Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower Motor Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Stone43
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you. It is quite funny, because every time I bring it up, the look on my service guy's face tells me that it is a pain in the *** job that they really don't want to mess with. And my reply is simply "tough ****e!"
Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 AM
pred8or
Racer

OK so how many documented cases of the Blower motor do we have? And also how many cases of the much more expensive blend door actuator do we have?

Mine was the blower motor on a 2004CS with 85K.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 942 Posts

Mine was apparently NOT a blend air door actuator (at least not the one on the left side), because replacing that didn't fix the problem. We'll know more (possibly) in a few weeks when it goes back in to the dealer.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
pred8or
Racer

OK Dennis keep us posted and good luck!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Yet another update.

I took the Cayenne in this morning as scheduled. This time, the technician actually came out for a ride with me to listen to the strange sounds coming from behind my dash. Fortunately, the Cayenne made the noise as expected. They are now no longer looking for a blend air door actuator, and believe it is something else.

After a day diagnosing, they called me with a few questions this afternoon. How long does it make the noise, when does it make the noise, etc.

I am supposed to hear more tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I am driving an Audi A4 loaner. Not bad, but I want my car back.

Hopefully we'll have a proper diagnosis tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:45 AM
pred8or
Racer

Wow very interesting will check back tomorrow for a another update.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Stone43
Racer

That is what kills me.

You take the dealer out for a ride, ID the noise, etc. They have the car and then they come back to you to ask all of those detailed questions that if they actually took the time to diagnose, they could figure out themselves. My reply is usually, "I described the problem, showed you the problem and now you have the vehicle. Start the damn thing up and listen for yourself."

These guys can drive me crazy.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stone43
That is what kills me.

You take the dealer out for a ride, ID the noise, etc. They have the car and then they come back to you to ask all of those detailed questions that if they actually took the time to diagnose, they could figure out themselves. My reply is usually, "I described the problem, showed you the problem and now you have the vehicle. Start the damn thing up and listen for yourself." These guys can drive me crazy.
Wow.... bet that has them hopping to get your car done quickly. Talk that way to the women in your life, too?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

It is frustrating. When the car first went in for this issue in late 2007, the service writer described the problem as a "clicking" sound. This led to the diagnosis of blend-air door actuator. On the second visit, I described the noise as a mechanical "humming" noise. This time, when the service technician actually heard the noise in the car with me, he said "Oh, that's it? I was listening for a clicking noise". At least he has now heard the noise for himself.

This is a seemingly minor issue, but I want to get it fixed while still under warranty, and before it becomes a major issue.

I spoke with the service writer today, and he says they are still having a problem diagnosing the problem. They have been on the phone several times with Porsche to try to figure it out - thus the second round of questioning.

Looks like I've got the Audi for another day!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Further diagnosis...

I heard from the dealer again today. They have a diagnosis, and things have taken a different pathway than originally thought. The diagnosis now is noise from the coolant after-run pump. They have ordered parts, and the car will be ready tomorrow.

According to the service writer, there is a TSB regarding this issue. I did find one - #1945 in which the concerns are listed as: "Additional coolant pump noise can be heard in the passenger compartment. Foam rubber strips can be installed on the coolant line brackets (holders) to eliminate this pump noise."

We'll see if this does it.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Stone43
Racer

Originally Posted by MadFox
Wow.... bet that has them hopping to get your car done quickly. Talk that way to the women in your life, too?
Well considering I don't pay the women in my life.....the answer is no.

I am just frustrated as well as my pig has been in twice for the same problem, they told me that they have replaced all of the motors and the damn car still has the problem. They like to boast the fact that they are a Premium Porsche Dealer and I am just looking to get this resolved. I never, ever had these types of issues when I had 911's and used 3rd party mechanics.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 PM
pred8or
Racer

Dennis , I was at the dealer the other day and the service advisor asked how the blower motor was doing? Almost like he didnt want to hear the answer. I said well I'm a little paranoid with your question , and I have imagined it making noise a few times because of your ongoing issue. So far so good but I do hear some humming noises and they go away when the fan is completly off. I have no idea how they could possibly misdiagnose that so bad . Thanks for the continued updates. Hoping for a good outcome for you. I am off warantee and will have a fit if they misdiagnose like that!

Tim,
Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tim. I hope they got it right too. It's always hard to diagnose problems that come and go. Now you hear it... now you dont...

It still wasn't ready today - the parts are in and they are working on it. Should have it back tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
pred8or
Racer

Well Dennis no news is good news?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I'm afraid not. I drove the car for a few days, and it seemed that the problem was solved. Now the noise is back. I am beginning to think maybe it is supposed to sound this way and I am going mental...

Quick Reply: Blower Motor Update