Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM
stevertr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of weird CTT issues today

Brought my car in today for 3 things.

1. Brake pad replacement.

2. Battery wasn't holding a charge well after a few days of non-use...which is not surprising with 3+ years on the same battery.

3. As I pulled into the dealer, I got a weird warning light on the display. I believe it read "Oil Measurement System Failure - Workshop." Not that this is different than the check oil light.

The staff took care of items one and two, but saw no warning light when they started it up. It was a quart low so they added oil.

Anyway...on the way home I experienced two weird things.

First, that same warning came up, intermittently. When it did come on, the Oil Temperature Gauge went to zero and stayed there. Then it went off, I got a normal oil temp reading.

Second...the scarier one, is that under heavy acceleration, ie: stomping on it at 2500-3000rpm, the car seems to now "shutter." It's a really weird feeling. Almost like a cylinder is missing, or bad gas, or, if it were a manual - a clutch slipping. I've got no idea what's causing that, but I know for sure it wasn't like that when I brought it in - because when I dropped it off, the service tech drove me back to a local hotel where I was having a meeting...and as we headed across two lanes of traffic to make a U-Turn, I stomped on it and pinned us both back in our seats as usual.

Any ideas???? Could it be related to a power short when they replaced the battery??

Regards

Steve
Old 09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevertr
Second...the scarier one, is that under heavy acceleration, ie: stomping on it at 2500-3000rpm, the car seems to now "shutter." It's a really weird feeling. Almost like a cylinder is missing, or bad gas, or, if it were a manual - a clutch slipping. I've got no idea what's causing that, but I know for sure it wasn't like that when I brought it in - because when I dropped it off, the service tech drove me back to a local hotel where I was having a meeting...and as we headed across two lanes of traffic to make a U-Turn, I stomped on it and pinned us both back in our seats as usual.

Any ideas???? Could it be related to a power short when they replaced the battery??

Regards

Steve
What year vehicle, miles, and model? Could be coils (search threads).. could be bad gas (that's what the dealer will say regardless the first time in).. could be a short although that would be rare. could be my pig from Russia is back state-side..
Old 09-16-2008, 06:22 PM
stevertr
Instructor

2004 CTT....72K miles or so... Definitely not gas, since the problem didn't exist on the way to the dealer.

Also, need to find out about this other oil sensor...where it is and how to fix it.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Coils and Inst Cluster maybe
Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Vibration from the cardan shaft caused premature failure of the coolant tubes which broke, were ingested into the engine and now the engine is done, finished, adios.

Happens all the time
Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
Coils and Inst Cluster maybe
Agree. You're a beta.. probably coils.. instrument cluster could be big $$$. see if coils clears the issues.. but probably won't.... sorry.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 AM
stevertr
Instructor

Looks like the hesitation issue was solved by using the "turn the key for 60 seconds with your foot off the brake" method to reset the onboard computer and adaptive transmission. Must have garbled when they pulled the battery.

God you guys are so quick to push cars off a cliff )

Anyway...still have this odd oil sensor issue. Any ideas on that would be very, very welcome.

Regards

Steve
Old 09-17-2008, 09:55 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Steve

You are so wrong, that method resets E-Gas only, you will learn to live with the hesitation and use the thumbs when you need to

Dealer will need to hook up the tester to read any error codes for the oil sensor

Mike
Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 AM
stevertr
Instructor

That's incorrect... I've used that method for all sorts of things when everything else has failed. For example, a frozen PCM that won't turn on. Tried everything including pulling the fuse itself. The only thing that worked was the key reset
Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevertr
That's incorrect... I've used that method for all sorts of things when everything else has failed. For example, a frozen PCM that won't turn on. Tried everything including pulling the fuse itself. The only thing that worked was the key reset
Murphy's Law then.. I assure you that plenty of folks have had frozen PCM's and the procedure did NOT work.

but, if it works for you..................
Old 09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Old 09-17-2008, 02:47 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'm going to stick around and wait for the engine to seize...

Quick Reply: Couple of weird CTT issues today