16-17 combo I get in my 06 S.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by billyg
A 6 cylinder Cayenne Hybrid doesn't excite me. Any possibilities of an 8 cylinder down the road?
No
Old 08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

A Cayenne hybrid in any form doesn't excite me. If I want a hybrid, I won't buy a Cayenne.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

OK, how about a Cayenne Diesel then?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

If I were looking for a more fuel efficient Cayenne, this would appeal to me more than a hybrid. I may even like this better if I were planning (dare I say...) to tow with it. Overall though, I'd still prefer the standard V8 gasoline engine.

But hey, what do I know about fuel efficiency? Our other vehicle is a HUMMER. The Cayenne is the most fuel efficient of our daily drivers...

Now if they made the HUMMER H3 in a diesel, they would be on to something!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ok....

what exactly were you thinking to accomplish with a V8 hybrid???

oh, i forgot, you can already get one. take a look at the GM Tahoe "dual mode" hybrid. it is a fine example of why GM is rapidly becoming a much smaller car company, perhaps unto singularity.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
A Cayenne hybrid in any form doesn't excite me. If I want a hybrid, I won't buy a Cayenne.
Why is that. The Cayenne Hybrid system will be the only Hybrid that can do 75 mph on the hwy and still be using the electric engine. Any other Hybrid would have switched to the gas engine at a far lower speed.

When my lease is up on the S in 2010, the Hybrid will be its replacement.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Maybe my view is simple-minded, but I think a hybrid vehicle is one that is purchased primarily for increased fuel efficiency as opposed to performance. I have no problem with hybrid cars, but in an SUV, especially a performance oriented SUV, I'd rather have a gasoline engine. Therefore, if I am going to buy a hybrid vehicle, it will most likely be a car, and not an SUV.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Maybe my view is simple-minded, but I think a hybrid vehicle is one that is purchased primarily for increased fuel efficiency as opposed to performance. I have no problem with hybrid cars, but in an SUV, especially a performance oriented SUV, I'd rather have a gasoline engine. Therefore, if I am going to buy a hybrid vehicle, it will most likely be a car, and not an SUV.
Ok, I can see your point. A car does not fit my life style, My family requires the space and AWD grip for those long trips on winter roads that an SUV provides. A car simply doesn't cut it. Also I want to drive something Luxurious and save on gas money.
I don't like having a vechicle for specific functions and the Cayenne is a good all round vechicle that does it all. If I were just needing a ride for a long daily commute and didn't care what I looked like driving it, I would get a smart car or small hybrid car. Actually I think I would buy a diesel VW golf GTI or a wagon instead. The thing is I do care what I drive and I enjoy driving, my daily commute is about 5 miles to work and driving a crap car would be annoying. Instead a drive a car that I love and enjoy, something that makes my morning and drive home something to look forward to.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Ok, I can see your point. A car does not fit my life style, My family requires the space and AWD grip for those long trips on winter roads that an SUV provides. A car simply doesn't cut it. Also I want to drive something Luxurious and save on gas money.
I don't like having a vechicle for specific functions and the Cayenne is a good all round vechicle that does it all. If I were just needing a ride for a long daily commute and didn't care what I looked like driving it, I would get a smart car or small hybrid car. Actually I think I would buy a diesel VW golf GTI or a wagon instead. The thing is I do care what I drive and I enjoy driving, my daily commute is about 5 miles to work and driving a crap car would be annoying. Instead a drive a car that I love and enjoy, something that makes my morning and drive home something to look forward to.
All good points. It will be interesting to see how well the Cayenne hybrid sells.

Any idea how the other hybrid SUVs (Lexus, Chevy Tahoe, etc.) sell? Is there big interest in the market for these vehicles?
Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well

the lexus and escape hybrids are selling well (as is everything hybrid at the moment). i looked at the escape, but they are using the toyota system (talk about role reversal) which doesn't actually give you true AWD.

the tahoe is hillarious 18 vs 14 mpg for an incredible amount of complexity and a 10% increase in cost.

here is a review

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/au...ws/27AUTO.html

i suspect the cayenne will be even worse.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Why is that. The Cayenne Hybrid system will be the only Hybrid that can do 75 mph on the hwy and still be using the electric engine. Any other Hybrid would have switched to the gas engine at a far lower speed.

When my lease is up on the S in 2010, the Hybrid will be its replacement.
OK, pop quiz:
Pardon me, but exactly how long can a Cayenne Hybrid do 75 mph on the highway strictly on electric engine?
Take your time, this is an open book quiz........

I think you'll be surprised at the answer
Old 08-07-2008, 08:35 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, pop quiz:
Pardon me, but exactly how long can a Cayenne Hybrid do 75 mph on the highway strictly on electric engine?
Take your time, this is an open book quiz........

I think you'll be surprised at the answer
until the battery needs charging
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=jumper5836;5677885]Why is that. The Cayenne Hybrid system will be the only Hybrid that can do 75 mph on the hwy and still be using the electric engine. Any other Hybrid would have switched to the gas engine at a far lower speed.

I don't get it. How can the Cayenne be using the electric engine at 75mph and yet still get such crappy gas mileage??
Old 08-08-2008, 02:00 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=medtech;5684129]

I don't get it. How can the Cayenne be using the electric engine at 75mph and yet still get such crappy gas mileage??
26 mpg is crappy? for a 5k lb truck?
That what my 3200 lb sports car gets on the hwy.

Quick Reply: Hybrid