Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer damaged my shift ****, refuses to replace

Hi guys,

On a recent repair with a new dealer, my shift **** was badly scratched while in their possession. Service manager refuses to replace, says he's already done enough for me.

This was my first time there (thought I'd try a different dealer since my own dealer was not able to diagnose the problem I was having and is not particularly inclined to return phone calls). Car is out of warranty but low mileage, so dealer put in extra effort to have some major repairs covered, and I also had brakes and some other work performed at my expense. Their efforts regarding the warranty work were very much appreciated, so no complaints there.

Service manager refuses to replace the shift ****, says he already took enough out of his "budget" to accommodate me. I'm pleased with the work they did, but they also damaged the engine cover which they did replace, and now he's done with me. Says I am "nickel-and-dime-ing" him, but I don't feel my Cayenne Turbo should have been returned with damage. Car was spotless when brought in, and I feel I have every right to expect it to be returned in the same condition.

Do I have any recourse aside from small claims court?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you prove the shifter was not damaged at the time the car was presented for service?
Can you prove the engine cover was not damaged at the time the car was presented for service?
Did you document the communication(s) between yourself and the service manager?

Of course you can file suit (PCNA loves that and actually has a fairly decent legal team and will also retain local legal talent), but how much time/money are you willing to spend?

You could contact PCNA and ask for the regional technical manager who is responsible for this particular dealership and explain your situation to him.
You could (and probably should) contact the general manager of the dealership and explain your situation.

Of course I have no idea how anything like this goes, never having owned a Cayenne......

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call PCNA and asked to speak to the General Manager

Originally Posted by k2kv
Hi guys,

On a recent repair with a new dealer, my shift **** was badly scratched while in their possession. Service manager refuses to replace, says he's already done enough for me.

This was my first time there (thought I'd try a different dealer since my own dealer was not able to diagnose the problem I was having and is not particularly inclined to return phone calls). Car is out of warranty but low mileage, so dealer put in extra effort to have some major repairs covered, and I also had brakes and some other work performed at my expense. Their efforts regarding the warranty work were very much appreciated, so no complaints there.

Service manager refuses to replace the shift ****, says he already took enough out of his "budget" to accommodate me. I'm pleased with the work they did, but they also damaged the engine cover which they did replace, and now he's done with me. Says I am "nickel-and-dime-ing" him, but I don't feel my Cayenne Turbo should have been returned with damage. Car was spotless when brought in, and I feel I have every right to expect it to be returned in the same condition.

Do I have any recourse aside from small claims court?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, that's what I get for buying your wheels?

Engine cover has already been replaced n/c.

No, of course I can't prove a thing. I assumed the GM would already be aware of the situation, but perhaps not.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by ltc
Can you prove the shifter was not damaged at the time the car was presented for service?
Can you prove the engine cover was not damaged at the time the car was presented for service?
Did you document the communication(s) between yourself and the service manager?

Of course you can file suit (PCNA loves that and actually has a fairly decent legal team and will also retain local legal talent), but how much time/money are you willing to spend?

You could contact PCNA and ask for the regional technical manager who is responsible for this particular dealership and explain your situation to him.
You could (and probably should) contact the general manager of the dealership and explain your situation.

Of course I have no idea how anything like this goes, never having owned a Cayenne......

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Simply preparing you for what lies ahead.
You WILL be asked these questions, so it's best to be prepared, especially since you mentioned 'small claims court'.
Just sharing a bit of 'been there, done that'.
Don't believe me, consult with a local attorney and get their opinion.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry

They should call me in a few days anyway to follow-up on the service. If they don't, I'll just contact the GM and take it from there...

Originally Posted by ltc
Simply preparing you for what lies ahead.
You WILL be asked these questions, so it's best to be prepared, especially since you mentioned 'small claims court'.
Just sharing a bit of 'been there, done that'.
Don't believe me, consult with a local attorney and get their opinion.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM
AngM018
Instructor

GM first, Then PCNA. Start calm, then get more aggitated. Do Not threaten them with law suits till after you get to the the PCNA stage with no solution. If you threaten lawsuits, they will be more than likely to clam up, and tell you to call their attourney which will get you nowhere. Calling PCNA is a good threat b/c they always have the final word when it comes to dealers
Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Interesting approach......
Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

not trying to play the devil here, just looking at this case from another perspective.

you said you got some free major repair work done, and now you're claiming for a shift ****. How much does a shift **** cost? Is it worth your time and headache to get into a fight that you may not win?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Tim,

Although the "free" work did not cost me, the dealer was certainly compensated by Porsche. It's not as if the dealer had provided gratis service to me. If he had, I would in turn eat the cost of the shift ****, though I still would have brought it to their attention.

It's not really in my best interest to pursue the issue in court (I don't really have the time for that), but I don't think it's appropriate for a dealership to simply wave off their own overt negligence, and assume it's okay for them to damage a customer's vehicle without responsibility. It's not the cost of the shift ****. It's much more the principal of the thing.

They also damaged the engine cover which they took care of without complaint. But the point is, something is wrong there. The service manager told me he didn't think the few dings in the big silver plate ("Turbo 4.5 V8") were "so bad," and was angry that I even complained about it. "Not so bad?" That's not really the right attitude, IMHO, and I think the dealer principal should be made aware of the attitude that exists down in the middle ranks.

Instead of trying to make me feel guilty for complaining about the damage they've caused, they should really be offering an apology and quick resolution.

Sometimes we just need to stand up when we feel we've been treated poorly; perhaps it will help the next guy.

Thanks for your comments...

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
not trying to play the devil here, just looking at this case from another perspective.

you said you got some free major repair work done, and now you're claiming for a shift ****. How much does a shift **** cost? Is it worth your time and headache to get into a fight that you may not win?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:49 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

I completely agree!

Thanks...

Originally Posted by AngM018
GM first, Then PCNA. Start calm, then get more aggitated. Do Not threaten them with law suits till after you get to the the PCNA stage with no solution. If you threaten lawsuits, they will be more than likely to clam up, and tell you to call their attourney which will get you nowhere. Calling PCNA is a good threat b/c they always have the final word when it comes to dealers
Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

JMHO, but on your first visit, they comp'd you pretty well. Usually you have to have a long history of service patronage to get thtat kind of service, at least in my exerience.

I'd maybe ask for a discount on a new **** if you're really bent on them damaging your current one. Keep the big picture in mind.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:24 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
JMHO, but on your first visit, they comp'd you pretty well. Usually you have to have a long history of service patronage to get thtat kind of service, at least in my exerience.

I'd maybe ask for a discount on a new **** if you're really bent on them damaging your current one. Keep the big picture in mind.
I gotta back Anderson on this one.

However, if you want to go the full route it usually starts with verbal phone call, then certified demand letter, then small claims. Just proceed down the path and hope they resolve the matter prior to going in front of a judge. If they go to court and lose, they will be responsible for the shifter, court costs, and your expenses.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hey, where's Droptop......I think he might have some experience in this area
Old 11-14-2008, 04:59 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Hey, where's Droptop......I think he might have some experience in this area
you're recommending the "go nuclear" option already?!

Quick Reply: Dealer damaged my shift knob, refuses to replace