily... I was plesantly surprised!

My Cayenne S has 107k miles, so I was really scared what I might find. But, mine did not appear to have been leaking at all. The manifold surfaces were corroded a bit, but that cleaned up nicely with some emery cloth. The plastic was pretty brittle though!

I'm glad that's done... I've decided to maintain and drive the Cayenne for another two or three years, so it is nice not to feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb any longer!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by jpurdue425
On Page 2 of this thread Porsche52 added some valuable hints.

*Now the fun part. To remove the Lower pipe, I use an air saw. (pic #7)I cut the pipe in this location. Once pipe is cut, I pull up and towards the front of the car. This snaps the pipe off at engine (pic #8). To remove the remaining pipe you see, I use a Mapp gas torch (reason to never open the Drivers door!!) and heat the surrounding area, using vise grips, pull the plastic chunks and metal rings out. Then clean bores with suitable emory cloth or scotch bright, brillow pad etc.

I used a propane torch. Heat up the area and pull out the metal ring in the center. Heat the plastic remains, Once you get the 2 O rings out the rest falls out. I used the same method on the rest of the openings as well.

One more note of precaution. I cut 2 fingers off of my rubber gloves and zip tied them over the fuel lines to prevent potential vapor from igniting. Maybe a little too careful but I just kept thinking about what would have happened if it did start. I would have immediately tried to roll the vehicle out of the garage, which would have required me to open the drivers door to get out of gear. Once you open the drivers door then the fun would have really began with the fuel pump emptying all fuel out of the tank in to the inferno under the hood.
Sorry to bring an old posting to the head of the queue.. but it seems a lot of people have missed a simple way to avoid a gasoline shower.

Pull the pump fuses. From memory #13 and #14 in the fuse box under the hood. No power - no pumping - no gasoline shower to worry about.

Will be doing this job with my friendly local indy next week.. another comment on parts to follow.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Just a comment on parts.

Somewhere (here perhaps?) I saw a posting for a coolant pipe kit that was quite attractively priced. It's from Sonnen. Price seemed very good. Problem is - it's not complete.

http://www.porscheoemparts.com/partl...gid=7378&tab=1

The parts arrived today, and in looking over what was in the "kit" - I found the following bits missing:

1 - Hose clamps for the short stub hose to join the two parts of the big pipe. PN: 999-512-389-01, cost at the local dealer - $6.78/each - total $13.56

2 - The assembly grease "Synthesto Glep GR" - PN 000-043-204-68, cost at the local dealer - $24.73

3 - Intake manifold gaskets. Dunno about you - but when this sort of gasket is disturbed I figure on replacing them. "Intake Distrib G" - PN 9480110-145-01 cost at local dealer - $31.64/each - total $63.28.

4 - Antifreeze. Not planning on using the old stuff over, and didn't expect it in the "kit" since it would be costly to ship. PN 000-043-301-05 "Antifreeze 3.7" - cost from local dealer $44.25/each - total for 2 gallons - $88.48

Total from the local dealer was $190.05 + tax = $203.36
The "kit" from Sonnen was $396.97 - PLUS - $50/shipping. The shipping cost seems excessive to me since it was shipped in a flat-rate FedEx box. Dunno how much it cost them - it does appear they ship with 3 day delivery, so that can be a bit expensive.

So far - the total is $600.33. Hopefully that's all the parts it will need.

I also saw someplace that there is a T fitting at the rear of the engine that should be replaced. It was suggested in a thread that this be replaced when doing the pipes. I used PET to look it up - and ordered that from Sonnen with the rest of the stuff. Cost at their price was about $10.00. Thing is - there is NO T fitting on the '06 CS - what appears in PET as a fitting with two hose stubs attached (and the outlet of the T blanked off) is actually just a hose. Straight through. No plastic T at all. Don't waste your money.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

BTW - just looked at the SunCoast kit - considering it comes with all the parts except the grease (and I'd want to check if it comes with the inner AND outer thermostat housing gaskets) for $529, it appears to be a better deal then the Sonnen kit.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...5sWaterCooling

It even comes with 2 gallons of the horribly expensive coolant.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Also missing from the Sonnen "kit" - the O ring that seals the small pipe that goes into the front of the thermostat housing (return line from the oil cooler in the sump..)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 AM
cayenne11
4th Gear

Default Big coolant leak

Cayenne S big coolant leak!

This problem happened to me a couple of days ago, I was driving along and suddenly the DIS said check coolant level. Moments later it said the engine was too hot. As soon as I could pull over I checked it and it was as low as could be. I then filled it with approx 2 litres of mixture and of course the same messages popped up.

I've just heard back from Porsche Customer Services and they have said, despite my car being a low mileage vehicle for its age - i.e. 2006, just under 38,000 miles, bought from a Porsche owned dealership, serviced at Porsche, and any repairs that needed to be done being carried out through them - twice - through no fault of my own - they are prepared to give me NOTHING as a gesture of goodwill.

I find it unbelievable that a company as large as Porsche with a reputation for having owners who care for their cars can just fob me off like this. I find it despicable.

Thanks Porsche, I don't think I'll be troubling you ever again for a car.

Last edited by cayenne11; 06-24-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added model details
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
cayenne11
4th Gear

P.S. Anyone else who needs the kit to replace the pipes should look here;

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod71...e-955-Cayenne/

I've just ordered a set for my car and it's much less than the stealers at P***che want. Priced at about £360.

I'm sure there will be many more unfortunate people who will have to endure this issue that could've been avoided if Porsche had thoughfully recalled all vehicles affected by this.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

What's the best place in the engine to see if coolant has leaked or should I just look under the Cayenne or check the coolant level? My 04 Turbo was a CPO at 65k mi so it was likely under warranty thru 100k mi, I'd think. It was in TX north of me for two years of scorching hot summers. Seems the pipes likely would have gone by now. I wish there was some way to access service records from the dealer now that I own it. There is just one major dealer where this vehicle lived so I'd think it went there.....
Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Also missing from the Sonnen "kit" - the O ring that seals the small pipe that goes into the front of the thermostat housing (return line from the oil cooler in the sump..)
Good info, do you have a part# and qty required?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.