Sponsored by:

No Sound from Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:57 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Sound from Radio

This morning I had no sound from the radio, regardless of source. I have tried all of the suggested fixes in earlier posts, and checked the fuses. Still no sound.
I have the mObridge installed with a CDR23 headunit with BOSE sound.
Has anybody else run into this issue? I do not have my Ipod currently connected. Would that affect this issue?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alsamrob
This morning I had no sound from the radio, regardless of source. I have tried all of the suggested fixes in earlier posts, and checked the fuses. Still no sound.
I have the mObridge installed with a CDR23 headunit with BOSE sound.
Has anybody else run into this issue? I do not have my Ipod currently connected. Would that affect this issue?
Does it happen sporadically? Does it look like it is working (headunit turns on just no sound)?

I had that happen to my (now departed) 04CS. It was the headunit. Fixed by Becker North America for about $300 bucks with shipping. Takes them about 2 weeks to turn it around. In the meantime, you can drive around in complete silence and further enjoy the beauty of owning a beta.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
.... In the meantime, you can drive around in complete silence and further enjoy the beauty of owning a beta.
No need to rub it in....you were a beta owner once yourself, remember?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Has the vehicle had all the infotainment F/W updates applied by the dealer?

I'm assume you've discovered from the archives the issue with a "no audio" condition, related to an internal design flaw (Larry would say 'feature'..what a twisted sense of humor that guy had....I miss him) where if the DSP doesn't initialize, you get a no audio condition.
FWIW, it could occur by means of 4 different initialization errors....the 'fix' was a S/W update.....this goes back to the early beta days.

A PIWIS dealer visit would immediately make things clearer.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, there were some amp updates.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by wirunner
Does it happen sporadically? Does it look like it is working (headunit turns on just no sound)?

I had that happen to my (now departed) 04CS. It was the headunit. Fixed by Becker North America for about $300 bucks with shipping. Takes them about 2 weeks to turn it around. In the meantime, you can drive around in complete silence and further enjoy the beauty of owning a beta.
Not sporadically. The headunit looks like it is working, just no sound.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Has the vehicle had all the infotainment F/W updates applied by the dealer?

I'm assume you've discovered from the archives the issue with a "no audio" condition, related to an internal design flaw (Larry would say 'feature'..what a twisted sense of humor that guy had....I miss him) where if the DSP doesn't initialize, you get a no audio condition.
FWIW, it could occur by means of 4 different initialization errors....the 'fix' was a S/W update.....this goes back to the early beta days.

A PIWIS dealer visit would immediately make things clearer.
I believe so. Is there any way to check short of going to the dealer?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

FWIW, it worked fine until it didn't.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many cycles has it had where it didn't "fix itself?"

I have an '04CS and for the most part I have learned to hold off just a bit before getting the dealer involved.......
Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Dirty Harry Disclaimer:
Do you feel lucky punk....well, do ya?

MOST never really goes to sleep. MOST devices are connected directly to the battery (not switched ignition).
They spend their days waking up for very short periods of time, checking status, then going to 'sleep' for much longer periods of time....Larry nicknamed this 'prarie *******'....odd man, I know.

So, taking the keys out of the ignition, not wearing socks, standing on one leg while grabbing the left windshield wiper blade, etc...all the urban legends on how to 'fix' this thing don't work.

If you want to really reset a MOST device (like an amplifier), is to disconnect it from the battery.
Of course, disconnecting the battery is a bit of a PITA, the Cayenne will develop amnesia, you'll have to wait for everything to readapt (which for the transmission might be a good thing, but I digress).
So, you could try simply pulling the fuse for the amplifier (or simply unplugging the amplfiier.....), waiting, I don't know 3-7 minutes for the internal capacitors to discharge, then plugging it back in and seeing what happens.

Be sure to let us know.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

If you mean by cycles, that the car has gone to sleep, then it been at least 5-6 cycles. I will try the fuse pull. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Is the "Radio Booster" fuse is the amplifier? If so, tried pulling it and waiting 10 minutes to no avail. Where is the amplifier located in the car?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM
richc
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
Dirty Harry Disclaimer:
Do you feel lucky punk....well, do ya?

So, taking the keys out of the ignition, not wearing socks, standing on one leg while grabbing the left windshield wiper blade, etc...all the urban legends on how to 'fix' this thing don't work.

Be sure to let us know.
That's good!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 PM
wirunner
Pro

Gosh I miss those days and mine did just start doing it one fine day. However, I found if turned the car off and let it sit for 15 minutes it might work again. Maybe. Sure was fun. Wish I could say what Becker did but it just says "Radio Repair" on the receipt. But it never happened again.

Helpful aren't I? But my bet is on the headunit. Prob cheaper to have Becker take a look than your dealer if the amp test doesn't work. Just a guess though.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:21 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
No need to rub it in....you were a beta owner once yourself, remember?
I enjoyed the silence of no radio. It helped me further appreciate some of the "features" (as you say) of the beta.

Quick Reply: No Sound from Radio