Sponsored by:

Winter Sneakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Sneakers

Hello all...fairly new to the forum, the cayenne one at least.

I have been searching around for weeks but still have a question...

Will CT make it through winter in SE PA with a good set of all-season tires or does it really need dedicated winters? Is any one else in the area running all season tires? Also are the the Toyo ST tires ok to use without the n rating?

thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
shonuf
Addict
Rennlist Member

i run pirelli scorpian 275 X 45 20s. n idaho. the standard tires on a turbos would not cut it.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Agreed - the P Zero's would be useless in the winter. The p scorpions is one of the tires I was looking at - how have they been in the snow?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

The Scoroions failed me here, but otherwise have been good

Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

LMAO...that was great I usually stay in under those conditions
Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the Scorps on my CS close to a year. They did aaaight in the east coast snow.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:25 AM
sc3gte
1st Gear

i had the same question also. I was thinking of taking my p scorpions off for some scorpion ice's
Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 982 Posts
Default P Zero...

My Saab Aero came from the factory with P Zero Rosso tires... they were great on dry pavement, and horrible on anything else. I think the original set lasted for 16,000 miles, and they were bald then! I ended up switching those out to P Zero Nero M+S. This was a great choice... very good on dry, and reasonable performance in wet condition and on snow.

Has anybody ever used the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S on a Cayenne? Are they Porsche approved for this vehicle? If so, they might be a good choice if you want an all season tire.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
JRCTT
Instructor

The P Zero Nero is a great tire, I have used them on my S4 but they are not N rated and I do not see them as an option for the cayenne rim sizes. I think the Toyo ST is a great tire and a great price available for the cayenne - only issue is it is not N rated which was part of my original question - does it matter??
Old 10-12-2007, 11:04 AM
sigs
Racer

If you search this and other Cayenne forums, you'll find favorable reviews of the Toyo STs. Aside from them not being N-rated (which is the subject of many more threads), some of their sizes aren't technically (or weren't when I last looked) M+S rated - supposedly something to do with the tread depth when new being too shallow to meet the required specs, even though the tread design is the same, according to the rep I talked to. While this may have little practical difference, it may cause you issues if you try to drive on roads where the local constabulary checks your tires for the official ratings.

I decided on the Pirelli Scorp Ice & Snow, although I went with a non-N-rated size (275/45-19, instead of the N-rated 255/55-19), since I see little snow, occasional ice, and a lot of dry pavement during the winter. They did great in the 6" of snow and ice I encountered. They were surprisingly good on pavement (less vibration than my OEM P-Zero Rossos), and showed minimal wear over about 3K miles, which surprised me, although I really didn't push them like I do my summer tires.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Does "N-rated" refer to speed rating? Perhaps I don't understand tire ratings all that well, but an N-rated tire is designed to be safely used at speeds up to 87 miles per hour. I would think that a tire rated for a higher speed would be an acceptable substitute.

My Porsche dealer installed a set of Hankook Ventus ST tires on my Cayenne, and he said that they were recently Porsche approved. Mine are 275/40R20. These tires are rated as 106W, which indicates a maximum safe speed of 168 miles per hour, and a load rating of 2,094 lbs. per tire at maximum speed. They are M+S rated. I haven't had them in snow yet, but the northern Indiana winter is right around the corner, so I can provide an update soon.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

SIGS - I did do the research and found the same information as you stated above regarding the Toyo ST - my real questions to the forum is what the opinion of using non N rated tires is.

ADDICT - N rating means they are Porsche approved it is not a speed rating - as you stated above W is the speed rating.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRCTT
SIGS - I did do the research and found the same information as you stated above regarding the Toyo ST - my real questions to the forum is what the opinion of using non N rated tires is.

ADDICT - N rating means they are Porsche approved it is not a speed rating - as you stated above W is the speed rating.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The number on the N rating is the number of times a specific tire size from a particular tire manufacturer has gone through the homologation process.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:07 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JRCTT
Hello all...fairly new to the forum, the cayenne one at least.

I have been searching around for weeks but still have a question...

Will CT make it through winter in SE PA with a good set of all-season tires or does it really need dedicated winters? Is any one else in the area running all season tires? Also are the the Toyo ST tires ok to use without the n rating?

thanks
Welcome, you should try the search function. This is a fairly common question. Let me be the odd ball here and make a resounding NO for the Pirelli Scorpions. While they work just fine in the snow, the sound, the wobble of the tire and the fact that even re-balancing the tires wasn't enough to get these tires to drive correctly will keep me from ever owning another pair. I am not alone!

I will be trying the Blizzaks this year. They seem to get a fairly decent rating.

Quick Reply: Winter Sneakers