Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
jpurdue425
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottmotorsports
Ok I have it all apart all of the pipes are out. They broke off clean at the fittings, now i have to find a way to get the broken plastic out of the fittings...any Ideas?
On Page 2 of this thread Porsche52 added some valuable hints.

*Now the fun part. To remove the Lower pipe, I use an air saw. (pic #7)I cut the pipe in this location. Once pipe is cut, I pull up and towards the front of the car. This snaps the pipe off at engine (pic #8). To remove the remaining pipe you see, I use a Mapp gas torch (reason to never open the Drivers door!!) and heat the surrounding area, using vise grips, pull the plastic chunks and metal rings out. Then clean bores with suitable emory cloth or scotch bright, brillow pad etc.

I used a propane torch. Heat up the area and pull out the metal ring in the center. Heat the plastic remains, Once you get the 2 O rings out the rest falls out. I used the same method on the rest of the openings as well.

One more note of precaution. I cut 2 fingers off of my rubber gloves and zip tied them over the fuel lines to prevent potential vapor from igniting. Maybe a little too careful but I just kept thinking about what would have happened if it did start. I would have immediately tried to roll the vehicle out of the garage, which would have required me to open the drivers door to get out of gear. Once you open the drivers door then the fun would have really began with the fuel pump emptying all fuel out of the tank in to the inferno under the hood.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 PM
jetmax
Track Day

Default My number came up

My 04 Cayenne S with 104k miles just spring the major coolant leak. I will be doing the surgery myself. Anyone have additional suggestions for me please do not hesitate to give them. I will order the 17 piece set tomorrow from Suncoast unless I hear otherwise.

John
Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

people get the names mixed up sometimes its www.sunsetimports.com, OEM part for cost
Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
jetmax
Track Day

All done, but engine will start then die.
Error from computer is: Camshaft Position Actuator A Bank 1 Timing over-advanced.

Did I bump or move something?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:09 PM
jpurdue425
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jetmax
All done, but engine will start then die.
Error from computer is: Camshaft Position Actuator A Bank 1 Timing over-advanced.

Did I bump or move something?
Is that the sensor below the lower coolant pipe?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:19 AM
dasmall
2nd Gear

Well my 2004 Cayenne TT let loose Friday. Was rushing to work, parked in parking deck on slanted deck. When I came out of my meeting noticed water down entire length of parking deck. I thought to myself, someones has a heck of a problem since it has been so dry in Atlanta.
Well that was me. Towed into dealership and confirmed bad news, larger pipe spilt entire length of pipe and dumped entire contents into starter and ground. Original estimate of $3,300.00 with starter replacement and 10.0 labor. Starter alone was priced out at $656.00, as mentioned in earlier posts - probably best to replace it now since they are in it that deep.
Would like to write Porsche NA for Goodwill help. At very least pay for parts. Any thoughts on tack, angle?
BTW, I had now signs leading up to event. No fluid leaks, no onboard indications, no smells - nothing. Just a big surprise!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 PM
ventuje
Intermediate

So my 04 CS threw "low coolant" alert the other night while driving home! I've got 44k on the clock. Dealer is on my way home, so I limped right over there, grabbed a rental (no loaners available at that time of night). Next morning I asked the dealer to contact PCNA about the coolant pipes "known issue". They were willing to cover the cost of all parts, plus 1.5hrs of labor. I agreed and had them change the water pump too (did not think about the starter) I also needed tires too, so the dealer got a decent chunk of my $$ which may have helped persuade PCNA to pony up some dough.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
people get the names mixed up sometimes its www.sunsetimports.com, OEM part for cost
Suncoast in FL also gives the same price discount and I suspect delivery time is better for someone in VA.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 PM
jetmax
Track Day

Replaced the knock sensor ($100 from dealer) fixed my problem. And yes I had to remove everything again.

And yes sunsetimports is where I got mine. No kit listed online, but when you call them they know what you are talking about.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Clutch-n-Throttle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I changed out my pipes back in April. Now I have developed another coolant leak. The fluid is leaking out of the drain hole under the bell housing. I have no idea how coolant is getting into the bell housing. I will be dismantling the intake and coolant tubes again to see where the leak is coming from.

I need to verify that its the TT that has the T fitting in the rear holes. Does the CS have these T-fittings?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Aremee
5th Gear

Default What % of Cayennes develop coolant tube issues

I just bought an 04 Cayenne s for relatively little money. I fully understand the coolant risk, but it is hard to determine prevalent this issue is. I spoke to two Porsche dealer service managers. One said he had seen only "2 or 3" of these leaks in the last several years. Another one said it is infrequent as well. Spoke to Porsche mechanic, said he has seen several. I guess the question here is, how frequent or what is the probability of this happening to any given Cayenne? Then it becomes a matter of does one perform an expensive preemptive repair before the problem rears its face? The preemptive repair could be done and then another expensive, unrelated, unanticipated problem comes up. Would the opinion be 10%, 25% 100% of these Cayennes experience this issue? That is always the question I suppose.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 PM
profusion
Advanced

Is there a DIY that tells you how to remove everything from the top of the pipes?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM
windsurfnut
Track Day

Also looking for clarification of the parts above the pipes. Anyone have service manual pages they can send or post?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by profusion
Is there a DIY that tells you how to remove everything from the top of the pipes?

Amen to this, I know the 1st page shows somewhat steps but most of steps are missing.

It would be awesome to have DIY instructions step by step.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
redgt3
Intermediate

ok people - looks like I may be doing the fix this weekend

coolant has not spewed out yet, but there is a slow leak coming from behind the engine...had it in at a local garage, who could not locate the source, so me thinks that this is a time bomb ticking !

how many people here noticed a small leak before a total expulsion?

I'm pretty conscientious about checking fluid levels (comes from track car prep) so noticed about a litre missing a week ago; 1k miles later and about 100ml has removed itself from the system.
am I paranoid in looking to replace the pipes based upon this scenario ?

also, anyone in the UK located a kit of parts for this, or is it a case of going along to the dealership and just handing over a big parts list to DIY ?

Last edited by redgt3; 10-20-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.