Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   GTS TOWING (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/514861-gts-towing.html)

pedsurg 07-27-2009 08:54 PM

GTS TOWING

I realize some consider using the shortish wheel base pepper as a tow vehicle is controversial and perhaps not the best solution, but is anyone using a GTS for sig towing.
In my case this would be the 993 on an aluminum trailex, (as pictured above)

Jack

Jerseybean 07-27-2009 09:13 PM

No picture above?

User 4221 07-27-2009 09:31 PM

Probably referring to the Trailex ad that occasionally appears in the banner bar.

mooty 07-28-2009 01:46 AM

towing open open alum trailer, the S and GTS is more than fine, even considering the short wheel base.
towing an enclosed... NO. i just towed 3900 lbs today on flat road.... not enough torque, really.

oh let me add: porsche has fixed the lighting issue.
i have factory towing pkg. i installed a tekonsha primus controller, i had no prob with LED trailer lights. all the lights on car and on trailer worked as they should and no "!" warning lights on dash.

f4 plt 07-28-2009 06:56 AM

I towed my '83 SC from San Antonio to Parade (Keystone, CO) and back behind my '08 GTS on a trailex open trailer and it was outstanding. Even going up the mountains (as high as 11,000ft) the GTS had no problem. While it is a short wheelbase vehicle its wide stance and all wheel drive kept it very stable even with passing 18 wheel trucks and areas of strong cross winds. Over half the trip was on two lane rural highways, no problem. I did put mud flaps on the back wheel wells of the GTS and it kept most trash from hitting the Sc. Since getting home I have added the front screen to the trailer. My trailer also has the wheel rack and I had four tires and wheels on it Still no issue. Overall gas mileage for the trip was right at 13 MPG. The Cayenne GTS is not only a great traveling vehicle, it is a great tow mule. By the way there were at least 5 trailex trailers at Parade and about the same number of Cayennes ("S", GTS and Turbos) as tow vehicles, some were pulling heavy steel open trailers with no problems. I am very happy with the combination.

f4 plt 07-28-2009 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot the picture, sorry

pedsurg 07-28-2009 08:15 AM

Thanks guys. What about a GTS with the manual tranny ??

Jack

f4 plt 07-28-2009 09:02 AM

Our GTS has the tip transmission as my wife does not like to drive stick (she can just does not like to). That said, and the manual is out in the vehicle, I think I read where it is not recommended to tow with the manual transmission. Now before someone chimes in I'm sure that does not include a light utility trailer. Most manufacturers strongly recommend an automatic transmission when towing.

RJFabCab 07-28-2009 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 6766945)
towing open open alum trailer, the S and GTS is more than fine, even considering the short wheel base.
towing an enclosed... NO. i just towed 3900 lbs today on flat road.... not enough torque, really.

oh let me add: porsche has fixed the lighting issue.
i have factory towing pkg. i installed a tekonsha primus controller, i had no prob with LED trailer lights. all the lights on car and on trailer worked as they should and no "!" warning lights on dash.

No faults with an all LED trailer??? :bowdown::biggulp::bowdown::biggulp:

Larry, RIP, must be secretly working for Porsche, er, VW, from the grave.

Mooty, where is the connector for the brake control located in the GTS? Still up under the driver's side dash?

Jack, the Cayenne platform will do a pretty decent job pulling an open Trailex with a 993. Don't forget to carry a full duty spare for the Pepper...

Cheers

f4 plt 07-28-2009 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by RJFabCab (Post 6767352)

Larry, RIP, must be secretly working for Porsche, er, VW, from the grave.

Mooty, where is the connector for the brake control located in the GTS? Still up under the driver's side dash?

Jack, the Cayenne platform will do a pretty decent job pulling an open Trailex with a 993. Don't forget to carry a full duty spare for the Pepper...

Cheers

Good point on the spare. I carry a spare for the trailer, but have not added a full size spaere for the Cayenne. Also I checked the specs in the owners manual and tow capacity is the same for manual and or tip equiped GTs vehicles. I have surge brakes on my Trailex by the way.

I would tend to agree with Mooty that pulling an enclosed trailer could be a strain unless it was say a Trailex low boy (sports car) alum trailer. The Cayenne owners manual also addresses the reduction towing capability as you go higher. I had no problem climbing to 11,000 feet with my rig and the cayenne somewhat loaded. I was able to maintain posted speed of 65 although the last portion of the climb the GTS did downshift to 3rd gear but took it is stride. I strongly recommend the factory towing package if you are going to tow often. Jack

Toby Pennycuff 07-28-2009 01:03 PM

I've pulled an enclosed 24' Haulmark containing my '74 911S behind an '04 Cayenne S, an '06 Cayenne Turbo and now an '08 Cayenne GTS. In each case, the Cayenne(s) pulls this load just fine. Combined weight of the trailer and vehicle is coming in around 6700-6900 pounds (depending on what "stuff" I decide to take with me to the track). BTW, my current Cayenne, the '08 GTS, has the manual transmission.

Toby

mooty 07-29-2009 12:48 AM

Cheers

toby told me it's right above the E brake pedal. i had a shop do the install, my controller is on the right side of the driver's dash. like around drivers right knee. so i presume the connector is there?

the plug at the back of the car didn't need any adaptor. it was a seven pin thing. plugs in and off u go.

if i had an open trailer i would have no qualm at all towing with pepper.

ltc 07-29-2009 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Bill911 07-30-2009 05:39 PM

I have an 09 GTS which pulls an enclosed 20 foot Cargo Pro. Just got back yesterday from VIR, 550 miles each way. GTS pulls just great.

ltc 07-30-2009 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bill911 (Post 6775082)
I have an 09 GTS which pulls an enclosed 20 foot Cargo Pro.....

Nice choice in trailers.
Purchased from Atlantic Coast trailers perhaps?